Just want to know, does anyone use a bass amp when playing guitar? I heard a few bands do it, but does it actually make a good tone, or is it just a gimmick. And i play hard rock with some blues etc influences, would it be worth getting a bass amp to try it?
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Not worth buying a bass amp to just use it for a regular guitar.

Go to a store and try it
The Bassman was originally designed as a bass amp, look what happened.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I was bass player before I was a guitarist and so I just use my bass amp for my guitar. It works just fine for practice. It gives you a nice warm tone and you can get probably alot louder than a guitar amp of equal watts. I have a Peavey Predator EXP and my amp is a Behringer 60W Bass amp. I wouldn't go out and buy a bass amp just to play your guitar on it but if you take up bass guitar too then it's a good idea to just use a bass amp.
I use a Marshall head through a bass amp, it has an awesome tone, and alot of variations are possible. Really it's up to you depending on the sound you want.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Depends on what amp it is, and what speakers you're using. Plugging my guitar into my Traynor bass combo that's got a 15" speaker just sounds muddy.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
If both a bass amp and guitar amp are all tube, you will notice that Bassamp tend to be darker and bassier, since a guitar amp's preamp tend to use higher cathode capacitor value. Also, I notice that bass amps tend to be a bit cleaner.

Thus, a well designed bass tube amp is good for blues; maybe not so much for metal, though.
Still, that time I tried out my guitar on the YBA200 is just plain fun... Reviews on Harmony central indicate that it distort early, which is hated by bassist but love by us, so I may get that amp as my head in the future (or just rent it... go to love L&M for that!)

EDIT: Would personally love to try SVT if it's not so expensive.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 21, 2008,