So I was just sitting in my living room with the door open to let in some fresh air. All my windows are open as well. I have my ME-50 at my feet, Blues Jr. on the floor next to me, and my guitar in my hands. I'm just jamming along to some blues and whatever, when all of a sudden, I hear a knock at my door, and there's this guy wearing a bright yellow shirt and black shorts with a white helmet- a bike cop. He tells me my stuff is too loud and I need to turn it down. Apparently he heard it all the way from the street. So I say okay, and go back to my guitar and turn it down, because I don't feel like getting in trouble with the law, and don't want to pay any of the fines. I was starting to get a headache anyway.

That's not the first time I've been told to turn down. I was at this party, and I was playing through a halfstack in this guy's garage, and the cops came and told us to turn that down, too.

If nobody was complaining, what's the big deal? It's not like anybody is sleeping, nobody's telling me to turn down but this cop. Aside from damage to my own ears, I can't really see much reason for him to tell me to turn down!

I know I was playing too loud, but isn't that my right, as long as it isn't bothering anybody??
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
That sucks dude. I've never got the cops called on me.

I live up in the boonies and play loud with no issues, cops have never been called.

Well once they have. Epic story.

My neighbor was being a dickhole and kept throwing fruit at our house but we never caught him doing it. Me and my dad grabbed our old 4 18'' 2000 watt subwoofers that we used for DJing dances, put them out in our driveway, pointed them at his house and blasted them at full volume at 50hertz until he called the cops... like 3 hours later. Ahhh revenge.

We claimed we were doing sound tests.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
As long a people arent phoning into the police cause your too loud I think you should be able to play guitar as loud as you want to.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I know it's great to play loud... But you really don't need it. I like it loud, but it doesn't need to be deafening.
yeah, people might not want 2 tell u in person, but will phone the cops instead
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
I remember the first time someone sigged me. IT felt great. I was like wow... people actually think i'm funny. See here on the real world it doesn't work like that.
A frogs' perspective on life: time's fun when you're having flies.
no such thing as too loud!
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Flying Couch
How loud were you?

My amp was at full on the master, and 3 with the other volume, and I had some light bluesy distortion, so it was pretty loud, I guess. Not deafening loud, I would say.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
So I was just sitting in my living room with the door open to let in some fresh air. All my windows are open as well. I have my ME-50 at my feet, Blues Jr. on the floor next to me, and my guitar in my hands. I'm just jamming along to some blues and whatever, when all of a sudden, I hear a knock at my door, and there's this guy wearing a bright yellow shirt and black shorts with a white helmet- a bike cop. He tells me my stuff is too loud and I need to turn it down. Apparently he heard it all the way from the street. So I say okay, and go back to my guitar and turn it down, because I don't feel like getting in trouble with the law, and don't want to pay any of the fines. I was starting to get a headache anyway.

That's not the first time I've been told to turn down. I was at this party, and I was playing through a halfstack in this guy's garage, and the cops came and told us to turn that down, too.

If nobody was complaining, what's the big deal? It's not like anybody is sleeping, nobody's telling me to turn down but this cop. Aside from damage to my own ears, I can't really see much reason for him to tell me to turn down!

I know I was playing too loud, but isn't that my right, as long as it isn't bothering anybody??

It's bothering at least one person: the cop. So well I guess by your own admission you should turn it down since it was bothering somebody.

Maybe you are playing too loud as well, considering you've been told to keep it down in the past.

Besides, from your vocabulary I'm guessing that you're 15 and as such don't have the right to do anything. So stop complaining and turn your guitar down. No one wants to hear you 'jam to blues licks' or whatever it is you do that pisses people off.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Last edited by darthteet at May 21, 2008,
Quote by itchy guitar
no such thing as too loud!
While I try to remain courteous, this is my philosophy when no one's around.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Not everyone who is bothered will tell you or report you, so stop being a prick going on about your rights or whatever and keep the volume at a reasonable volume.

exactly if someone douche is playing guitar really loudly and ****tily next door to me im not going to phone the cops or complain to them but im still going to be pissed of by it and annoyed
Same kind of thing happened to me. To explain this more, I live in a pretty conservative neighborhood. This neighborhood is a cul de sac. My next door neighbors are catholics, the daughter is a rap lover, and the son is pretty cool. On the other side is an old couple. Across from us is an asian family that's pretty stereotypical. Like, they've got a zen garden in their backyard. I have a combo amplifier (as you can see from my signature).

Anyway, a week ago, it got up to 90 degrees in my room. So, I opened my window. I tuned my guitar on clean, and improvised some licks on a few scales. Then, I switched on the distortion, turned on some backing tracks, and jammed. Not one minute into Run to the Hills, I got a knock on my door from Tualatin police.

The "nice" officer said he was getting noise complaints from this area. I told him I was playing my guitar with my window open. He asked why. I said, it was hot. So, he had to come to my room to check how loud I was. He got on his walkie talkie, and started asking me questions about the amplifier.

After about 10 minutes, he explained that if my amp was any louder, they could ticket me for disturbing the peace. They measure this with the DBl scale (Decibles/Blocks). Since my noise was down below the DBl level (which the maximum level is 1, I was at .89), the cop couldn't do anything. So, I was told to play on, and he went to talk to the other people while I continued to jam.

He did give me this flyer that I have yet to decipher what it all means.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by darthteet
It's bothering at least one person: the cop. So well I guess by your own admission you should turn it down since it was bothering somebody.

Maybe you are playing too loud as well, considering you've been told to keep it down in the past.

Besides, from your vocabulary I'm guessing that you're 15 and as such don't have the right to do anything. So stop complaining and turn your guitar down. No one wants to hear you 'jam to blues licks' or whatever it is you do that pisses people off.

Your post completes me.

EDIT: I've had a few neighbors complain to me, never a cop though...