suggest me some to try out?

i've got **** for music stores around here, all pretty far apart, so i'd like to sort of know what to look for.
i play stuff along the lines of giant, isis, cult of luna, russian cirlces >> explosions in the sky, mogwai, mono, god is an astronaut etc....
i play an SG and a Tele (with SD hotrails)

i was interested in a Carvin V3, but can't find any in my city. I'm looking for a tube combo preferably under/around $1000 and between 30 watts and 50.

thaaaaaaaaaaanks.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
First off, props on the good music tastes. (I'm currently wearing an Explosions shirt and listening to God is an Astronaut)

As fas as the amp goes, a V3 would probably suit you pretty well. The crunch channel is kind of classic rock voiced though. I do believe that most of those bands (not RC) use fender hot rod devilles and stuff. I'd suggest looking at the amp that I just ordered, a Crate V33 head. The clean channel sounds remarkably like a Vox AC30 which would do quite nicely for the cleans in post-rock. The lead channel is kind of like a warmer, darker JCM 800 with more gain available on tap. It'll definitely do Russian Circles and stuff like the rhythm guitar tone on "Greet Death" by Explosions. Some people have said that they can't get the lead channel to sound bright but I personally didn't have that problem when I demoed it. Best part is that it's waaay cheaper than the V3. I got mine for 300 shipped. I have no idea why they're so ridiculously cheap...
Gear
Fender Standard Tele
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ emg 81 (18v)
Line 6 Vetta
FBV Longboard
Quote by Indie>Popular
First off, props on the good music tastes. (I'm currently wearing an Explosions shirt and listening to God is an Astronaut)

As fas as the amp goes, a V3 would probably suit you pretty well. The crunch channel is kind of classic rock voiced though. I do believe that most of those bands (not RC) use fender hot rod devilles and stuff. I'd suggest looking at the amp that I just ordered, a Crate V33 head. The clean channel sounds remarkably like a Vox AC30 which would do quite nicely for the cleans in post-rock. The lead channel is kind of like a warmer, darker JCM 800 with more gain available on tap. It'll definitely do Russian Circles and stuff like the rhythm guitar tone on "Greet Death" by Explosions. Some people have said that they can't get the lead channel to sound bright but I personally didn't have that problem when I demoed it. Best part is that it's waaay cheaper than the V3. I got mine for 300 shipped. I have no idea why they're so ridiculously cheap...

thanks for the suggestion, i never really thought about trying out a crate V series. i know someone who has one, ill definately try his out.

P.S. im also wearing my EITS shirt right now

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Nice. You should definitely check out the amp. Just make sure to get it really opened up. Also keep in mind that you'll need a good reverb pedal if you don't already have one since the amp doesn't have any...

The speakers in the combos aren't so hot (unless it's one of the older ones with the Tone Tubby) so try it with an ext cab if possible.

And you should check out The Mercury Program if you don't already listen to them.
Gear
Fender Standard Tele
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ emg 81 (18v)
Line 6 Vetta
FBV Longboard
One option is to get a Fender tube amp and use various pedals for gain (the Explosions in the Sky way). Another would be to go for a Sunn amp (preferably a Model T). the first would be better for post rock and the second for doom.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
to indie>popular: i do listen to the mercury program, and yeah im in the process of setting up a pedalboard, so the effects will definately be taken care of. thanks for the advice =].

to isthereloveinsp: i'd prefer not to use pedals for distortion, as my pedalboard looks like its gonna be pretty big without a couple distortion pedals. i've been desperately trying to find a used sunn amp, found one, but was sold before i could get the cash. i've had no luck since, but i'll definately keep looking.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Anyway.

There's a LOT of amps that would work for that kind of music in that price ranger. I almost don't want to reccomend anything, because you'll just get a list of $1000 amps I like.
Sunn Beta Lead or Model T. Isis used to use the Mesa V-Twin preamp/pedal into a mackie power amp i believe, but now use VHT Pittbulls. But the VHT is waay out of budget.

I listen to Isis and occasionally Russian Circles, and I would imagine it would be pretty easy to get either of their tones out of a Mesa DC-5 head/combo. Of course, I haven't gone down to Drop B yet with my Mesa, so I'm not sure how it would handle it, but hell, Mesas are known to have pretty good low end, considering the DC is a fusion of a Recto and a Mark series amp, I'd imagine it would ware really well.

Also, how important are cleans? If they're not a biggie, a Peavey 5150 would do pretty well.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Anyway.

There's a LOT of amps that would work for that kind of music in that price ranger. I almost don't want to reccomend anything, because you'll just get a list of $1000 amps I like.

i'd definately want to hear some suggestions, i don't mind spending more if it means getting an amazing tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