So I plan on going to the guitar store near my house tomorrow or the day after. But I am really nervous to play around people since I am not that good, and when I get nervous I cant think of what to play, my mind just goes blank. I don't plan on using an amp or if I do its going to be on really low so no one hears my crappy playing skills.

When I am nervous my playing becomes really bad and I become really uncomterable, especially when some pro is doing like sweep picking and stuff.

But yeah I am just nervous... Mainly because I always hear people say that kids go in guitar stores and show off and be cocky. All I really know is like power chords songs and stuff mainly and some easy solos.

Reason I wanna go to the center is because I wanna try out a couple of guitars and check out some books and what not.
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Play Stairway. They'll love it.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by Explicit User

I've been told not to play that in there, because people play too much. Besides I only know the intro to that song.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Quote by Explicit User

word +1

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Kash1333
I've been told not to play that in there, because people play too much. Besides I only know the intro to that song.

Only the intro? thats perfect. Make sure to play it on every guitar.

Im only messing with you though.

NEVER play stairway in a guitar store, unless you're trying to be a dick.

Don't worry about showing off and all that bs. just play what you want, and if you're really looking for a guitar, you're gonna have to plug it in to see what it sounds like.

just play what you normally play so you get a good feel for it. just pretend you're at home.
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by Explicit User
Only the intro? thats perfect. Make sure to play it on every guitar.

Im only messing with you though.

NEVER play stairway in a guitar store, unless you're trying to be a dick.

Don't worry about showing off and all that bs. just play what you want, and if you're really looking for a guitar, you're gonna have to plug it in to see what it sounds like.

just play what you normally play so you get a good feel for it. just pretend you're at home.

I would never think about showing off I just don't want to have someone come up to me and say I suck or show off to me. I'd feel really bad.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
you know what? just say " ****em". who cares if you're not as good as the cocky kid in the other row playing his ass off. he probably can't play his way through an entire song without screwing it up, and their playing the licks they concentrated hours of practice on so they could show off at the local shop. when i go into a guitar store to buy a new guitar, i play the main riff to "enter sandman" "how you remind me" cowboys from hell" and a couple of little solo breaks, like the first solo break in "every rose has it's thorn" and a few things i do for warm ups. I'm not impressing anyone but also, that's not really why I'm at the store. I'm there to check things out, and probably go home with something new. So play your power chords, hold your head high, and know that you're probably the only one in the store this week that doesn't feel like they have something to prove to a bunch of people they don't know.
try and keep your playing as close to what you would do at home, jamming with friends etc... dont get caught up in what you play just go through stuff or make up stuff and just play let your hands do what they know how to do. nobodys going to laugh at you or call you out or anything, no decent person would anyways..

all guitar players have been there we all know what its like and you shoud feel no shame for trying to get good at an instrument some are better then others at. its all practice and time.

as for trying out guitars try a variety so you play as close to everything as you can, get different feels find what you like and start narrowing it down, dont be afraid to ask for help from anybody and dont go in pretending to know stuff youll be found out pretty quick.

its all attitude if you think the experience will be good it most likely will be and if you stay positive i guarentee somebodys going to teach you something or youll learn something on your own at the very least.

in short have fun be positive and confident in what you know and stay open to new ideas, good luck man
Quote by jamogod
So play your power chords, hold your head high, and know that you're probably the only one in the store this week that doesn't feel like they have something to prove to a bunch of people they don't know.

Exactly!
Alright I'll give it a shot, hopefully it all goes alright.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
good luck, if it's tom lee you're going to, the guys there are great and can give you alot of info on what you are looking for and help you feel very welcome too. enjoy.
dude dont stress about it too much, i guarentee the people there have heard people 10x worse then you, who think they are 10x better.
just go in there, play what you know, and have a good time. nobody will judge you in a place like that.
Quote by jamogod
good luck, if it's tom lee you're going to, the guys there are great and can give you alot of info on what you are looking for and help you feel very welcome too. enjoy.

Actually it is Tom Lee The only time I have gone into guitar stores was to look at guitars, watch others play, and to buy my first amp and guitar. But I really am dieing to try a Jackson V out just for fun.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
play Farewell Ballad - Zakk Wylde or Nemesis - Arch Enemy
Last edited by Graveworm at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Graveworm
play Farewell Ballad - Zakk Wylde or Nemesis - Arch Enemy

Nemesis sounds pretty hard... Lol.. I don't think I'll be able to do that for a while. But Farewell Ballad doesn't seem TOO bad but it still may be hard for me when it speeds up.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Last edited by Kash1333 at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Kash1333
Actually it is Tom Lee The only time I have gone into guitar stores was to look at guitars, watch others play, and to buy my first amp and guitar. But I really am dieing to try a Jackson V out just for fun.

Dude, your profile says you reside in surrey...are you going to the Tom Lees in Langley? Cause that's where I go . Maybe I'll see you there some time .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Dude, your profile says you reside in surrey...are you going to the Tom Lees in Langley? Cause that's where I go . Maybe I'll see you there some time .

I go to the one in Surrey, but one day I'd deffinatly go to meet ya at the Langly one. Thats if your cool with dealing with my crappy playing at the moment!
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Quote by Kash1333
I go to the one in Surrey, but one day I'd deffinatly go to meet ya at the Langly one. Thats if your cool with dealing with my crappy playing at the moment!

lol, ya that would be cool . We'll have to plan that .
dude just play whatever you want play a simple blues or rock, and have a buddy play over top.
What I would do is to not try and play a song fragment that is recognizeable if you mess it up or is too cliche. Play some power chord combinations and then a few scales to get comfortable. Once you are feeling loose, maybe experiment with some song parts that you know. Or not.

