I want to start a band but there is a problem. I live in an extremely small town and there are no good musicians around. There is a kid down my road that can play bass but he has absolutely no sence of rhythm at all. I dont know what to do and Ive gotten extremely bored practicing by myself.
be your own band its what i do. theres no personality conflicts or anything and whatever your idea is for your song you can get it out exactly how you want it to. the only problem comes with performing live

if you insist on playing with a band your best bet is to frequent a music shop and talk to people there. unfortunately everyone plays guitar so bands are never in need really of a guitarist.
Quote by Shawnzy
I want to start a band but there is a problem. I live in an extremely small town and there are no good musicians around. There is a kid down my road that can play bass but he has absolutely no sence of rhythm at all. I dont know what to do and Ive gotten extremely bored practicing by myself.

If he has no rhythm then he isn't playing bass

How small is your town?
Quote by z4twenny
be your own band its what i do. theres no personality conflicts or anything and whatever your idea is for your song you can get it out exactly how you want it to. the only problem comes with performing live

if you insist on playing with a band your best bet is to frequent a music shop and talk to people there. unfortunately everyone plays guitar so bands are never in need really of a guitarist.

Do what Final Affliction does. Make Backing tracks in GuitarPro.
Quote by Shawnzy
My town has like 500 people in it.

If you want people to play with, you're either going to have to organize something with people from surrounding towns (this is done very often in rural areas) or encourage some friends to pick up instruments. I suggest trying a little of each, of course you have to bear with people that are just starting out, but that can be a good experience for you too.
Or you could always move to a bigger town.
Seriously, the only other way is to rely on others being prepaired to travel to practices or being prepaired to travel yourself. (it's probably safer to rely on yourself travelling rather than anyone else)
But before you do anything drastic, make sure there arn't any other musicians in your area that you could jam with. Have a massive advertising campaign, put up notices saying 'Musicians Wanted' all over the place, put adverts in the local press, that kinda thing, if you still don't get any joy, then look further afield.
hmm m8 i have the same prob with u expsept i do have a band.. but yeh the bassesd is ****..... erm...... wut bout skl....? or ne m8s u no or n family outside town....
GUITAR PRO 5

It's a great way to write songs, and practice. It's great if your fellow band mates are lazy or even if they don't exist.
Quote by Wastman666
hmm m8 i have the same prob with u expsept i do have a band.. but yeh the bassesd is ****..... erm...... wut bout skl....? or ne m8s u no or n family outside town....

WHAT IN THE **** IS THIS????

DUDE! Learn to type correctly! Jesus, you gave my eyes ****ing cancer just READING that!

On topic; you could always teach someone to play, if all else fails, just go outside of your town.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

DUDE! Learn to type correctly! Jesus, you gave my eyes ****ing cancer just READING that!

On topic; you could always teach someone to play, if all else fails, just go outside of your town.

+9999999

----------------------

I also live in a rural area, and it is extremely difficult to find other *cough* good *cough* musicians. I check online classifieds, or like someone else said, look in a local music shop for posters, or post your own.
X Sign Here
Post everywhere, streets, skool, library, music store, shopping center, internet ABYWHERE u can think of, maybe there more pple than u can think, or play with the bassist you know and see if he can get better
**** u its called txt typing welcome to the 21st centry dimwit.. it seems astho u people are the only guys hwo dont understand this **** yeh i can spell.... im in set 2 outa 5 at ma skl in english....
Quote by valennic

****in **** go die in a hole where nobody will find you.. there im typing correctly ****er
Last edited by Wastman666 at Jul 4, 2008,
Join a local youth club and start there. Ask around at school. if you get really stuck make the bassist have lessons!

alternatively you could invest in some home recording gear and make your own music by layering yourself playing different instruments. I often do that between band projects!

good luck (Y)
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy
Join a local youth club and start there. Ask around at school. if you get really stuck make the bassist have lessons!

alternatively you could invest in some home recording gear and make your own music by layering yourself playing different instruments. I often do that between band projects!

good luck (Y)

like previously put up fliers w/ your cell phone #. and also find a place where they teach music lessons & crash the place till you find a band
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
Quote by Wastman666
****in **** go die in a hole where nobody will find you.. there im typicng correctly ****er

Quote by Wastman666
****in **** go die in a hole where nobody will find you.. there im typicng correctly ****er

You got owned so hard that i think Uranus just exploded.
Try and get some advertisements up around music stores and just round the town in general, there is bound to be other musicians around.
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
Quote by ESte
You got owned so hard that i think Uranus just exploded.

dude lol i owned ma self

lol at least i can laugh at ma self....
Originally Posted by Wastman666
****in **** go die in a hole where nobody will find you. There, I'm typicng correctly ****er

Fixed again.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Last edited by alienboy18241 at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by Wastman666
dude lol i owned ma self

lol at least i can laugh at ma self....

Just type like you're not retarded please, you think its so mean that someone would ask you to make your talking UNDERSTANDABLE! thats like an American going to Germany and saying "YALL ARE GONNA HAVE TO LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!" (Though you guys already do that)
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

my first band consisted of me (guitar, piano) pretty good at the time, not great. a drummer who was not horrible but not good. a bassist that i was teaching him how to play smells like teen spirit and stuff. then another kid who said he played gutiar but couldnt. so i had him play like a d and g chord the whole time. then there was some random kid that hadnt hit puberty so we picked him up as the singer haha... biggest joke ever.
Quote by DanielQ
Another (more difficult) option would be to help people learn their parts and work up that way.

true teaching people their parts is not an impossible option if you can play every instrument in the band but don't have eight arms to play them with

I had a band and i wrote/taught everyone their part. however this is very energy consuming and requires insane patience. A major downside is you have a band of trained monkeys that can't really provide any useful contributions when trying to write songs because they only know what you're giving them and not any real idea how or why it works.

regardless that does hold you over if you live in a small town.
I've been a victim of the small town musician hunt myself.
If you live in a small town, try some acoustic bar gigs by yourself. You'll draw some attention to yourself, some other people might be in the same situation as you.
Quote by UltimateDud
If you live in a small town, try some acoustic bar gigs by yourself. You'll draw some attention to yourself, some other people might be in the same situation as you.

He's rght. It was a major issue thinking "what I could do if only I had say a rhythm guitarist," But finding that was never eay. So a better approach might be "what can I do with what I have right now?"

Make do with what you have even if it is an acoustic guitar and your voice
I was in the same boat as you all last year, but I'm in a band now. haha.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
My first band consisted of one guy who played guitar, and the other 3 of us who didn't play anything. He taught us basic guitar and drum skills, and then some of us started learning on our own.

AFAIK I'm the only one who still plays, but it was fun times, even if we did suck (and so did our gear -- our first vocal mic was a set of $10 walkman headphones strapped onto the singer's head [while he played lead] sideways [so the earpiece was on his nose] and plugged into the 1/4" jack [via adapter] on a 4 track player -- sounded like crap, but I still have that tape somewhere....)

Oh, my point is that even if people suck, it can be good times. Everyone sucks at one point, anyway, and could be fun to do in the meanwhile.
Go over to the bass player kid and ask him if you want to start a band. Who cares if he can't play. With the band being his highest commitment, he'll improve quicker.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.