Ive been looking around for a tube amp to replace my s***ty solid state, and after changin' my mind several times, i seem to like the peavey valveking 112

when i told my friend about this desicion, he warned me that the valveking tends to break down. does it really have said reliability issues?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I've never heard that. All I've heard is that's an awesome amp
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I heard that when they first came out which was quite awhile ago they had reliability issues, but i've had mine for just about two years now and i haven't had any problems with it.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
^he has a mesa triple rectifier

EDIT: anyway, thats good to hear, cause it seems like a really good amp for the price
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
mine blew up after two days, and the store I bought it from stopped stocking them because 3/4s of them ended up being returned because of the same problem, also they sound horrible, my SS practice amp has better tone, get a Blackheart or something.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^i would get a blackheart, but im not going from a 5w amp to another 5w amp...

but it seriously died on u? damn i hate mixed opinions, i dont know what to make of 'em....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^he has a mesa triple rectifier

EDIT: anyway, thats good to hear, cause it seems like a really good amp for the price

oh.. The Valveking really is a quality bit of kit for the price. You can get all sorts different tones from it, and does rock and metal very well. i really like mine, i highly recommend it.
a 5 watt class a tube amp is considerably louder and in this case will sound infinitely better than a 5w solid state amp. Tonally I much prefer to Roland Cube over the VK.

Last.fm
I've got a VK112, it's a really good amp for the price, don't think you can get something better.

I have kinda dislikes of my tone SOMETIMES, somedays I think is great, somedays i think it sucks, maybe it's just me, and I would need to get more to EQ'it right.

Really, it's great, maybe not for my stuff (metal), or maybe yes, I'm in kinda buying a pedal, or maybe are the pickups from my guitar, that I know they arent the best, nor the guitar, and they arent for metal like others.

Oh yes, I want the best quality, big problem of mine, so it's a good amp.

I have it now for like 3 months I think and it plays good.

The clean channel is really good, better than the lead i think. All things considered, I don't know that much, it's kinda too personal this. Hope it helps.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
right now, i just want to get the reliability issue out of the way, ill decide on tone when i actually try one out
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
a 5 watt class a tube amp is considerably louder and in this case will sound infinitely better than a 5w solid state amp. Tonally I much prefer to Roland Cube over the VK.

Did you crank the VK? because the tone really opens up as the volume increases. Last gig i did i was warming up with a mate of mine playing through a 15w cube and there was a massive tonal difference, the VK was considerabley better, and with an EQ in the effects loop the tone can be really come alive.
not to mention, pushing an amp to its limits is always fun
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by metalhead_365
Did you crank the VK? because the tone really opens up as the volume increases. Last gig i did i was warming up with a mate of mine playing through a 15w cube and there was a massive tonal difference, the VK was considerabley better, and with an EQ in the effects loop the tone can be really come alive.

Yep, I played it with the volume up, and it still sounded overly harsh and muddy, I used my rackmount 16 band EQ with it as well, and it still sounded pretty bad. I

Last.fm
well, even if the amps are exactly the same model, each is gonna sound a littlt differenrt, and once and a while, u get one that sound completely different
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
with standardized construction methods used on amps like that, they will pretty much all sound the same unless you modify them.

Amps aren't like guitars where variables like wood are always there to affect tone, in amps the components are all identical, unless you get into expensive boutique amps with hand wiring and hand made caps and things like that.

Last.fm
true, but there is always the possibility of a dud...u know when u have to return one marshall jvm only to have the next sound better, it was a dud...happened to a friend
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
yeah that's possible, but I've played several of these, the newer ones are a slight improvement, but still my advice is to look into something else, and maybe get a used amp.

Last.fm
maybe. gotta check a few out in GC. and bring my dad. having an electrical engineer in the family really helps when it comes to determining whats a dud and whats s***ty in the first place
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
maybe. gotta check a few out in GC. and bring my dad. having an electrical engineer in the family really helps when it comes to determining whats a dud and whats s***ty in the first place

I seriously doubt GC is going to let your dad take one apart and take a look inside. Only thing your dad will be able to see is plastic, wood, tubes ,transformer and reverrb tank. So unless he is psychic or has xray vision taking him is going to be pointless.

Heres the deal any amp has dud's even bogner puts out a bad egg once and a while. You have a 30 day warranty so if anything is going to happen it will happen with that time period 99% of the time. So your covered... Only amp i have ever looked and and said ohhh my god that is cheap is Bugera and once i saw the pictures of the internals it was confirmed. The VK is pretty solid, you shouldnt have an issue with realiabilty..
I'm one of those who hates the Valveking, it's a love-hate thing with it. Many hate it, many like it.... I find it having too little gain without much body, a thin and dull, dry sound, and too much treble and a flabby bass.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.