Bends are tough when you are amp'ed up since even if you are trying to be non-descript with them, it is pretty obvious when you badly miss hitting the right pitch.

Once you do it a few times, you get more comfortable that the earth won't swallow you up on every missed note. Your next trip in will be easier and you can focus more on the amp or guitar you are looking at rather than thinking you are on stage.
Quote by Kash1333
So I plan on going to the guitar store near my house tomorrow or the day after. But I am really nervous to play around people since I am not that good, and when I get nervous I cant think of what to play, my mind just goes blank. I don't plan on using an amp or if I do its going to be on really low so no one hears my crappy playing skills.

When I am nervous my playing becomes really bad and I become really uncomterable, especially when some pro is doing like sweep picking and stuff.

But yeah I am just nervous... Mainly because I always hear people say that kids go in guitar stores and show off and be cocky. All I really know is like power chords songs and stuff mainly and some easy solos.

Reason I wanna go to the center is because I wanna try out a couple of guitars and check out some books and what not.

You shouldn't be concerned about it - you're going there to try stuff, not perform. Nobody else in there is going to care what you're playing either, they're there to either buy stuff or dick around with their mates.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kash1333
I would never think about showing off I just don't want to have someone come up to me and say I suck or show off to me. I'd feel really bad.

If they do, say "Showing off to noobs/being good at guitar isn't going to make your penis any bigger"

works every time
Quote by Dance_of_Death
If they do, say "Showing off to noobs/being good at guitar isn't going to make your penis any bigger"

works every time

It actually does. It has to do with self confidence increasing your testosteron production. Seriously.

But... If you only know some power chord songs, wouldn't you want a guitar you can play power chord songs on? So go in there, and get the one the power chord songs sound best on. I'm in no way an expert on buying guitars, but that would be my basic reasoning.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Yeah, never play Stairway to heaven or sweet child o mine.

A while back when the song came out there would be "No Stairway" signs in guitar stores.

But anyways, I know the feeling. It's crappy. Chances are they won't say anything to you as long as you're not being a dick by turning your volume up super loud and playing badly. Power chords are fine, if they say something just say you just started a few months ago or weeks, however long it's been.

Give a try at Holy Diver - Dio. It uses only power chords and palm muting until the solo pretty much. Also, they won't think you are a total noob
Quote by Ze_Metal
Yeah, never play Stairway to heaven or sweet child o mine.

A while back when the song came out there would be "No Stairway" signs in guitar stores.

But anyways, I know the feeling. It's crappy. Chances are they won't say anything to you as long as you're not being a dick by turning your volume up super loud and playing badly. Power chords are fine, if they say something just say you just started a few months ago or weeks, however long it's been.

Give a try at Holy Diver - Dio. It uses only power chords and palm muting until the solo pretty much. Also, they won't think you are a total noob

THis man is right, as all the others. NEVER play stairway. I'm no pro (actually, I'm a noob myself) but it is a rule i have learned. Holy Diver is an awsome choice cause it's pretty easy, but isn't one of those songs that sounds show offish and over used.
Quote by DownInAHole.
I stuck my dick in a cactus. True story.

One thing you learn as you become a better guitarist is that people don't care as much as you think they do. I found this out the hard way.
Quote by TroM
One thing you learn as you become a better guitarist is that people don't care as much as you think they do. I found this out the hard way.

You would't worry all the time what people think about you if you knew how seldom they do.

This one goes beyond playing the guitar actually.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I had the same problem buying my first guitar, and I didn't know how to play at all!

Can someone explain to me why it's not a good idea to play that "stairway" song or "sweet child o' mine"?
Well like I said because people played it SO much when they first came out the people working at the guitar stores would get very pissed off. I would to.

It's still kind of like that today, they are just way overplayed.
Honestly, no one really blatantly shows off in guitar stores unless they're total douches.
dude, a lot of people in there arent very good...but weve all been at that stage in our playing and just think its cool that your learning to play. I heard a kid screw up californication and sweet child of mine so badly on a loud ass setting the other day, but i give him props for learning and trying.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
This is why I hate those dicks that show off in guitar stores. They make the place unwelcome to new players. Just go in the place and ignore everyone else. You don't have to prove how good you are to a bunch of people you don't know.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Just go in there, rock a minor pentatonic scale with full distortion. If anybody looks at you, just say "you wanna duel b%$ch".

Seriously, I'd hardly been playing a month when I went to buy a new guitar. I know the feeling of not wanting to look like a noob. Hey, we are. I just played some scales just enough to where I could hear most of it.
dont feel bad i always havw the same problem and ive been plating 9 years. Then best thing to do though is ask people like to help and if it makes you feel better everyone has ther bad day. And everyone ****s sooner or later.
As long as you're considerate (Like keeping the volume low enough to not bother others) then the only people who will criticise you for being bad are the people you shouldn't care about anyway. They're just insecure about their own skill and want to make themselves feel better.
Basic business sense tells me that if I owned a guitar store and one of my employees harassed anyone for whatever (too high a volume notwithstanding, this bothers others sometimes), for not playing well or playing something they did not want to hear, I would promptly FIRE them! Why in the world would I chase someone away that might spend money in my establishment?

Most of what is being said here is about maturity really. Money is money and if I am dropping my hard earned cash, I'd better not get any immature attitude from anyone or I will take my business elsewhere .

Chris