After all this stuff about a guitarist not wanting to learn theory, I have realised I would like to learn theory. I did a search and sure things came up but I have no Idea where to start. So might anyone point me in the right direction to start with? Like what part of theory should I begin learning? I don't know much. But if someone can point me in the right direction I'll take it from there. So any help?

Thanks in advance.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
start with the blues scale.
and get a good theory book. I use Bass Playing for Dummies.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
learn what intervals are, then learn what a major scale is. Learn how to play a major scale. The major scale is the foundation for all musical theory.
musictheory.net is good. Also, if you are into books a good place to start is "The complete idiot's guide to music theory". Despite the title, its a good solid volume and covers basic to intermediate theory.
Here's another great site for bass theory...

www.studybass.com/

I've just been learning music theory on my own, and once i figued out what was what with scales and chords, I totally feel that i've got a good handle on constructing bass lines that really flow well. Just learn a bit at a time and it will all become clear!
for rock and blues the key is pentatonic scales. i'd also recommend starting with some intervals, it'll help your ear immeasurably.
id always start with the major scale. Almost all chordal theory is based on intervals, which is based on the major scale.

Learn the ins and outs of the major scale, then learn your basic natural minor. Then learn modes of the major, then how to form chords... then by then take it wherever you want to go.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
id always start with the major scale. Almost all chordal theory is based on intervals, which is based on the major scale.

Learn the ins and outs of the major scale, then learn your basic natural minor. Then learn modes of the major, then how to form chords... then by then take it wherever you want to go.

Yeah start with the C Major, since it has to sharps or flats.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
G-------------------5-7-8-7-5--------------------
D---------------5-7------------7-5----------------
A--------5-6-7---------------------7-6-5---------
E---5--8-----------------------------------8--5---

This is the Blues Scale in A. Like thehumanity said, learn this. You should learn other scales, but if you are playing rock, this is an important scale to know along with major and minor pentatonic scales which you'll probably learn later. Props for realizing to learn theory. Too many guitarists know just how to play songs.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Quote by JohnnyBeep
Any suggestions for comprehensive scale books? Recently discovered the importance of theory as well.

Serious Electric Bass- Joel Di Bartolo
Fretbord Alchemy- Scott Hubbell

Those are probably the two best scale books around.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by SomeGuyInJersey
E---5--8-----------------------------------8--5---

This is the Blues Scale in A. Like thehumanity said, learn this. You should learn other scales, but if you are playing rock, this is an important scale to know along with major and minor pentatonic scales which you'll probably learn later. Props for realizing to learn theory. Too many guitarists know just how to play songs.

Oh I'm not a guitarist, I'm a Bassist . There was just this thread posted around the time when i posted this one talking about someones guitarist not wanting to learn theory. But thanks everybody for the suggestions!
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Get the Guitar Grimoire. Its a really nice book of scales i bought about a month ago.
Since its made for guitars you just need to know not to look at the last two strings (duh). Their site. I really recommend it if you got about 25$ CDN laying around, but for theory This is a great site.
You stole my Overture
Quote by SomeGuyInJersey
E---5--8-----------------------------------8--5---.

Am I crazy or is this eerily similar to a minor pentatonic scale?
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
Quote by not wisniewski
Am I crazy or is this eerily similar to a minor pentatonic scale?
Quote by Wikipedophile
The blues scale is a hexatonic scale consisting of the minor pentatonic scale plus the ♯4 or ♭5 degree.
Quote by BulletFrost
Get the Guitar Grimoire. Its a really nice book of scales i bought about a month ago.
Since its made for guitars you just need to know not to look at the last two strings (duh). Their site. I really recommend it if you got about 25$ CDN laying around, but for theory This is a great site.

There is a Bass Grimoire book as well. I'm not sure of the major differences, but I'd assume you'd be set with the Bass Grimoire. I can't imagine that the Guitar Grimoire has more "information."

Regardless, the book WILL NOT really explain theory. It has some info in it, but if you're new to theory, it might just confuse you. Either way, it's an extremely handy manual and a very comprehensive list of scales and the like. I'd suggest it 100% for scales and stuff, but for actually learning theory and the basics, I would suggest Bass Guitar For Dummies.

I heard Fretboard Alchemy is a good buy, too. I've never read into it or even looked that much into it; I only heard it was good.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Bass Grimoire is a dictionary of scales and appropriate fretboard patterns. Its useful for finding the scale patterns up and down the fretboard. Period.
Just started playing myself - I use Beginning Bass Scales by Peter Pickow for scales. Also you cant go wrong with Bass Guitar for Dummies.