One more question regarding Univibe: is it vibrato/chorus unit, or is it a phase shifter, or a flanger? More appropriately speaking, I want one that would provide an effect close to Leslie Speaker/vibratone

Because if it is closer to flanger+chorus, I may ended up with the Stereo Polychorus (though BBE mind bender is still in my option), George Dennis GD90 Stereo Chorus/Flanger/Volume Pedal, or even Gig-fx Chopper.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 21, 2008,
Its a Vibrato/Chorus unit moreso than Phase Shifting, way different than Flange. Your better off with a univibe unit for more Leslie type sounds.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
you might also like the Boss Rotary Sound Processor. I've got the Dunlop Univibe and its great for what it does, but I wish I could do a bit more with it. The overall univibe effect is cool, but it does get a little boring after a while because its such a 'transparent' swirl effect. the leslie sound has a bit more color to it. I've played the Boss and it does the Univibe fairly well, plus its like a hundred dollars cheaper and the Univibe only works with the included powersupply.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

sorry to hijack the thread, but can you get the same effect by using a vibrato and a chorus pedal simultaneously?
Quote by chea_man
sorry to hijack the thread, but can you get the same effect by using a vibrato and a chorus pedal simultaneously?

No, that's alright...

Anyway, yes, I could have just get both vibrato & chorus pedal, and in functionality it would have been better, since I will get both effect at once, instead of one or either but not both— But I just want something that is close to original Leslie, perhaps I would like a leslie sound more than Univibe's vibrato

I am not completely knocking digital off, it's just that people tend to be against digital even when no overdrives are involved... and digital is far away from the original univibe.

Of course, the best would be actually trying to build a vibratone or leslie, which would give me vibrato, chorus, flanging, phase shift. But dude... those are some BIG speaker cabs.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 21, 2008,
Quote by chea_man

I think it's either/or not both.

Rotovibe has a button to switch between them.

You generally don't want more than one type of modulation.
So which effect is closest to Leslie, flanger, phase shifter, or vibrato?

Also, is Boss' digital effects any good? (excluding the overdrives)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Hello?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
A vibrato/chorus pedal would prolly give you somethin similar. I have a BBE Mindbender and a Rotovibe and they both have both effects. Keep the depth setting lowish, and it should do the trick.

I think a tremolo effect could give you a similar effect as well.

Some people are gonna trash Boss pedals, but the ones I have are built great and do everything I need them to do. That being said, branch out and check out other brands, since chances are Boss isn't gonna make the best of every effect, to suit your taste.
Definitely not tremolo, since it only change the volume, but out of all modulation effect it is cheaper.

Anyway, I think the effect I am looking for is doppler effect, which based on my research, can be more or less duplicated by all modulation effects. And Apparently, Vibrato is basically Leslie spinning fast, while chorus is Leslie spinning slowly.

In that case I will consider either gig-fx Chopper, George Dennis' Chrous-Flanger, Rotary Ensemble if I believe digital is acceptable (from what I heard, digital has the benefit of not affected by noise), and Rotovibe if I am really on a budget and still uncertain, but I will lack the stereo option.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Not cheap but a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 would fit the bill. It's what Trower now uses for his vibe/leslie tone.
Quote by Myrdinn
Not cheap but a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 would fit the bill. It's what Trower now uses for his vibe/leslie tone.

I find ironic that, in order to find something that is like the original leslie, I ended up paying more than Dunlop Univibe... But then again, it's good stuff, not "slap a $100 dollars label to overcharge" item.

The reason I want to go with George Dennis is that, from the amps I tried, they are good stuff... IMHO, George Dennis is this decade's Leo fender and Randall Smith. Plus, it's cheap.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff