I got my tubes in last week but I havent been home till now, SO i decided to open up my Blackheart Little Giant Combo and swap them out....

That last pic says "Viva Belov"

Sorry I only had my cell phone and its starting to get a little banged up....

Anyways I wanted to get more gain out of my LG so I ordered a Hot grade JJ El84 Power tube, and a High Gain 12AX7 preamp.

WOW sounds awesome. It seems alot louder on both 3 and 5 watt settings.

Before on the 3 watt mode It was fairly clean with a hint of breakup fully cranked.
Now it starts breaking up just over halfway with 3/4's giving me a very nice Sweet Child tone.

On 5 watts, its LOUD. Its still doesnt have enough gain for Modern Metal, but I am hitting 80's metal no problem.

Its much clearer too... I think I need to clean up my playing a bit...

Good job.
what were the stock tubes in it? I looked in my friend's LG head, but I couldn't see the tubes well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sweet.
I want to have my friend get some new tubes for his LG. the stock tubes kind of sound harsh to my ears, so I can't wait to see what it'll sound like with some JJ's or tungsols.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i just ordered a JJ el84 a couple days ago from dougstubes.com

i'm hoping it helps out a lot lol. a high gain 12AX7? what's the brand and model of that? i might have to look into it...well...maybe not...cuz i do like being able to play slightly dirty blues cranked.....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Actually, I may donate one of my extra JJ el84's to my friend.
Too bad I didn't have a 12AX7 to give him.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i just ordered a JJ el84 a couple days ago from dougstubes.com

i'm hoping it helps out a lot lol. a high gain 12AX7? what's the brand and model of that? i might have to look into it...well...maybe not...cuz i do like being able to play slightly dirty blues cranked.....

Both JJ brand form Eurotubes.

You would be able to play dirty blues on the 3 watt mode and man its seems like its as loud as the 5 watt mode was before the swap.

Its quick and easy to change out so if you dont like it no biggie... You can send it to me.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=2&sub_category_id=12

2nd from the bottom
Eurotubes has JJ's?? NO WAY!!

Well, the amp stock, with the 3 watt switch on, seemed to smooth out the highs and increase the headroom/make it cleaner.
Did the tube swap change anything?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Eurotubes has JJ's?? NO WAY!!

Well, the amp stock, with the 3 watt switch on, seemed to smooth out the highs and increase the headroom/make it cleaner.
Did the tube swap change anything?

Before on the 3 watt mode It was fairly clean with a hint of breakup fully cranked.
Now it starts breaking up just over halfway with 3/4's giving me a very nice Sweet Child tone.

On 5 watts, its LOUD. Its still doesnt have enough gain for Modern Metal, but I am hitting 80's metal no problem.

Yeah its got gain to it... Its got more bass now too it seems..

IMO the 3 wat mode was affected the most... it breaks up alot earlier now.

THe 5 watt mode got alot.. clearer?? thats not quite the right word

It has more gain to it but ... I dont know the words to put this... Every note is more defined.... when playing a chord you can hear each note in it, instead of just a blurb of sound.. you know?

More life?
I get your drift.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Steel8909
What about clips?!!

No way to record right now... My recording gear was stolen....

I have new stuff on the way though, and actually my Shure SM57 arrived today.. no Zooom MRS-1608 yet though.
yea ur amp prolly did get a bit louder.

as you prolly know, but likely overlooked, the wattage rating is how loud the amp is BEFORE breakup. so if you put higher gain tube in it, it'll break up earlier, thus leave more room for increasing gain where there used to be less. in this way you can get heavier gain on each setting and therefor get louder on each setting.

fun fact. "the more you know"

lol. in that case i'll prolly not get the higher gained preamp tube for a lil while. just b/c i need it to stay pretty vintage voiced and just use my bad monkey to drive it farther. can't wait for my set of JJ EL84s to arrive
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Uh oh
Is everything hooked up alright?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Do you still have it under warranty?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Put the old power tube back in and replace the fuse. If that doesn't work, you have a transformer or rectifier failure.
Yeah they have 5 year warrantys.. plus I got it for a tattoo so... I dunno but I never got the tattoo yet.. (waiting for the Head version which was the agreement.)

ANYWAYS Put the original tube in.. it worked... put the JJ in... It worked.

Must have come loose or I never put it all the way in? ANyways it works. I am only gonna tighten a couple screws in the back in case it comes loose again.
*phew*

I was worried there!
Sweet, so you'll end up having a combo and a head version?
Or do I have it wrong?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
*phew*

I was worried there!
Sweet, so you'll end up having a combo and a head version?
Or do I have it wrong?

Yeah, I think I am supposed to send the Combo back... but I will probally end up buying it from them.. Or talking Kevin into letting me keep it anyways... I mean shipping costs will make it a wash anyways... and they wont sell a used amp...

My plans was to put these tubes in the Head version, but I couldnt wait.
im thinking of changing tubes in mine also, but its my first tube amp so i dont know anything about tubes yet :p , you got some recomendations? And do you know some good online store for tubes that have fast shipment in europe?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard