I'm getting rid of my Toneport KB37, it's of no use to me anymore. I just play acoustic guitar and sing so I'm looking to buy some condenser mics. I've seen some packages on MF for the MXL 990 and 991, has anyone had much experience with those? I also need to get a good pre-amp I'm guessing (I'm nooby when it comes to recording). So, basically I need help in general just starting over with my recording set-up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Budget? And you're right about the preamp, but there's no need to ditch the Toneport just yet since it's not bad in relaying audio to your computer.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Ummm, I'd like to stay around $200 maybe a little more. I plan to get rid of the KB37 because it takes up a lot of room for the keyboard and I never use that keyboard anyway. I might downgrade so I have the 2 instrument inputs and 2 XLR inputs. If I kept a toneport, would I still need the pre-amp then?
The toneport has integrated preamps, so if you kept it, there would be no need to have another one. But, if you want two instruments and 2 XLR inputs with integrated preamps, the Presonus Inspire is exactly what you want...and it'll even separate each input. It's $150: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Inspire1394/
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

So you need an interface with on board preamps and phantom power to run two MXL mics.
The 990/991 are great units. I put a review in the sticky at the top of the page along with Bill.

They are fair at vocals and great on acoustic when used as a set.

The PreSonus 1394 interface has two inputs, phantom power for condenser mics, and firewire connection to the computer so it should work great for you.
If your computer doesnt have a 6 pin firewire port you can get a PCI card and install it in your computer. They can be had for cheap these days too.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 22, 2008,
The Presonus sounds like it may be what I'm looking for actually. Seems like it'd work quite well. Another reason I'm getting rid of the Toneport is that I'm going to college and it's kinda bulky. So something small like that would work a lot better and I can easily store it to take home. Ok, I feel very nooby for this but what exactly does phantom power do? I've seen it on tons of products but never actually read what it's used for.
Phantom Power is just what powers condenser mics. Dynamic mics don't need any external power source, but for condensers you'll need to have either a preamp, interface, or multi-track equipped with phantom power.

And as for the MXL package, it is actually really good for the amount of money. I don't particularly care for the 990, but the 991, is a great mic that sounds good on everything (especially acoustic).
Ok, so if you have phantom power, no outside source is needed. So, is there a different condenser I should consider for vocals to replace the 990? Also, should I go ahead and buy a shockmount and popfilter. I know that I was wanting one before. Thanks for the advice so far.
For vocals, the M Audio Nova is a fantastic buy. And go ahead with the shockmount and pop filter, especially the latter. The shockmount is more to reduce the effects of moving or knocking a microphone about, while the pop filter removes plosives and sibilances that can really mess up a recording.
Quote by keiron_d