what are some amps that meet the following:

- upper-mids to high-treble, country-type of voicing

- NO AMP OR EFFECTS MODELLING

- 50-60W SS

- footswitchable

- $300-500

- for 60's and 70's cleans (i.e. Eagles, Jefferson Airplane, Stones, Beatles, BeeGees, etc.)

- only well-known brands (Marshall, Fender, Crate, Vox, etc.)

If you have any ideas please post, thanks.
i dont know why youd wanna go for solid state if you want a really good country voicing. youd really be better off getting a little fender tube or something similiar. id recommend a blues deluxe or blues junior. or a peavey delta blues. even if you think they won't be loud enough, they are. they definitely are.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

you want a big ol fender twin reverb.

edit. oh never mind, you want solid state.
Last edited by chea_man at May 21, 2008,
I would get a tube, but I don't have the budget for it. And the high maintenance issues. I also have OCD and am deathly afraid of the soldering when you change tubes and reset biasing. I know they're may/may not be any soldering involved, but if you accidentally touch the boards, well...you know...yeah, Im a looney.
you can get pretty good country tones out of a roland JC-120, but those are pretty damned expensive, I recommend saving up for a used fender twin.

oh and for changing tubes you just pop the old ones out and pop the new ones in, no soldering involved. you set the bias usually by turning these little screws which are usually somewhere near the tubes.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Like I said, I don't know, but you could still accidentally come in contact with soldering from the wires, resistors, inductor, caps,........Like I said I'm just scared of that kind of ****.

anyway back to the amps, let's stay on topic here.

For those of you just joining us, here's a recap:

50-65W
SS
Country-voiced
good upper-mids to high treble
60's-70's type cleans
$300-450
get another $200 and buy a Roland Jazz Chorus.

remember that most of the clean sounds you want where made with tube amps, so you aren't gonna that close without one, but the JC-120 is still pretty good for what you want.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at May 21, 2008,
what you're worried about w/ tube amps isn't gonna happen. they're made to be changed regularly so the manufacturer's wouldn't put sensitve and dangerous electrical parts where they could be so easily grazed when changing tubes. otherwise they'd warn you to wear rubber gloves when handling the tubes!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
theres nothing like that to touch when you change the tubes. the tubes are on the outside, the dangerous stuff is inside the amp. i hate to say this but your acting kind of stupid.
yeah, but the manufacturers and techs regularly work with these types of things like solder, electrolytic capacitors (capacitors made with a chemical electrolyte as the di-electric between the two plates). Whatever is on there bench when they build it, can also come into contact by TRANSFERANCE. Look it up to see what i t means, and google how crazy OCD can make a person.
just go try **** out. you cant diagnose yourself with OCD.
and you could just get a tech to change your tubes if your going to be a baby.
alritey man well i'd say maybe look into a used roland jazz chorus then.

i feel sorry if that's keeping you from getting tube amps....you're gonna miss out on a lotta sweet tone. do you get this way when changing a light bulb? Afraid somehow the protected electrical components are gonna jump outta nowhere and shock ya?

jk.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by neptune1988
yeah, but the manufacturers and techs regularly work with these types of things like solder, electrolytic capacitors (capacitors made with a chemical electrolyte as the di-electric between the two plates). Whatever is on there bench when they build it, can also come into contact by TRANSFERANCE. Look it up to see what i t means, and google how crazy OCD can make a person.

Dude your paranoid you dont have to worry about it even when coming in contact with it. I used to do car audio installs for like 4 years and now im an amp tech. Touch and inhail the stuff all the time. Nothing has happened to me and i get blood tests like once or twice a year and can prove it doesnt effect you in any way. The issue with solder is back in the 70's they used lead based solder so yes that will cause issues. But that was in the 70's so as long as youe not messing with vintage amps you will be fine. And a tube is nothing more then a eletronic circuit inside a glass container so its probally the safest thing there is. Only thing you have to stay away from is the under side of a capacitor which is not an issue when changing out tubes. If you that worried how do you even use a cell phone or change out a light bulb. More people die from changing out a light bulb then messing with an amp. Also you can always buy you some gloves.

Also im OCD as hell and still mess with that stuff... Its not like its a wooden box filled with THE AIDS...
Hey, anything's possible.....

I quit seein my therapist because she always pissed me off. Should I start going back?
just go try out as many SS amps that you can. pick the one you like the best.

its pointless to give you advicce because you dont listen.
Quote by neptune1988
Hey, anything's possible.....

I quit seein my therapist because she always pissed me off. Should I start going back?

If that was the case you should be scared to even play an electric guitar because there is a risk of you getting electrocuted... Just seems like a crazy thing to be scared of especially when you probally do worse stuff on a day to day basis. Also if you think about it that same tech that touched those parts insdie your amp also touched the outside of your amp multiple number of times so the outside is contanminated even on your precious SS amp. Also solder is harmful if inhailed not to the touch so no issues there but that solder smoke drenched the inside of your precious SS amp as well.. Dear god man your screwed.... This brings an Iron Maiden song to mind... Run to the hills run for your lives....
I recommend a Mesa Lonestar. No SS amp will give you a good country spank and grind. Play the lonestar with a telecaster and your ready to open for Kenny Chesney.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12