I'm tired of all this slow stuff, I think I'm just going to jump right into Raining Blood by Slayer.

Even though I've been playing for only a few months, I've got the intro about down and I will continue to work on this awesome song all summer! I figure that if I finally get this song down (maybe not the speed ), I can learn any song.

What do you think about this approach?
1. Raining blood is only hard in guitar hero, not real life.

2. You don't have the speed or finger strength, no matter how long you work on it this summer.

3. Guitar is not something to rush.
the first song i tried to play was black dog by zeppelin and i practiced it like everyday and couldnt get the speed til bout a month ago lol. Start of raining blood is real easy but the rest i havnt even looked at.

personally i think you should really keep to your skill level and learn songs that are just out of your reach so u can see your progress...
I think its a generally decent approach to learning, but I think its also a crappy motive as far as "if i can do this i can do anything". It takes hours of practice to get that muscle memory down, but then again that is just for that rhythm and soloing. I would suggest you learn some backing theory if you don't know it already, what scales you use and why it sounds good (if you consider that song good) but it wont just unlock the entire awesomeness that is the guitar and any song available for playing. It will give you the ability to play that song.
*sighs* Well, I need a good tough song that will impress my parents so I can get a new guitar. (This one is crap.)

I mean why would someone who can't play need a new guitar?

Suggestions...?
You just said you've only been playing a few months though, yes?

I played on crap gear for a year. Trust me, the worst junk I've ever seen. I don't think it could have gotten much worse.
That's besides the point. I just need a song that will show people that I'm serious about guitar. I guess my dad just believes that it's a phase, but I want to show him that I really love guitar.
Do you have a deadline? i know wat u mean, i have the same thing, my parents said they would think about a guitar for christmas, so instead one difficult song, im going to try to learn a lot of different songs, that would seem more serious to me.
New guitars are great, but good ability is better. If you really want to impress on your folks you're serious, don't try and do it with a song. Practice everyday, download and print out study material and devote yourself to learning the guitar. That will mean a lot more to them than a single flashy song.
Quote by DwLee
I'm tired of all this slow stuff, I think I'm just going to jump right into Raining Blood by Slayer.

Even though I've been playing for only a few months, I've got the intro about down and I will continue to work on this awesome song all summer! I figure that if I finally get this song down (maybe not the speed ), I can learn any song.

What do you think about this approach?

Destined to fail.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want to impress your parents play Stairway to Heaven.

People who don't play instruments don't know the difference between hard songs and easy songs, they do know what sounds good though.
hey guy,
like you, I've only been playing for a couple (I think 4 now) months, but I'm playing constantly, and I've picked up a few easy songs that are sure to impress.

1. Sweet Child O' Mine

If you don't already know it, you should learn it anyway, cause its great for a warmup, and it is VERY impressive to people, probably even more so if your parents grew up to GnR. The intro alone should be enough to impress, so don't worry about the rest of the complicated stuff.

2. Mary Had a Little Lamb

No, not that Mary had a little lamb, the one by Buddy Guy and later, Stevie Ray Vaughan! The intro to this song is full of very impressive little licks with chords in between that give it some structure. If you're not big on blues, this may be a little more difficult because you won't be familiar with the bends and other techniques that blues guys use a lot, but its worth a shot.

3. Enter Sandman - Metallica

I think this was the first real riff I learned, and its a cool one. If you're not up to the string skipping on Sweet Child O' Mine yet, this might help, its got a little bit of stirng skipping, but overall it just sounds cool.

4. And Justice For All - Metallica

The intro to this one sounds cool, and while its apparently played with two guitars, you should be able to figure out how to blend the two and make it sound cool. Don't worry about the parts after the heavy distortion, those won't sound good on their own.

5. Purple Haze - Hendrix

The intro to this one is straight up minor pentatonic scale which you should be well versed in by now. Its not impressive because of the way it sounds alone, but playing some Hendrix should wow some people.

6. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Everyone knows this song and playing songs people know is the absolute best way to get them to enjoy and support your guitar playing, the chorus is enough, but if you wanna go ahead and learn the solo, thats easy too.

7. Stupid Sing-A-Long Songs

Everyone loves the guy who can pull out an acoustic and entertain people at parties with his strummy, chordy, sing-a-long songs. Honestly, its well worth learning a few of your relatives and friends favorite sappy songs and just getting the basic chord progression, people are always quick to refer to you as a "guitar player" rather than "some guy who fiddles with a guitar" once you know some of these songs.

8. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream

Everyone knows this song, so should you.

9. The Godfather Theme - Slash/GnR

This one could go both ways, it may piss people off because of its slow pace and the fact that theres not really a lot going on, but it may really impress people because you're playing the friggin godfather theme, and for people who like their GnR, a big scary slash solo! My advice: don't try to play it the whole way through, just taper off once it starts going fast and finish it off with a little minor pentatonic lick of your own creation.

10. Raining Blood - Slayer

You obviously like this song, or you wouldn't be willing to spend the whole summer learning it. I think you may as well learn one or two prominent riffs from it and just keep those in your back pocket for a while. DO NOT try and learn the entire thing, theres a lot of parts that are difficult, and sound terrible anyway, just learn a riff or two to whip out, you'll be happy with yourself for having (kinda) completed a goal and it will probably impress. The intro is actually really easy, so go have fun with that one for a bit.

P.S. - This is obviously my first post (Hi guys, I'm Sharck) so I'm not honestly sure if this is allowed - yeah, read the rules before posting I know, sorry mods - but I figured I may as well give you some websites that have really helped me learn the aforementioned songs. These are, for the most part video stuffs, because I tend to learn things way better when explained to on a video rather than just looking at tabs. My all time favorite site is justinguitar with a little . com on the end of it. He'll teach you the strummy songs you want and has a mean Sweet Child O Mine lesson. The other big site I like is ThreeChordGuitar, that's where I picked up Mary Had A Little Lamb, that guy's got some great licks that he makes very easy to learn, definitely check that one out.

ok bye
Quote by steven seagull
Destined to fail.

+1

Dude, you are still a beginner as am I. Now is the time you need to be focusing on the BASICS. The building blocks of guitar are extremely important. I know how you feel. I've been guilty of wanting to rush things too, but as I gain experience, I have started to realize how important it is to not rush things. I too believe that the best way to show you're parents that you are devoted to guitar is by practicing alot. Read everything you can and study material that will help you. That in itself will show you are dedicated. Basics now, slayer later. And you will be able to play slayer songs with time. It just takes practice. I'm still a beginner myself, but looking back 6 months ago to when I first started, I'm amazed at how much easier things have gotten. It's kinda funny to think back and think how hard forming the basic open chords were lol. Anyway, stick with it and take it SLOW. Good Luck.
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and take it slower.

P.S I already know the intro to Sweet Child of Mine and my dad absolutely hates Stairway to Heaven. I'd like to learn Teen Spirit, but the palm muting is tricky. I'll give it and Enter Sandman a couple shots though.
Don't try to do songs way out of reach, because if you do it, they will come out really sloppy 99% of the time. Just work on simple riffs and such and the skill will come in time.
Quote by DwLee
Thanks for the replies. I'll try and take it slower.

P.S I already know the intro to Sweet Child of Mine and my dad absolutely hates Stairway to Heaven. I'd like to learn Teen Spirit, but the palm muting is tricky. I'll give it and Enter Sandman a couple shots though.

If you can't play teen spirit you have no business even trying raining blood.

That's like trying to drive a race car without any prior driving experience.
Quote by Havox

I get the picture.

First time actually trying Teen Spirit and it's pretty easy... Just gotta get quicker.
Quote by DwLee
I get the picture.

First time actually trying Teen Spirit and it's pretty easy... Just gotta get quicker.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a dick.

Just get used to fast paced stuff with punk and whatnot.
Quote by Havox
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a dick.

Just get used to fast paced stuff with punk and whatnot.

It's alright. Words over the interweb don't do people justice.
Quote by Havox

STFU

Teen Spirit isn't a beginner song, it's simple but not easy. I'm sick to death of wankers going on about how easy it is and ripping on people who can't play it - for starters you need to be able to fret a barre chord and last time I looked that wasn't something you learned until a few months in.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dude realy work on amon amarth style stuff. ive been playing for 5 months and im already got a couple of there songs down pat, then move on to ensiferum style stuff. battle/folk metal is a great place to start.
take your time dude. i'm pretty sure the act of practicing and studying music everyday is enough to convince anyone that you are serious on learning the guitar. its probably better to stick with stuff suitable for your current ability. have fun!
Quote by steven seagull
STFU

Teen Spirit isn't a beginner song, it's simple but not easy. I'm sick to death of wankers going on about how easy it is and ripping on people who can't play it - for starters you need to be able to fret a barre chord and last time I looked that wasn't something you learned until a few months in.

I think the point Havox was trying to make was that Teen Spirit is easier than Raining Blood. (For at least the majority of people I suppose) So if he couldn't play that, he couldn't play something harder.

Now for my opinion: Don't try and play Raining Blood. Learn lots of riffs and work your way to full songs. Also, learn barre chords because they come in handy QUITE often.

Also...I don't know what your gear is but if you have an electric and an acoustic, learn things on your acoustic first before you even think of the electric.
Quote by steven seagull
STFU

I can play the intro pretty smoothly already after like an hour of practice... I'd have to agree with the guy who said that it's easy. (I'm a newb.)

