Page 1 of 3
My grand-father is buying me any guitar of my choice under 5 grand.

Here's the scoop
I mainly play
Killswitch Engage
Atreyu
Parkway Drive
Bullet For My Valentine
All that remains
Lamb of god

Anything heavy

I need something that I can shred on but also deals with High gain riffage

I was looking as the Caparison Dillinger(sp?) or the Mark Morton sig. But I'm still open or suggestions.

Any opinions?
Quote by watchingmefall
This isn't happening, this isn't happening. (curls up in a ball and mutters something undecypherable)

Quote by Mike!
I just smoked a massive searchblunt yesterday...
Get a custom shop gibson les paul. Your a lucky bastard by the way.
get 6 ibanez RGs. totally kidding.

If i were you, i would get something that can do absolutely any style of music, for that price. Or a couple guitars haha. No guitar is worth 5 grand i don't think. Then again, I'm more of a $600 guitar guy.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Get a Les Paul of your choice and throw EMG's into it. Play like 30 of them in local stores, pick the one with the fastest neck, and put Zakk Wylde EMG's into it. Ull be set for life.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Custom shop les paul all efin day...Throw some hot pick ups in it and you're set. Maybe a JB in the bridhe and jazz in the neck. They aren't EMGs but they will be versatile so you can play other stuff and still sound brutal if your amp is up for it. O yea and get it with a 60s profile neck.
You are a lucky bastard. Anyways, Zakk Wylde Gibson Les Paul? Or just get five guitars of different types.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by SideshowRaven24
get 6 ibanez RGs. totally kidding.

If i were you, i would get something that can do absolutely any style of music, for that price. Or a couple guitars haha. No guitar is worth 5 grand i don't think. Then again, I'm more of a $600 guitar guy.

There is a martin acoustic that goes for like 30 grand id save up for it but...
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
prestige ibanze series

RG 2550.

im thinking of gettin one in the future

also PRS guitars are great (or so ive heard, never tried one)

you lucky lucky little bastard i hate you and your granddad's warm generous heart.

j/k plz get something kickass tho and make sure to thank him by playing him a nice tune on it, heavy but tasteful.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Caparisons are great, I'd go with a Custom ESP though..
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
buy a PRS... then slap some EMGs in there...

look it up on youtube... theres a dude that has like 3 and sounds AMAZING
Quote by WillaimC
My grand-father is buying me any guitar of my choice under 5 grand.

GO TO HELL!!!
I'm Tyler

Its the best you can get

But seriously, go for this:

Last edited by psychedelic14 at May 21, 2008,
Get a good amp, then think about your guitar. As far as guitars, you should consider a les paul or an RG. Be sure to buy some extra pickups as well. You lucky bastard.
Quote by The_lizard_king
There is a martin acoustic that goes for like 30 grand id save up for it but...

not even worth it. never. i don't care if you're the touring prince of turkmenistan. no guitar should really never go over 10, ever.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Me and my dad are halving in a Line 6 TUBE half stack.

Thanks alot or the opinions, KEEP THEM COMING.
Quote by watchingmefall
This isn't happening, this isn't happening. (curls up in a ball and mutters something undecypherable)

Quote by Mike!
Quote by WillaimC

Noooooooo. Its not to late to get a better amp.
Quote by nyandres

I've got experience with this head and I know for a fact I can get the sound I want out of it. I've also got experience with other hi gain tube heads(5150, 6505+, JSX, XXX, Triple Rec, JCM2000)

The tube line 6 is not like any other line 6 amp...
Quote by watchingmefall

Quote by Mike!
Quote by nyandres

what? line 6 TUBE amps are amazing... its like a bogner (a little cheaped out) with the POD effects...

dont jump on the LINE6 bandwagon... research a little
Quote by just17n8
what? line 6 TUBE amps are amazing... its like a bogner (a little cheaped out) with the PO effects...

dont jump on the LINE6 bandwagon... research a little

I know they are good. The only crap thing they make is the spider amps which are not too bad. Love the pods too. I am not jumping on the line 6 bandwagon. I just think with that kind of money, and for metal it is not the best amp. Id rather get an engl, or my all time favorite amp, the JCM 800.
Quote by nyandres
I know they are good. The only crap thing they make is the spider amps which are not too bad. Love the pods too. I am not jumping on the line 6 bandwagon. I just think with that kind of money, and for metal it is not the best amp. Id rather get an engl, or my all time favorite amp, the JCM 800.

We're only paying 685 for it. and the cab is going to be like...350?
Quote by watchingmefall

Quote by Mike!
Quote by WillaimC

Seriously? Line 6? The tube stack is nice and all, but with the kind of guitar you'll be getting you could do so much better. But if you like them, go for it.
Ernie Ball Music Man guitars haven't been mentioned yet for some strange reason. Get a BFR Petrucci Signature. They make 6 and 7 string versions, and a baritone.
6-string
7-string
Baritone
Don't knock it just because it's not a double-locking trem; those locking tuners will hold it through plenty of divebombing. I know, I managed to get about an hour's worth of quality time with one of those beauties (the 7, actually) last week. I'm not one to divebomb, I prefer subtle trem work, but I did it a few times near the end for kicks and it held pitch very well. Unbelievably sweet guitars. The older model isn't half bad either.
Failing one of those, I'd go PRS custom shop. Don't know much about Caparison.
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 21, 2008,
Whatever you get, be sure it will remind you of your grandfather. I mean, I don't know the situation at all, but make sure it isn't just a run of the mill guitar, it's got to be something special. For instance, if it were me, I would get a Grestch White Falcon. Beautiful guitar.

