I searched around but couldn't find much info on what would be a better choice.

I want something just to do some recording on my own. The Mbox2 Mini costs more and seems to have less fancy features and less ports. The Fast Track Pro costs less and has more crap on it. So is there a reason for this that I'm not seeing?

So basically what I'm asking is, which one is better?
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
The mbox comes with Protools, and the fast track comes with ableton lite. There is a HUGE difference. Protools is the industry standard recording interface, and ableton lite is decent after you watch all of the tutorials.

Get the mbox, trust me. Protools is WAY worth it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Other than the programs that come with it. Is there a difference in the devices themselves?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Yeah, the preamps are better and quality is better overall in the mbox. I'm sure the input options are different, but I don't know the control layout offhand.

It's worth the extra hundred bucks overall. I'm sure everybody will agree.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I don't agree. At all.

First of all, you're only getting Pro Tools LE. I don't think Pro Tools is worth it unless you are working with a high end set up. Secondly, you're paying £195, but getting one XLR input and only a USB 1.1 connection ?! In my opinion, poor.

For less money, you could get the Mackie Onyx Satellite, with a Firewire connection, two XLR inputs, and decent preamps. It also ships with Tracktion, which is decent software.

If you don't want Firewire, you could get the EMU 0404 USB, which is USB 2.0, has two XLR inputs, ships with a load of software, and is also a good amount cheaper.

In my opinion, both better. Pro Tools is hard to work with for a beginner, and isn't great for MIDI (I know he didn't say he wanted to use MIDI, but...)
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I don't agree. At all.

First of all, you're only getting Pro Tools LE. I don't think Pro Tools is worth it unless you are working with a high end set up. Secondly, you're paying £195, but getting one XLR input and only a USB 1.1 connection ?! In my opinion, poor.

For less money, you could get the Mackie Onyx Satellite, with a Firewire connection, two XLR inputs, and decent preamps. It also ships with Tracktion, which is decent software.

If you don't want Firewire, you could get the EMU 0404 USB, which is USB 2.0, has two XLR inputs, ships with a load of software, and is also a good amount cheaper.

In my opinion, both better. Pro Tools is hard to work with for a beginner, and isn't great for MIDI (I know he didn't say he wanted to use MIDI, but...)

Is there no 1/4" input for the guitar on the EMU? Will you be able to use this with pro tools? The Mackie Onyx looks pretty crazy, will that work with Pro tools as well? Or is Pro tools only compatible with M-Audio and DigiDesign?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
Or is Pro tools only compatible with M-Audio and DigiDesign?

Yes. M Audio has the M powered, Digidesign has LE. There's almost no difference between the two.

I'd go for a Fast Track...just the basic one, unless you need the extra inputs.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Now I'm pretty interested in the Mackie Onyx, are the programs for that pretty good?

I've used Pro Tools and it's not too tricky. I like how it's got tons and tons of plugins though.

Also, how does Firewire410 compare to these? I've had experience with this and it's not too bad.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Last edited by Phry at May 21, 2008,