Page 1 of 2
#1
Everyone freaks out over drum solos, but why? I appreciate the technical skill involved, but the actual music sounds like rape. There's absolutely no beat in about 90% of them, just a bunch of random hitting (ex: Moby Dick). The best drummers are ones that just do complex, but meaningful, beats (ex: Dominic Howard). Agree, disagree, abstain?
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
#2
I can tolerate them as long as they aren't really long but I don't really enjoy any.
#3
Drum solos are among the most boring things in the world. They're fun for a minute, tops, then I lose interest.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
#4
As long as they aren't over 30 seconds, they're ok.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead


Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
#5
Very much like red M&Ms, sometimes they're cool.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
#6
They're only good when you see them live. Otherwise they have no energy. Mike Portnoy is intense at drumming, and I don't find his solos boring.

But maybe it's his beard...
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
#7
When done right they're amazing..

Der Trommler?

..anyone?
Dissonance is Bliss


Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb



Member #4 of the Carvin Club
#8
As long as it sounds good then I like/enjoy them. When it sounds like a drum kit being thrown down a flight of stairs then jumped on by an angry fat man wearing steel toed boots they piss me off.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.


Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels


Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
#9
I enjoy a good drum solo just as i enjoy a good guitar solo. some excessive 30 minute drummer with no timing or control i can do without though.
#11
well my friend does a drum solo thats hella long at the end of one of his band's songs so that his bandmates can drop d their guitars. He does it hella well and it actually has a beat. I guess u just have to believe in the beat for it to be their you know.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee
Quote by webbtje
You wish. She probably thinks you're a Stalin/Hitler hybrid... Stitler
In fact, from now on, I'm going to call you Stitler.

Quote by rushmore

it's always nice to find a new reason to smile
#12
if there is some melodic guitar playing in front of it... it wouldnt be so bad

and time restraints are always important, too
I see no sign of fortress.
#13
Any kind of solo is boring if it's done incorrectly.

You should listen to Tool's The Grudge, at the end of the song there is a 30 second drum solo that is just so fscking intense, that your hairs stand on end. 30 seconds that drive it all home. much more effective than 30 minutes of repetition.
#14
They're cool as long as they're not too long... that applies to any instrument though, including guitar.

Check out Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich, or even Terry Bozzio (his drumset is so huge that it allows him to tune his drums in chromatic and diatonic pitches so that he can actually make melodies).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.


WARNING: I kill threads.
#15
Quote by evening_crow
They're cool as long as they're not too long... that applies to any instrument though, including guitar.

Check out Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich, or even Terry Bozzio (his drumset is so huge that it allows him to tune his drums in chromatic and diatonic pitches so that he can actually make melodies).


Terry Bozzio's solos are crap, he just rolls around his toms for half an hour and then smashes the shit out of the one cymbal he actually uses.

I like drum solos when they're done properly and have rhythm. Funk stuff tends to have good drum solos.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
#18
im a drummer and my band lets me do a short drum solo while they change guitars etc.
its fair enough as they get a 16 bar guitar solo in each song so why cant i get a chance to shine.. lead guitarists are kinda selfish and always want the attention you have to admit..
#21
Quote by Aramis


now that is awesome. i was originally pertaining to drum solos by professional musicians on drums sets with 4623462342387 drums and cymbals they don't use/need.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
#22
extensive drum fills i can dig, but anything more is kind of annoying
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
#25
I find it very funny that the same people who can't stand drum solos for over 30 seconds will fellate shred artists.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
#34
as long as it keeps the listener entertained it can be good. just like a good movie.
#36
I enjoy a nice 30-second drum solo by someone like Keith Moon. However, I think "Moby Dick (Live)" by Led Zeppelin is entertain for about 5% of the composition, and the other 95% is boring....very boring.
#37
I love it when a song has this little rising action feel.

sorta like 2:53-3:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQw-RkfsZ_0

EDIT:
Quote by The Madcap
I enjoy a nice 30-second drum solo by someone like Keith Moon. However, I think "Moby Dick (Live)" by Led Zeppelin is entertain for about 5% of the composition, and the other 95% is boring....very boring.

Watching Keith Moon is like watching a young child running in circles. He's so hyper and at the same time manages to be entertaining
Last edited by hug a llama at May 21, 2008,
#38
Dennis Chambers drum solos make me hot

also drum fills are the best thing ever, i love Mitch Mitchell's fills like in littlewing
#39
i can understand not liking drum solos after a while u know 30 seconds tops but i like any kind of solo as long as its not over done. for your ppl who are saying that guitar solo's arent any good either... why???
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
#40
Quote by zedeathmetal
i can understand not liking drum solos after a while u know 30 seconds tops but i like any kind of solo as long as its not over done. for your ppl who are saying that guitar solo's arent any good either... why???

People have different likings in their music. Like I used to hate it when a song would stop for a few seconds and continue on later. I would always fast forward to the next song without knowing there was like 45 seconds left of the song.
Page 1 of 2