Recently, I have been looking to buy some new pickups for my PRS SE Custom. I have talked to many people about what kind of pickups I should get, and the brand most recommended to me is EMG. I have been looking around on the web and it seems that the EMG 81/85 set is the one to get. However, because the pickups are active, this means that they may have to cut out part of the body of the guitar to fit the battery in. This made me feel extremely uneasy.
So, I looked around at some of EMG's passive pickups, but there are no audio samples and the reviews seem very sketchy and vague. So I feel uneasy about getting those too.
So far I have not looked at other brands, seeing as I know very little about pickups, and it would be very helpful if someone knew any other pickups to recommend to me, or if someone could give me a better breakdown of the EMG passives.

P.S. Sorry that I failed to mention this before, but I mostly play a mix of blues and metal, and some jazz on the side (So in other words, I would like some pretty good metal tones, but I don't plan to sacrifice the cleans for it). I plan to play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and using a Metal Muff for distortion.

Thanks a lot.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Not like the guys are going to screw up your guitar or anything when you get the EMGs installed...and 81/85 are awesome
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
Not like the guys are going to screw up your guitar or anything when you get the EMGs installed...and 81/85 are awesome
Do you know how much they distort the cleans? I know I can never get a great clean sound out of metal pickups but I don't want to spend money on a Fender Hot Rod for better cleans to only have it all be in vain.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
Do you know how much they distort the cleans? I know I can never get a great clean sound out of metal pickups but I don't want to spend money on a Fender Hot Rod for better cleans to only have it all be in vain.

run the emg's in 18v will solve the problem with the cleans, apparently

check out seymour duncan jb, and 59? one for bridge and one for neck
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
run the emg's in 18v will solve the problem with the cleans, apparently

check out seymour duncan jb, and 59? one for bridge and one for neck
Could you explain how you do that/how that works because again I don't know much about pickups.
-Bugera 333XL 212
it won't distort the cleans at all. I use the 81/85 combo and it is great clean and distorted
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus