Page 1 of 2
Like me i bet all of you can't stand sellouts. But I can't seem to ever when this arguement against my friends on whether Metallica sold out or not. I want ot hear what all of you think.
no there not sellouts the only reason ppl say that is cause they cut there hair
Metallica aint sold out - from what ive heard the new albums gonna be proper metallica again
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Metallica didn't sell out they got kind of tired of doing the same thing so they tried new things. I hate it when people say things like "Metallica should have stopped after the Black Album".
I mean do you really think they'd be like "Yeah so our album just went #1 on the Billboard charts and a lot of people like us and we're really enjoying what we're doing but I think we should stop because there are some people who don't like our new music"?

Selling out = being successful and other people being jealous.
Last edited by tom-the-lawn at May 21, 2008,
whats wrong with it? oh no they want more money, who doesnt, you'd have to be retarded not to
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
Its not that they cut their hair. Its because they are barely metal at all now. I mean listen to Mama Said off of Load and you cant tell me thats metal. They were all about how metal they were but now there not.
haha
no one in this thread can spell, or use the right words
"i cant seem to when this argument"
nice
and it's they're, not there mavtx41
and stueey just needs to be slapped

on topic, it's not selling out if you do it solely for the music.
i do not know enough about Metallica's case specifically in order to make a fair judgment
but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it for the money
Quote by kevin14u2nv
heck yeah its gonna be heavy its gonna be in Drop A tuning and the opening line of the CD will be like Worship god

and then the pope just does a freakin brutal breakdown
How did they sell out by making an album that 99% of their fans hated?
Facebook.com/Notafluke
Quote by zigz407
How did they sell out by making an album that 99% of their fans hated?

Well even if you're talking about their fan base prior to the Black Album I don't really think that's a very valid statement, lots of people liked that cd (or at least that I've talked to).

Why can't people realise they didn't try to make Master of Puppets 2 because it would be ****ty?! Being original was what got Metallica where they were today, at least partially.
Last edited by tom-the-lawn at May 21, 2008,
I was talking mainly about St. Anger.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
For more information on the topic of selling out, please refer to Tool's "Hooker With A Penis".
That explains selling out completely for me.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
You know what gets my goat? A shepherd. Urgh.

Quote by meh!
Pfft, everyone gets your goat, your goat is a goat-slut. She/he/it is like the village uni-cycle..all of the clowns have had a ride..and you live in CLOWN VILLAGE.
I have a philosophy regarding anything Metallica nowadays, and it goes like so:

I don't care.

Call it nihilism, call it whatever you want.
I've found Jesus
Metallica is Metallica and a pear is a pear. If you dont like it, then who really cares. Personally i think even the St. Anger album was good.
Quote by zigz407
I was talking mainly about St. Anger.

Yeah but when people talk about Metallica 'selling out' it's always either after the Black Album or Load or Reload. I mean by St. Anger the people who called them sell outs then probably aren't going to care about them 10 years later.
Ok, I see now.
I don't think the Black Album was selling out, but Load and Reload are terrible albums in my opinion. I don't think it was really selling out though because those albums weren't as popular as their other albums.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
What's interesting is that this needs not one, but TWO peripheral threads aside from the Metallica Only Thread to discuss this bull****.
I've found Jesus
Quote by zigz407
Ok, I see now.
I don't think the Black Album was selling out, but Load and Reload are terrible albums in my opinion. I don't think it was really selling out though because those albums weren't as popular as their other albums.

um the black album is their best selling album

and i read an interview once where lars was saying how they would go to hair metal shows and throw stuff at the bands for not being metal enough and now look at them

if thats not selling out i dont know wut is
Tim Henson 08

Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.
As I posted in the other thread. I dont believe in that sellout crap, I really dont, if your music makes commercial mainstream success then hell more power to you! If you want to change your sound to keep that success level, go for it. I dont want to have to keep a day job and live the "struggling musician" life if I dont have to, I want to make a living doing what I love to do which is music and I dont want to have to do something on the side unless I WANT to.
Good point Contraband.

Why the hell do you have 2 thread's for one stupid subject?

It doesn't really matter if they did or didn't..I only like the first 4 albums anyways.
I think they sold out because of the Napster issue, not because of their music. Yes, they started making music that had a more commercial sound, but that doesn't mean they sold out. They just did what they wanted to do, which is pretty much the opposite of selling out.
I really don't care. At all. For all I care a band that's sold out could make the best music in the world and it wouldn't change my opinion of the music. The end product is what I'm concerned with, not the motivation behind it or the surrounding events.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In hindsight, if I really bother thinking about anybody selling out, then I personally conclude that musical dignity can legitimately be sacrificed for the enhanced financial wellness of the creators without any regard to the needs of old fans and to their own pursuit to make meaningful soundwaves embedded into plastic. Whether your music touches anybody or not is a completely different issue than selling out as it takes into account the prevalence of the value of creativity and musical legacy over capital gain. It's all a personal difference of values. Nobody is to say that the creative value of music supercedes that of its commercial value or vice versa. In the poetic worlds of Ancient Greece and Renaissance Europe, that could be said, as people had a fondness for natural aesthetics (which a lot of metal tends to embody for me, ie Agalloch). But today, whatever gets you through the day is viable because everyone in this world chooses their own lifestyle (and their deathstyle too, lol).
I've found Jesus
Quote by prison sex
whats wrong with it? oh no they want more money, who doesnt, you'd have to be retarded not to

Obviously you aren't capable of thinking outside the box on anything. Have you ever considered the fact that people might make music cause...you know...they like making music? Oh what's the word I'm looking for... passion perhaps? Nah, can't be. Idiot.

Anyways...

A) Metallica sucked from day one
B) They did sell out because they chose to alienate their metal fans and stop making "thrash" and start making generic radio rock. This action has created a large scale of morons who say "yeah I like Metal, I looooove Metallica!" No, shut up, you don't like Metal, go home.
C) Their shift in direction was also pivotal in forging the aggressive rock movement also known as "nu-metal." The Black Album paved the way for lots of aggressive rock bands like Korn to start preying on the angst of young pimply teenagers wearing giant black pants that claimed themselves to be metalheads.
D) They totally ditched their originality (even though it sucked to begin with) to become a money making ***** with no real sense of self worth. This is the definition of "selling out." So all you Metallica fan boys, or idiots like the thoughtless fail-vector I quoted above can take your "METALLICA CAN DO NO WRONG, CEPT FOR ST. ANGER" attitudes, shine them up, wrap them with a Metallica poster, shove it directly into your anus, turn on St. Anger and dip your genitals in a bathtub of sulfuric acid.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Terror Kovenant

A) Metallica sucked from day one

SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by stueey
ud sellout if u could. if u wudnt ud be ****in stupid tbh.

Uh...

Yeah...

A lot of metal bands have been reported of "selling out"

Opeth were called sell-outs on Blackwater Park and Damnation...and, they aren't exactly a bad band.

Sell-out =/= lots of money.

Most of you foos fail to realize that that isn't even close to what that means
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993

Uh...

Yeah...

A lot of metal bands have been reported of "selling out"

Opeth were called sell-outs on Blackwater Park and Damnation...and, they aren't exactly a bad band.

Sell-out =/= lots of money.

Most of you foos fail to realize that that isn't even close to what that means

I dont really see how they sold out for either of those albums. Especially for BWP. Each Opeth album is significantly different from the others anyways....

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
I dont really see how they sold out for either of those albums. Especially for BWP. Each Opeth album is significantly different from the others anyways....

Trsut me, I've heard it. Plenty.

If you think I was saying they were sell-outs, you don't know anything about me

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Trsut me, I've heard it. Plenty.

If you think I was saying they were sell-outs, you don't know anything about me

No, not at all, just merely continuing the discussion. I've only heard that Damnation was them selling out, but I just don't see how. It wasn't a move towards anything that would make them any more money than a regular album, it was just them expanding upon the acoustic breaks in their songs...

