Thinking about upgrading to a TonePros bridge on my Epi Les Paul. How do the bridge and stoptail studs come out of the guitar?

Also, for the locking benefits, does the stoptail have to be replaced at the same time as the bridge or can I get away with keeping my stock stoptail piece?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Last edited by CutlassSupreme at May 21, 2008,
The Studs Just Twist Out But The Holes Are There For Good

Tip; Im Putting A Frequensator Tailpeice On My Epi Sg To Hide The Holes I Had Studs Made Up That Just Have A Flat Chrome Top If I Get Tired Of The Tailpeice Take Out The Studs And Put The Stop On
Thank you
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Before you get carried away might want to make sure a tonepros will fit an epi. Epis are metric so most aftermarket bridges dont fit. The stud spacing is just a little off. It will go on when the studs are out a ways but get really tight when you try to lower the action. And you shouldnt have to pull the sleeves to put a different set of studs in it.
Most of the TOM studs that I've seen are hammered in straight, and have NO thread. If you twist the stud to get it out, you'll just mash the hole, and wreck your chances of another staying in there. Attach the bridge/stopbar post, then pull hard with a claw hammer, adjustable wrench, or w/e.
I didn't want to scratch the gold bridge/stopbar posts when pulling the bushing out, so I just found a regular bolt that happened to be threaded just right, screwed it in and pulled the bolt and bushing out with a pair of sturdy pliers.

Some time later I randomly saw a bolt on the street and thought "hm, the thread and diameter seem the right size -> a potential bushing extractor for free!" And right I was, now I've got 2
Thank you everyone for the information. I guess I'll stick with my stock bridge.
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
The studs simply screw out. The bushings must be pulled out. If you're replacing a TOM with a TOM of the same style, you do not need to pull the bushings out. Just screw the out the old studs and insert the new.