I'm about to start my first in-depth pedal, a TS-808 clone, and I had a few questions. First, what's the best way of mounting the PCB inside of the enclosure. Second, how should I go about making the holes in a metal enclosure. I have a hand drill, but I'm not sure if it's got enough juice to handle it or not. Any advice is much appreciated.
I'm going to start my pedal soon, and right now I think i'm going to use these
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=76

and glue it upside down on the top of the enclosure so when you unscrew the bottom plate nothing is attached to it... thats how EHX did it in my metal muff I think...

as for gluing im not sure how well thats going to work...still working on that
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
im sure they are made out of others but the enclosures that I've gotten from Pedal parts plus are soft metal. I drilled them with a regular battery powered hand drill. just be carefull if you havnt drilled through metal before cause it's a good bit different from wood.
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
If its aluminum, your hand drill will do fine. If its steel, you may have a tougher time. Make sure to measure and mark your holes correctly and have a steady hand.

Aluminum is much better than steel for pedals. Better shielding properties, lighter, and just as sturdy for the amount of pressure and wear a pedal will receive.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
If your going to be building a lot (and not just pedals, amp chassis and such) I strongly suggest investing in a drill press.

They are fairly cheap and are much better than hand drills. They take a lot of the hassle out of drilling.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
I'm going to start my pedal soon, and right now I think i'm going to use these
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=76

and glue it upside down on the top of the enclosure so when you unscrew the bottom plate nothing is attached to it... thats how EHX did it in my metal muff I think...

as for gluing im not sure how well thats going to work...still working on that

Does anyone know if you can find these sorts of these things at Lowes or an Ace hardware store? I only ask because I already placed my smallbear order, and didn't really want to pay more shipping just for mounting screws.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know if smallbear's enclosures are aluminum or not, and what would be the best type of drill bit to use for drilling? Would it be a good idea to get a file to smooth out the edges?
Last edited by Kentris.5 at May 22, 2008,
All of those hammond-style enclosures should be aluminum.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors