Page 1 of 2
Once again, my guitarist friend and enabler asked me if I wanted to wander down to a new local instrument shop. And while he looked at Les Paul's, I wandered over to the bass section and asked to try a 4001 Rick ('72) in mapleglo, which the owner actually let me play to my surprise. Really nice bass, but thats not the story here since the over 2800 usd price tag is a bit too rich for my blood.

Then owner said, well let me have you try this out as well. He pulled a 1999 PRS Bass from the back of the shop and let me play it. And I felt a huge vortex of G.A.S. envelope me. The price was not cheap but considerably less than the Ric by over half.

I don't need this bass (since its a 4 string) but the price is very attractive. And it played like a dream and was sonically wonderful on two different amps. The neck was fast. It has a beautiful blue quilted maple top and had the PRS pre-amp, 5 position rotary and deep / clear tone controls.

But I need a dose of reality here, and if anyone was to say, its not worth the purchase or concerted pitching you will have to do with your better half to purchase said bass, I'd cure this bass related affliction quickly. But if its the deal of a lifetime, I need someone to confirm that as well.

And yes, this is the SAME guitarist I was with when I bought my EBMM FL Stingray. I really need to stop taking lunch with him...
Buy it, PRS instruments are sexy as hell.

Sorry for not helping .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Bear in mind that that PRS Basses are Custom Shop models, as they didn't make any basses back then as a standard run.

Also, as you said, it's a beauty, it plays well, and sound fantastic.

With that in mind, I'd say buy it. Definately. I do love PRS's.

And if it looks anything like this, I'll come over to the States and beat you up till you get it:

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by indie-bassist
Buy it, PRS instruments are sexy as hell.

Sorry for not helping .

+1 (as against the rules as that is)

Don't pass this one up, I wouldn't. Sometimes you just know when a bass is perfect for you, and it sounds like you're getting there. Therefore, buy it and post lots and lots of pics
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Now this depends on how good the bass really is.

If I recall, weren't you saving up for an urge a few months back? Is this bass better than that? By far? if it were me i'd considering putting the money into a new Urge fund.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster

If I recall, weren't you saving up for an urge a few months back? Is this bass better than that? By far? if it were me i'd considering putting the money into a new Urge fund.

Ignore him. He's not thinking straight. Buy it. It's the right thing to do.

Honestly Forcemaster, how could you be so inconsiderate????
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Ignore him. He's not thinking straight. Buy it. It's the right thing to do.

Honestly Forcemaster, how could you be so inconsiderate????

I'm sorry, I just blew a chunk of cash on my Geddy, i'm trying to salvage some vague illusion that i'm sometimes responsible.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster

The bass is very good and in excellent condition. The former owner bought it as investment instrument, not to play.

But I am glad you have given me moment to pause and rethink. If someone came to me and said, which would you play more, The Urge II or the PRS? The Urge II still would win the final vote. So it comes down to how long do I really want to wait for an Urge and how much regret would I have if I didn't bite on the PRS.

Thanks for the Shakabuku moment.
Quote by Forcemaster
I'm sorry, I just blew a chunk of cash on my Geddy, i'm trying to salvage some vague illusion that i'm sometimes responsible.

Why couldn't you have said something like "blew a wad"? Then I could have bolded it and made it big. And then everyone would have laughed! And I'd feel happy

Regardless...

hehehe
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

PRS makes basses?

Never heard of that before; it might be worth having just to say you have one. Knowing PRS, it's probably a very high-quality instrument. After checking out their website, I think I would probably like that bass too... I say play it a few more times and then decide if you're going to go for it or not.

But the bass sounds good to me...
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Tam, I'm sure this will count as cheating on Mr Hamm.

Good point, that would be quite sad

But I have also been dreaming about Mr. Claypool lately, but god knows a Carl Thompson is a far fetched reality in my universe.

Of course all of this could be an academic exercise when I go home, tell the other half what I am proposing to buy and he looks at me like I've lost my mind.
Quote by anarkee
The bass is very good and in excellent condition. The former owner bought it as investment instrument, not to play.

But I am glad you have given me moment to pause and rethink. If someone came to me and said, which would you play more, The Urge II or the PRS? The Urge II still would win the final vote. So it comes down to how long do I really want to wait for an Urge and how much regret would I have if I didn't bite on the PRS.

