First off, I would like to know if anyone on here uses garageband to record guitar tracks?
- Out of the people who do, who listens to metal tunes? Like Death, Behemoth, and old Sepultura

Now my question is this:

Say I have my guitar going through my amp first and on the clean channel.
I have the amp going to the laptop, mac powerbook.
And I want to use the "guitar" sounds/effects that garageband has provided.
I can choose between stuff like
barroom lead
eighties pop
metal
seventies rhythm
etc...

I'll let you know that I have tweaked with this stuff for most of yesterday.
I have worked with the volume on my amp, on the laptop's recording mic, and gone through all the guitar sounds provided. And some of them actually sounded half decent.
But when it came to the metal effect, I was very disappointed It has a very loud high buzz and no balls to the gain at all.

Anyone know of a decent way to get a crunchy metal tone with just garageband?
Go to the info section on your clean guitar track, and check out the effects choices in the bottom half of the window. Choose 'distortion' or something like it, and then click the pencil next to the line. Then you can EQ the distortion to however you like it.

That should get you a bit closer. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
garageband is not made to add effects and stuff.. yea you can do it, but its not high quality sound like you can get with pedals or effects on amps... either use some pedals you have if you do have some, or try to get the sound straight from the amp. or get like a real high quality recording studio-type-thing
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
i've never used 'garageband'....or heard of it but i doubt the software tones will be any good at resembling a real amp tone.

I personally want to get protools or something similar to record properly and not just from my ****ty onboard soundcard. Currently i use the sound card and mic straight into the computer and mix it all on adobe audtion 2.0

have a listen to some stuff i've done on my profile. Keep in mind i'm still learning to mix and edit music so this isn't the limit of audition but best i can get with my current setup.

the 'song idea' mp3 is recorded on my mp3 player lol hence the terrible sound quality.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
^ I'm very surprised that you haven't head of Garageband. It's a mac program that comes with every mac. Some of the effects are actually really good, and I've used them from time to time, but you really have to spend time with them.

What I think the TS is doing, is playing into the built in computer mic, which goes right into the soundcard and into Garageband, just like you said.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
^ I'm very surprised that you haven't head of Garageband. It's a mac program that comes with every mac. Some of the effects are actually really good, and I've used them from time to time, but you really have to spend time with them.

What I think the TS is doing, is playing into the built in computer mic, which goes right into the soundcard and into Garageband, just like you said.

never used mac's. and hat comes out standard in some countries may not apply where i live
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Well every mac has garageband, that's just how Apple runs things. But yeah, recording with a mac is a totally different world, unless you're talking Protools, which is similar on mac and PC.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass