Anyways i have been going to college for a different career. My dream has always been to be a guitar player but in a career level, and to teach music and all. So I was studying a web design major in college, finished two years of it, but in one of my classes I was given a D. I had a 3.7 GPA, and this D is probably gonna drop it way down. The D has demotivated me from going on. So I feel i should just give it up, and study what I always wanted! That is, music.

Is it too hard to make a living as an educated musician?
Should I finish classes, or follow my dream?
I have a job as a web designer, but they require I stay learning more and more, so I would lose that too.
music ftw

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I don't know what to say. I think you should have something to fall back onto incase the guitar thing doesn't work out, but I'm being a hypocrite as at the moment I really can't be bothered with education anymore and just want to leave it to play guitar full time as well.
At first I was going to nag about how a single "D" was enough for you to consider dropping out and how you should stick with the major you have because of all the time you put into it, but....

Then I realized that that is probably the best proof you have of why you should pursue music. A single bad letter grade is pretty trivial compared that will likely happen to you as you finish you're major. And then after that you have a whole lifetime doing a job related to that major that you're pretty obviously not that interested in.

Normally I would advise you to stick with your major because of all the work you put into it, but it's obvious your heart and mind are in a different place so I say go for the music. You'll probably have to make more sacrifices along the way, but the payoff should be more than worth it if it's what you really want to do.

Hope that made sense.
Dont get me wrong I like Web design too. I like my job, I love it, but I love playing a whole lot more. The web design still feels like work. Playing, I have played for days nearly nonstop with little sleeping breaks, its just soooo much more rewarding to me than the money of web design. Is kind of like choosing between a money life, and a life of a POSSIBILITY of a good living.
If you have the option of pursuing a career in professional music, I would never let it slip.

But make sure you have a means of living on your way to getting there (job) and something to fall back to if you fail to achieve your goal (job).

Basically what I am saying is: find a job at another design company that don't require you to study as much and try to give you the freedom to pursue your music career. Just avoid a point of no return situation at all cost, taking the plunge to early on in your career might turn awry and leave you significantly set back.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
it depends, how good are you? are you really good? how much theory do you know? can you read? do you listen to/play more than just rock music?
Quote by chea_man
it depends, how good are you? are you really good? how much theory do you know? can you read? do you listen to/play more than just rock music?

Technique wise im very good. I can switch chords fast, solo real fast and such. I can't sight read, and I am beginnerish in theory. I know im using the stuff they teach on theory, but i never studied it, which is another reason i wanna go to school (so I can undersand it better). I have made some really good songs with my exband. Sometimes I play without sleep, until I find the perfect riff, or chord. I know some chord construction.

This is all improvised http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6545849
Its not perfect, but I feel it's pretty good for a guitar player who has never been taught. I have other recordings, in black metal, which is a completely different genre. Im pretty versatil, but I feel with the theory knowledge, I could become a teacher, in case the music itself doesnt pay. And with the knowledge i could also become a better player. My two favorite players both know lots of theory, Joe Satriani, buckethead
You didn't happen to install Dimarzio D-activators in your guitar recently, did you?

Lulz.

On a more serious note, if you feel you won't be happy down the line doing web design, then I wouldn't bother finishing the degree.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
If you're gonna try and have a career in music, I would highly advise learning theory and sheet music.
Yes I will be thought reading sheet music, and theory. At least thats the point. I want to learn, like really learn theory.

By the way I think I will be satisfied working in web design, but I will on the other hand be IMMENSELY happy if I do get a chance in music. So I don't know if I should go for the doubtful path that could make me much happier, or the one that will surely make me live ok
Quote by lespaulrocks39
You didn't happen to install Dimarzio D-activators in your guitar recently, did you?

Lulz.

On a more serious note, if you feel you won't be happy down the line doing web design, then I wouldn't bother finishing the degree.

Why do you say that?

I installed them a while ago. Before i put the OFR. They are not D activators. They are the D-activator X which I am really liking for they are a lil cleaner with the volume rolled down, and more x2n like with the volume rolled up. Incredibly versatil pups.
Quote by nyandres
Why do you say that?

I installed them a while ago. Before i put the OFR. They are not D activators. They are the D-activator X which I am really liking for they are a lil cleaner with the volume rolled down, and more x2n like with the volume rolled up. Incredibly versatil pups.

I *think* it was a joke about how you were D-motivated. which, ofcourse, isn't a word.... yeah. I think.

anyways, being able to teach music has nothing to do with how you are as a player. It's everything with how you are as a teacher. Based on that, saying "I can play pretty fast and switch chords and my form is good and stuff but idk sheet music and am beginnerish in music theory", I'd say take your time making the decision, because the stuff you're good at has nothing to do with the career you're thinking of here.

If you go to school for music, you will be a music teacher for the most part and not a private instructor. A private instructor can make do without sheet music knowledge or anything - people always want to learn guitar. You can't teach music without music knowledge, of which "soloing fast and stuff" isn't really a part of.

anyways, its ultimately your choice. I dropped out of school for a year until I found the right school (or right enough school) and was able to music education major. I highly support something similiar.

I'm just saying... its not what you seem to be think it is. It isn't sitting around and playing guitar all day. It's teaching all day.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I would continue your career with web design IF you really enjoy it, don't let the D bring you down. But if you honestly don't like your job don't continue, you're doing it the rest of your life.

Anyways like I said if you enjoy it I would consider going part time to college once your done with your web design education to be maybe a 'serious' music hobbyist ? Thats what I would do. Ultimately follow your dreams.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
I would continue your career with web design IF you really enjoy it, don't let the D bring you down. But if you honestly don't like your job don't continue, you're doing it the rest of your life.

Anyways like I said if you enjoy it I would consider going part time to college once your done with your web design education to be maybe a 'serious' music hobbyist ? Thats what I would do. Ultimately follow your dreams.

Thing is I wanna interact with other educated musicians. I have some musician friends, who arent to serious with their music. I feel his way I may be able to find some people who are as serious for music as I am. WHich i feel makes a good band.
Dude I think you wanna play in a band for a living not be a music teacher...what you need to do is fidn a good dedicated band and keep web design going for when the band fails and doesn't get signed. Just take some music theory classes to help you be a better writer.
I wanna play in a band, teach music on the side, write soundtracks. Make myself a website as a guitarist. But I just want to make myself an insanely good musician.
You need to be realistic. The fact that being a musician is your dream and that you can solo fast isn't enough. You need to know exactly you want to do in music, and you really need be able to be honest with yourself and assess whether or not you've got what it takes to do that. I'd say don't let one bad grade deter you from continuing on with what you're doing. Finish school and keep practicing/looking into carreers in music, and when you have your degree, you can reassess the situation.
Quote by nyandres
I wanna play in a band, teach music on the side, write soundtracks. Make myself a website as a guitarist. But I just want to make myself an insanely good musician.

It'll be very difficult to do all 3 of those. Each of them is very time consuming. It sounds though like your dream is trying to make it with a band.
D:
Signature.
Quote by Atomic48
It'll be very difficult to do all 3 of those. Each of them is very time consuming. It sounds though like your dream is trying to make it with a band.

Thats a big part of it. I been in various bands. But I would like a band in which everyone is willing to put time for the band, which has always been found. If I go the school I think ill find other people whos number 1 priority is the music.