hey everyone. i currently have a fender hot rod deluxe. i really like the amp, well the clean channel anyway. the 40 watts is just too much most of the time, especially when im just in my room practicing. i gig nearly every weekend, and i would use my current amp for outside gigs.
im looking for something thats about 15-20 watts. american voiced. i play alot of blues, jazz, old soul and RnB, some country and southern/classic rock.
im hoping for an amp with 6L6 or 6V6 power amp tubes,(i prefer the sounds of these to the EL84s and EL34s) so that rules out the Blues Junior, im not a big fan of those.

ive tried a deluxe reverb reissue, (i think 22 watts.) it was ok, but not all that great. does anyone have a suggestion for an amp for me? i simply cant think of any other amps that fit this criteria. thanks for the help.

edit. im the the US, my budget is $1000
Last edited by chea_man at May 21, 2008,
If you're cheap, go with a Traynor Guitar Mate. I think they come in 5, 10, 15, 20, 25watts.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
haha, im not cheap.

i guess i chould add im in america, and my budget is about up to 1000 dollars american.
Fender will be releasing a (15W) Princeton Reverb reissue sometime in June. It'll be a little cheaper than the Deluxe Reverb RI. It's probably my favourite <40 Fender: gorgeous cleans and terrific overdrive. But, I don't know if it would have enough headroom for you.
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 21, 2008,
thats really cool, mr hanky. thanks, i cant wait to try that out.
i dont need a whole lot of clean headroom, this amp will be mostly for recording, practice, and live gigs where i need to keep stage volume down. im almost always mic'ed up.
Sounds like the Princeton would be perfect for you, then!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i agree. are there any other suggestions, i would like to try out as many as i can.
Quote by chea_man
thats really cool, mr hanky. thanks, i cant wait to try that out.
i dont need a whole lot of clean headroom, this amp will be mostly for recording, practice, and live gigs where i need to keep stage volume down. im almost always mic'ed up.

I can't wait to try it either. The other Fender reissues are all good, and very similar to the originals, so I think this one will follow the trend. But I can't be sure until I've tried it.

Quote by chea_man
i agree. are there any other suggestions, i would like to try out as many as i can.

I also really like the tweed Deluxe. You might be able to find one used within your budget. It's more or less the same wattage as the Princeton, but it sounds much darker, creamier and more dynamic. The cleans aren't as great, but the overdrive more than makes up for that.

You're probably looking for some non-Fender suggestions as well. I'm the wrong guy for that.
Last edited by mr_hankey at May 21, 2008,
im not a huge fan of some tweeds that ive played, i love the cleans of a blackface type amp. but i will def. look onto them.

to ibanezPsycho, i have never had the privlege of playing a mesa, as there are zero dealers around me, but i will look into them. thank you.
The Mesa Express 5:50 would be your best option, because it's 6L6. I believe the 5:25 still uses some kind of EL tubes. But yeah, in that case, you'd have the flexibility of switching from 5 watts to 50 watts, and it should do the tones you want. Finally, it's in your price range if you go used - check the 'Bay and Craigslist.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
awesome, thank you. however, going to 5 watts will be too small for my shows, and 50 watts is even more than my amp now.
woah now i know what the numbers mean haha.
but doesnt that version have EL something or others in it?
i will give it a try if i can find one though. thanks for the suggestion
Quote by chea_man
woah now i know what the numbers mean haha.
but doesnt that version have EL something or others in it?
i will give it a try if i can find one though. thanks for the suggestion

Havent researched them, just played one at a gc once and really liked it... If it does have el's usually you can change them out.. Just hit up goggle and see what needs to be done...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 21, 2008,
Quote by DrNick
The Mesa Express 5:50 would be your best option, because it's 6L6. I believe the 5:25 still uses some kind of EL tubes. But yeah, in that case, you'd have the flexibility of switching from 5 watts to 50 watts, and it should do the tones you want. Finally, it's in your price range if you go used - check the 'Bay and Craigslist.

Although...the Mesa Express is loud as balls!

You might want to consider a Fender Twin Reverb. The 100watt rating might fool you, they're probably the quietest wattage/volume amp I've ever played. Much less sensitive than the Hot Rod Deluxes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

You might want to consider a Fender Twin Reverb. The 100watt rating might fool you, they're probably the quietest wattage/volume amp I've ever played. Much less sensitive than the Hot Rod Deluxes.

ill look into it again, but it was pretty loud the last time i played it.
For an American Vocied with 6L6 tubes, The Mesa Express 5:25 or 5:50(If you need more power) would be a great choice.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
i thought the 5:25 had el84 oe 34s in them. do they not?
50 is too many watts

just checked it, they do have el's in them
Quote by MESAexplorer

Been fooled by the volume knob, have you? The Hot Rods have linear volume pots, which make them loud as hell right at the bottom of the knob. The Twin Reverb have normal logarithmic pots, so the volume increase is more gradual. Putting both amps at two, the Hod Rod will be much louder. Fender did it that way to trick people into thinking that they are insanely loud, when they in fact are almost at max volume by then. The Twin will reach its maximum volume by about seven or eight.
If you are looking for blackface style scooped mids and chime then the princeton reverb should do the trick. If you are wanting tweed style midrange and grit then you should go with a tweed deluxe.
Not taking any online orders.
thanks alot coruroyEW. i probably wont be able to get a vintage one, but as soon as the reissues come out i will be trying them out.
If you really like your amp now I'm gonna suggest a ted weber attenuator, a 50 watt works brilliantly. I used one with my HRD that I had to great effect.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i never understood the linear and logarithmic pots... shouldn't it be the other way around?

like wouldn't this would be a twin reverb volume related to it's volume knob...

and this be the hrd?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ Leave it to the guy from Jersey to argue. Just kidding unsigned, second city here.
TS - Try the Princeton reissue when it comes out, I know I will.
Quote by gregs1020
^ Leave it to the guy from Jersey to argue. Just kidding unsigned, second city here.
TS - Try the Princeton reissue when it comes out, I know I will.

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mr_hankey
Been fooled by the volume knob, have you? The Hot Rods have linear volume pots, which make them loud as hell right at the bottom of the knob. The Twin Reverb have normal logarithmic pots, so the volume increase is more gradual. Putting both amps at two, the Hod Rod will be much louder. Fender did it that way to trick people into thinking that they are insanely loud, when they in fact are almost at max volume by then. The Twin will reach its maximum volume by about seven or eight.

I wasn't fooled. I know how it is, but overall the Fender twin reverb isn't a loud tube amp for 100watts. Not to mention it's easy to adjust for practicing around the house or apartment.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio