Hey guys, you guys have helped me out quite a bit before, but I need some more help. I cant seem to get the tone for necrophagist quite right........it always sounds a bit too something..
well, my current settings are:
drive-8
bass-6
mids-8
treble-8

what should I do from there? I have a peavey Vk 112 btw, and a Shecter hellraiser, active emg 81/85 set.

Thanks!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Dont take your treble past 5 usually i keep mine at about 4.5. Bass at 6 is a tad low for a VK i would probally boost that to like 7-8 and mids your right on the im about to get harsh threshold, 8 is maximum i would go on mids. Also kick your gain down to 7 after that it can get muddy. Hope that helps....
Dime the bass, and your mids are WAY to high for that. If you're trying to closely replicate the tone, your mids shouldn't even be boosted (4-5 ideally). Mids on 8 is like classic rock, nasally tones, that's not what you want.

It's death metal for pete sake!!!
Necrophagist actually use a fair amount of mids
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
They boost mids and have really low gain. I used to have Sami Raatikainen's SE settings. Ill give it a look later to see if I can find it. He emailed them to me when I got my powerball.

Just make sure you go low on the gain, and keep it smooth. The main thing that will get you the tone is an ENGL though. Their tone is all ENGL.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Alright, so do you have anything specific? Or should i just lower the gain, and........wait.........wtf is an ENGL?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

OH, ok. I just didnt' know exactly what you were talking about.

but anyway, i cant really buy a new amp.......so what setting should i start tweaking at?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

and then use vader cabs with the ENGL
It's definitely a nice tone imo, mainly the sweeping solos.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Honestly, you'll never get their tone unless you have an ENGL. Sorry.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I cant even get close????

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I cant even get close????
honestly, i HIGHLY doubt it. I have a 6505 and i can't get close. Its a completely different voicing that ENGL's have...
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
hm.....well, ill just tweak until it sounds good enough for me........ill keep that ENGL in mind for future reference though......thanks!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

The reason being that you can't get close with any other amp brand than Engl is because Engl's are one of the high-gain amp brands that have a bright sort of atmoshpere in the tone on their amps, and it works really well for heavier kinds of metal and damn near everything else. A Peavey 6505 is a much darker tone from the amp, and I'd assume a VK is a more darker distorted tone. So I'd have to say you can get the same idea of tone, but you will never get their tone with a Peavey.