hey, i have an epi eb3 bass, an im lookin to get a little thumb rest for just above the E string, any ideas where i can get such an item
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12

UK? lol

Edit: plus, why do i see lots of bass with them on the pickgaurd, what possible use are they there?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at May 21, 2008,
Quote by CaptainJack666
UK? lol

Edit: plus, why do i see lots of bass with them on the pickgaurd, what possible use are they there?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_thumbrest.htm There you go

Anyway, if you're talking about below the G string on a pickguard, that was only on early basses and modern reissues that try to be "vintage." When the electric bass was designed, the designers thought it would be played only with the thumb, therefore using what we know as a "thumb rest" as a finger anchor for thumb-style playing.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

cool, thanks, u reckon it would be easy to screw in, u know, without damagin ma body
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
It will definitely damage the body (running two screws into it), so make sure you want it there permanently. Otherwise you could do it, take it off, and live with two screw holes in the body. It's your choice. I recommend running it through a pickguard of some kind (if your bass has one), but running it right into the body shouldn't be a problem if you're positive you want to keep it there; and it's very easy to install, anyone with basic knowledge of what a screwdriver is and how to use it should be able to do it.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by CaptainJack666
cool, thanks, u reckon it would be easy to screw in, u know, without damagin ma body

With an Epi bass, two screw holes are the least of your worries.
Quote by Captain Insano
With an Epi bass, two screw holes are the least of your worries.

oooh sick burn, its a great bass, go away
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
This is a personal preference mixed with some stuff I have read, but...

THUMB ANCHORING IS A BAD IDEA

Not just for looks of the bass, but for the well being of you hand, by resting your thumb and anchoring your hand, it can screw up the muscles later on, best thing is to just let your hand float, it also means you get better technique
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire

Not just for looks of the bass, but for the well being of you hand, by resting your thumb and anchoring your hand, it can screw up the muscles later on, best thing is to just let your hand float, it also means you get better technique

As far as I know, that's a myth. There are many, many people who have wrested their thumb on the neck/bridge pickup exclusively (I'm one of them) and it's caused them no trouble.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by ChemicalFire

I don't really think that's true. I've always disliked using thumbrests because they get in the way, and I like to float my thumb around anyways. IMHO, it's better to rest your thumb on your pickup or nothing at all when playing the lowest string, and move it up to the string when you're playing a higher one to mute it, but there are plenty of people who do just fine without using this technique. It's just a matter of preference.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

stick a single coil in between the other pickups and use that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Predrill pilot holes before you install the thumb rest.

Put a piece of masking tape over the area where you'd like to attach the thumb rest. Then place the thumb rest over the tape in the desired location. Use a pencil to make a mark in the centre of each hole. Put the thumb rest away and predrill the holes using a tiny drill bit -- much smaller in diameter than the screws. Drill in reverse to start the hole. Try to match the depth of the screws.

Remove tape (tape helps prevent chipping of the surface during drilling) and install the thumb rest. Don't overtighten -- stop as soon as you feel resistance. This should help keep the holes as clean as possible, so that if you change your mind, you can fill them neatly with wood filler and buff the surface flat.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by aprilfool2112
I don't really think that's true. I've always disliked using thumbrests because they get in the way, and I like to float my thumb around anyways. IMHO, it's better to rest your thumb on your pickup or nothing at all when playing the lowest string, and move it up to the string when you're playing a higher one to mute it, but there are plenty of people who do just fine without using this technique. It's just a matter of preference.

It was in a copy of "Bass Magazine" a few months back
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!