Thanks for the Shakabuku moment.

I think that if you're GASing for a bass, and then end up going with something else just beause it'll take longer to save up for, you'll probably get it eventually anyway, and just take a loss selling the PRS. I mean, is your husband gonna allow both in the house? I'm guessing not
I'd say go for the Urge II, it sounds like the bass you really want.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by IndianRockStar
I dunno. Haven't played either bass, but go with your gut.

I agree. Chances like this are very rare. I'd jump on this if I were you.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Tam, I thought I was gonna make you a Carl Thompson? Are you cheating on me as well!

You truley are a vixen of the nth degree
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Thread check. So far I have cheated on both Stuart Hamm and Chris and probably my better half in some extreme Catholic way for dreaming about Les Claypool and said Mr. Hamm.

This and I have lust in my heart for a PRS that I shouldn't have even been looking at during lunch.

God I am sooooo doomed.

puts head on desk and sighs
get it, play it for an hour, then send it to me.

I'm not joking.

Also, if you like darker men, Robbie Shakespeare enjoys his PRS bass, apparently.
Though he also likes them j-basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Great, now you are all encouraging my GAS AND suggesting bass players to lust over. Freaking great, lol.

And btw, the enabler just came by and said "Idiot, its a '89 not a '99 bass. Did you call your husband yet?"

Yes, its a 1989 PRS Bass 4 and looks alot like the one Chris posted.
actually, i have been very curious about the PRS basses. looks like i may have to go play one, now. i can't imagine Paul Reed putting his name on a second rate instrument. my curiousity has just increased 100%.
You don't need it.

Besides, you usually play a tight, recent instrument that's gloriously hot, no matter what you think when you're playing that PRS.

However, instrument addictions aren't the worst addictions to have. Sure, you're left broke, but at the same time, you can sell instruments for good money. You can't sell vomitted up alcohol, now can you?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A California dream

A bad poem by Anarkee

Standing on the edge. To the west the sea…
To the east, the desert
South to the Baja and north all is rain and darkness and hardship
And the devil came forth from the east; he bore an instrument of electric blue
He said-the trip to the south is easy and warm. His voice was immediate and urgent.
A touch on my shoulder and I spun to the North
St. Leslie of Claypool stood before an old Datsun
Head not the call. Come forth to the North
And gave me a plastic cup of elixir from the punchbowl
The journey began…
Through the Grapevine and over the midlands and through the valley
The trip was long, dark and hard but surprisingly beautiful
The music was wonderful and sweet
And five became one hundred and one then two hundred eighty
And the time and the miles flew. Up and over and over again
Until the bay appeared and the bridge and the City of Francisco
On the Embarcadero, St Stuart of Hamm
In his hands an instrument of beauty
The bass it sang the songs of the journey
The Urge was fulfilled and the dream complete.

Real story. While the spouse sympathized, it’s just not financially feasible. But, I have a potential paying gig this summer. And once a few bills are paid off, he’s made a promise of my fiver (Jazz V 24) coming to me for either Christmas or birthday present. And any gig money or other financial windfall will go the newly resurrected Urge II fund of which there is now 30 USD in, lol. So Forcemaster, I think I’ll be following your sage advice.

But if anyone wants to seriously look at buying the PRS, PM me and I can send you the shop’s contact info. They do ship in the US/ Canada and internationally I believe. I would love to see it go to a nice home in the bass forum if possible.
It looks nice, but as Fitzy as this sounds, PRS to me is the very essence of ignorant guitar players, and I'd never, ever own a bass of theirs. I just can't do it. Too many PRS-exclusive playing idiots I've dealt with. Like the guitar shop worker who made a comment on how big my standard sized bass tuning keys were.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
buy the urge II from sweetwater, they have a no payment/interest for 12 months thing going on right now
I totally sympathise with anarkee on this one, keep finding awesome basses, and have to stop, and go "No cris, you want that custom Sandberg" but it's hard...and Les Claypool and Stu Hamm, imagine the bass genius of their love child.....*Crazy far away look enters Cris's eye*

AHEM, yeah, saving for the Urge is probably the most sensible idea, and you seem to have been after one for ages, you know you'll feel Amazing when you finnally get it
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by anarkee
But if anyone wants to seriously look at buying the PRS, PM me and I can send you the shop’s contact info. They do ship in the US/ Canada and internationally I believe. I would love to see it go to a nice home in the bass forum if possible.

Which shop Tam? If I'm nearby I may persuade the parents to let me at it! Doubt the store owner would let me try it out tho

Then, I can make the rest of the UKers jealous!

On a note about not being allowed to try basses out - I get served alcohol more often than im allowed to play a £500+ bass.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Jon, I'll PM you the shop info later today--its not that far off Hwy 1.

And on the other topic--yes, I have seen shop owners do this to younger players. Which is why when I bring in my Fretless to the studio for classes, I tend to let other people (ie younger players) try it out. Everyone should get the chance to play a quality instrument and then GAS / save for one.
Thanks, and thats nice of you to let other people play your SR

I find that you can increase your chances of play top end basses when you're by yourself or with an adult. My problem arises because I like to go with my guitar playing friend so I can get some second opinions and I dont like going with my dad because he gets very bored if im just playing basses for an hour or more and contemplating spending his hard earned money.

I also hate playing bass infront of him! He's the only person I get stage fright in front of, he's not even a musician, knows nothing about music and cant tell the difference between a bridge and a nut.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I thinks, if you really like it you should get it. But it will hinder your progress for getting an Urge II however you should ask yourself what one do you want more and think of it that way. I have made the mistake of buying something on impulse and a month later not liking it.

And I go with the person above, shops tend to let you use the higher spec instruments when your on your own because I think they think if your with friends your likely to do some damage to it. Its a bit of a generalisation but I guess its because of previous experiences. However in my local shop I don't get moaned at anymore for just taking basses off the shelves and playing them as i've bought everything guitar related from there. And am friends with the owners son (might be the main reason). However when I go into larger chain shops that often stock more bass' than my local shop I am often told off for touching the basses which aggrevates me as I know that i will not break them. Its probably the whole fact many young crime is on the rise and many older people assume todays youth will just break whatever they touch. It annoys me when I ask to try out a Fender Standard P-bass (my current GAS bass) and I get told that it would be better if I played a random bass thats under £200, thats worse than my current bass this is what I dislike more than not being able to use the high-end basses when they reccomend a bass that you do not want and tell you that its better than the one you want, when its blatantly not. Well thats a little rant on my part which I expect does not make sense in many a parts.
Last edited by Rywad at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Jonnomainman
He's the only person I get stage fright in front of, he's not even a musician, knows nothing about music and cant tell the difference between a bridge and a nut.

Srsly?

They look pretty different to me.

Sorry I failed

Quote by Bumper

Quote by Deliriumbassist

If I ever see or hear anything relating to nuts, I will remove the speaker or shower's.

*considers lying in wait in basschat for Indie's nuts*

Not a man of the nuts I see.

*Is already waiting covertly in basschat for Ben, he just doesn't know that yet*
Quote by Bumper

GIVE ME THE WEBSITE.

*Ahem*

Can I pweasse have the contact details pwease?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

i would tell you that you shouldn't buy it, but I recently bought a rickenbacker 4003 for reduced price, so i really can't talk. If you love playing bass, why not go for it, I find that a good instrument can really inspire you (I've played my ric 2 hours every day since I got it and when I'm not playing it, i'm cleaning it).
Quote by Nutter_101
GIVE ME THE WEBSITE.

*Ahem*

Can I pweasse have the contact details pwease?

Sent to you via a PM.

And to the person who PMed me about the line

"And five became one hundred and one then two hundred eighty". Those are freeways coming up from Los Angeles to San Francisco, lol. Nothing cryptic at all...

And thanks for all the comments in the thread!
Everyone in this thread should come together to buy me this bass.

Look at it like this.

I'm 17. You all love me. You've all missed out on 17 of my birthdays. If 10 people put in $10 for each of my birthdays, you've bought me the bass!

. Okay, maybe not.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Everyone in this thread should come together to buy me this bass.

Look at it like this.

I'm 17. You all love me. You've all missed out on 17 of my birthdays. If 10 people put in $10 for each of my birthdays, you've bought me the bass!

. Okay, maybe not.

But Tam is 22 so we've missed 22 of her birthdays and we love her more, doesn't she deserve the bass more?

/suckup
Quote by Bumper

Page 1 of 2