Since you probably wouldn't be suited for that, Mustaine's new Angel of Deth VMNT is pretty kick ass.

Or you could get a white EDS-1275.

Or maybe get a custom guitar made for you?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by nyandres

alright then ... I get frustated with people not knowing what they're talking about... you're not the case, i see...
Quote by Chris_Parker
Whatever you get, be sure it will remind you of your grandfather. I mean, I don't know the situation at all, but make sure it isn't just a run of the mill guitar, it's got to be something special. For instance, if it were me, I would get a Grestch White Falcon. Beautiful guitar.

Since you probably wouldn't be suited for that, Mustaine's new Angel of Deth VMNT is pretty kick ass.

Or you could get a white EDS-1275.

Or maybe get a custom guitar made for you?

I'm seriously considering a custom axe.
Quote by watchingmefall

Quote by Mike!
Bogner Uberschall: $2600
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 412: $900
ESP Eclipse 2: $1500

$5000 of pure metal.
For that kinda of money, contact the custom shop of any of the big brands and have them build a guitar for you.

I'd give Jackson a call and have them design my Ultimate rendition of a Kelly.

And if there'd be any money left after that thingy I'd put the rest into recording gear....

But hey, that's me.

You could also get a nice PRS, like the Santana signature or a custom shop.
AND PLEASE DON'T put EMGs in those guitars like someone sugested, it's like complementing your caviar with a side dish of roadkill.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
Quote by ZC3rr0r
For that kinda of money, contact the custom shop of any of the big brands and have them build a guitar for you.

I'd give Jackson a call and have them design my Ultimate rendition of a Kelly.

And if there'd be any money left after that thingy I'd put the rest into recording gear....

But hey, that's me.

You could also get a nice PRS, like the Santana signature or a custom shop.
AND PLEASE DON'T put EMGs in those guitars like someone sugested, it's like complementing your caviar with a side dish of roadkill.

+1 to skipping the EMGs. You're much better off with good passive pickups that can do high-gain AND cleans. EMGs have iffy cleans, and even the heaviest metallers play clean at some point... who knows, maybe you'll start playing jazz down the road. Good luck playing jazz with EMGs. It really doesn't work that well IMO.
I don't care much for Dean guitars, and I'm not much of a Megadeth fan, but that VMNT Angel of Deth... that graphic is amazing and the specs look really good too. Once I have a good all-around electric that might be my next axe, just for all-out metal...
Quote by Nightfyre
+1 to skipping the EMGs. You're much better off with good passive pickups that can do high-gain AND cleans. EMGs have iffy cleans, and even the heaviest metallers play clean at some point... who knows, maybe you'll start playing jazz down the road. Good luck playing jazz with EMGs. It really doesn't work that well IMO.
I don't care much for Dean guitars, and I'm not much of a Megadeth fan, but that VMNT Angel of Deth... that graphic is amazing and the specs look really good too. Once I have a good all-around electric that might be my next axe, just for all-out metal...

It's not that I hate EMGs or anything, it's just that I personally feel that putting EMGs in a PRS is a shame.

PRS makes great pickups, so installing EMGs would be a waste of money and of the unique tone of your guitar.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
Definitely get a custom guitar. You'll be glad you did. Get whatever you want put into it, thus saving you the future hassle if the stock model you got "isn't living up to expectations" or "isn't what you wanted". Do it.

Also, do a little something that would warrant a "nice touch" from someone as you're explaining how you got the guitar, like giving a nod to your grandfather and haiving his name or initials engraved somewhere on it. Kind of sappy, but I'd say worth it.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by ZC3rr0r
It's not that I hate EMGs or anything, it's just that I personally feel that putting EMGs in a PRS is a shame.

PRS makes great pickups, so installing EMGs would be a waste of money and of the unique tone of your guitar.

And I agree with that statement completely. What I wanted to convey was that EMGs, while great for rock and metal, are otherwise lacking IMO. I know that's exactly what the TS plays, but music tastes grow and expand constantly. At that price he should be playing on something that can do most everything and do it very well, and EMGs would only limit him in that respect. Besides, there are so many passive p/ups that do metal just as well as EMGs. I also agree on your opinion of PRS p/ups. Very nice... now if only I had the money to get a custom PRS...
Oh yeah....

In all seriousness though get a custom shop from a brand you like.

Gibson
Fender
Jackson
B.C. Rich
ESP
Ibanez doesn't have a public custom shop, only for endorsees.

^ Those are the links to the custom shops of the "major" brands that I can think of. Also call them instead of buying one already made (not that you can't though...)
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Page 1 of 3