What are these barre chords?
Barre chord is when you hold down more than one string with one finger
Quote by Sharck
hey guy,
like you, I've only been playing for a couple (I think 4 now) months, but I'm playing constantly, and I've picked up a few easy songs that are sure to impress.

1. Sweet Child O' Mine

If you don't already know it, you should learn it anyway, cause its great for a warmup, and it is VERY impressive to people, probably even more so if your parents grew up to GnR. The intro alone should be enough to impress, so don't worry about the rest of the complicated stuff.

2. Mary Had a Little Lamb

No, not that Mary had a little lamb, the one by Buddy Guy and later, Stevie Ray Vaughan! The intro to this song is full of very impressive little licks with chords in between that give it some structure. If you're not big on blues, this may be a little more difficult because you won't be familiar with the bends and other techniques that blues guys use a lot, but its worth a shot.

3. Enter Sandman - Metallica

I think this was the first real riff I learned, and its a cool one. If you're not up to the string skipping on Sweet Child O' Mine yet, this might help, its got a little bit of stirng skipping, but overall it just sounds cool.

4. And Justice For All - Metallica

The intro to this one sounds cool, and while its apparently played with two guitars, you should be able to figure out how to blend the two and make it sound cool. Don't worry about the parts after the heavy distortion, those won't sound good on their own.

5. Purple Haze - Hendrix

The intro to this one is straight up minor pentatonic scale which you should be well versed in by now. Its not impressive because of the way it sounds alone, but playing some Hendrix should wow some people.

6. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Everyone knows this song and playing songs people know is the absolute best way to get them to enjoy and support your guitar playing, the chorus is enough, but if you wanna go ahead and learn the solo, thats easy too.

7. Stupid Sing-A-Long Songs

Everyone loves the guy who can pull out an acoustic and entertain people at parties with his strummy, chordy, sing-a-long songs. Honestly, its well worth learning a few of your relatives and friends favorite sappy songs and just getting the basic chord progression, people are always quick to refer to you as a "guitar player" rather than "some guy who fiddles with a guitar" once you know some of these songs.

8. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream

Everyone knows this song, so should you.

9. The Godfather Theme - Slash/GnR

This one could go both ways, it may piss people off because of its slow pace and the fact that theres not really a lot going on, but it may really impress people because you're playing the friggin godfather theme, and for people who like their GnR, a big scary slash solo! My advice: don't try to play it the whole way through, just taper off once it starts going fast and finish it off with a little minor pentatonic lick of your own creation.

10. Raining Blood - Slayer

You obviously like this song, or you wouldn't be willing to spend the whole summer learning it. I think you may as well learn one or two prominent riffs from it and just keep those in your back pocket for a while. DO NOT try and learn the entire thing, theres a lot of parts that are difficult, and sound terrible anyway, just learn a riff or two to whip out, you'll be happy with yourself for having (kinda) completed a goal and it will probably impress. The intro is actually really easy, so go have fun with that one for a bit.

P.S. - This is obviously my first post (Hi guys, I'm Sharck) so I'm not honestly sure if this is allowed - yeah, read the rules before posting I know, sorry mods - but I figured I may as well give you some websites that have really helped me learn the aforementioned songs. These are, for the most part video stuffs, because I tend to learn things way better when explained to on a video rather than just looking at tabs. My all time favorite site is justinguitar with a little . com on the end of it. He'll teach you the strummy songs you want and has a mean Sweet Child O Mine lesson. The other big site I like is ThreeChordGuitar, that's where I picked up Mary Had A Little Lamb, that guy's got some great licks that he makes very easy to learn, definitely check that one out.

ok bye

You win the Most Helpful First Post Award.

By the way, don't even bother to try to learn the pull-off riff in Raining Blood. You don't have the finger strength or accuracy yet, and unless you practice it very slowly, you will build up some bad habits trying to learn the riff after only a few months of playing.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by steven seagull
STFU

He didn't really say that it was easy, he said that if you can't play that song, he really shouldn't be trying to learn the harder, more complaicated Raining Blood riffs yet.

I agree though, too many people bash the song, even though they didn't learn barre chords until 7-8 months of playing.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I'm learning Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep. Great song, fun to play.
Set-Up:
- Ibanez RGA42FM
- Epiphone Les Paul Special II
- Crate 15W Amp
- Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
- Line 6 Pocket Pod

- Peavey International II Drum Set (Cherry Red)
- Zildjian Cymbals
- Evans Heads with Remo E-Rings
Quote by DwLee
I'd like to learn Teen Spirit, but the palm muting is tricky.

sigged.

(not really)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is