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
No, not at all, just merely continuing the discussion. I've only heard that Damnation was them selling out, but I just don't see how. It wasn't a move towards anything that would make them any more money than a regular album, it was just them expanding upon the acoustic breaks in their songs...

Aight, just making sure.

But, yeah, well I've heard BwP called a sellout album because they expanded on their acoustics even more than previously (though Still Life has quite a few acoustic sections), and that they were attempting to start to ditch their death/black influences from the older albums like My Arms... and Morningrise.

Damnation...has been called a sellout only because of what you said, because they thought Opeth were going to adhere strictly to that style...

Expecting something like that, from Opeth, was the first mistake.

Quote by eggsandham2
Mikael stated his intentions directly before Damnation was even recorded, yet idiot fans still protested with "OMGZ THIS IS WHAT OPETH IS BECOMING?!?!" Vectors of fail those people are.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)

Quote by Terror Kovenant
Mikael stated his intentions directly before Damnation was even recorded, yet idiot fans still protested with "OMGZ THIS IS WHAT OPETH IS BECOMING?!?!" Vectors of fail those people are.

Some people.

I can't imagine what the original Opeth fans (around when Orchid first came out) felt when Opeth released MAYH and Still Life. Probably complete and utter confusion, going from a Blackinfluenced/Melodic Death Metal band to a straight Progressive Death Metal band.

Quote by eggsandham2
The entire concept of "selling out", particularly how its thrown around in the genre of metall, is extremely adolescent and stupid in my opinion.

More often than not, the case is that a band (like Metallica) simply wanted to try a different sound, or something to that extent. And just as often, it plays into the childish illusion of feeling special for being a fan of a band that not many people know about. It's sad when a band may then become more popular, and those fans decide that the band must have therefor sacrificed musical integrity in doing so.
But Opeth could not be viewed as sell-outs 'cuz their music isn't aimed at radio at all, besides what RR decides to do w/ the song, as far as length editing.

...and the music he's creating now is a reflection of the music he's been into more and more so the last few years... the old-school prog.

I truly believe in this bands immunity towards "selling out."
Quote by guitgrinder
But Opeth could not be viewed as sell-outs 'cuz their music isn't aimed at radio at all, besides what RR decides to do w/ the song, as far as length editing.

...and the music he's creating now is a reflection of the music he's been into more and more so the last few years... the old-school prog.

I truly believe in this bands immunity towards "selling out."

You really did not read anything I said did you?

I said the "hardcore br00ta4lz fanz" didn't like the sudden increase and acousticness (not to say Opeth never included them, heh). And, Damnation was the same thing.

Besides, Damnation was/is a very popular and successful album.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Delanoir
The entire concept of "selling out", particularly how its thrown around in the genre of metall, is extremely adolescent and stupid in my opinion.

More often than not, the case is that a band (like Metallica) simply wanted to try a different sound, or something to that extent. And just as often, it plays into the childish illusion of feeling special for being a fan of a band that not many people know about. It's sad when a band may then become more popular, and those fans decide that the band must have therefor sacrificed musical integrity in doing so.

Look at it this way:
What if Alexi Laiho came out onstage dressed like and played total emo crap?
Him being one of your favorite musicians, how would you feel about that?

Metallica did that.
From raging metal alcoholics, to... whatever that was.
I love all their music, but that's 'cuz that's how they've always been since I've been listening...

But I can tell you that if Devin Townsend showed up in some pop-punk band, or Mikael Akerfeldt was modelling trendy clothes, I'd be pretty disappointed.
^If Townsend or Akerfeldt did that, it would be for the lulz no doubt. A sick sense of the lulz though.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
^If Townsend or Akerfeldt did that, it would be for the lulz no doubt. A sick sense of the lulz though.

Wes talking 'bout Dev and Mike, here.

Not Kirk and Kerry.

/stupid "joke"

Serious answer: Mikael and Devin would do it, I can see, especially for the lulz.

Quote by eggsandham2
Page 1 of 2