I got a Boss DS-1 about a year ago, and it stopped turning on and off when I pushed the switch for some unknown reason, so I sent it in to get fixed. Well, the wonderful people at Boss informed me that my pedal was working perfectly, so they sent it back to me, and it arrived in the mail today. So I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly! But now 5 hours later, it's not working again. So I have two questions,

1. Wtf is going on?
2. How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
Quote by stangconv
change the battery

yep, sound advice
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by stangconv
change the battery

*facepalm* I can't believe I didn't think of that! Oh man, I failed. I'll get some tomorrow, and let you know if it works.

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
So... I got some new batteries and it's still not working.

Quote by gibder
check the switch for any dry solder joints.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not quite sure what that is.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by black007hawk2
Bump.

Anybody got any ideas?

You could just have a bad switch or the connection between the board and switch might not be good. Open up the pedal to see if there are any bad solder joints. Good ones look like little volcanoes and are shiny. Bad ones might be broken or mishapen or dull.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You could just have a bad switch or the connection between the board and switch might not be good. Open up the pedal to see if there are any bad solder joints. Good ones look like little volcanoes and are shiny. Bad ones might be broken or mishapen or dull.

I checked the solder joints and the board/switch connection, and they both look good. However, I did notice some scratching on the underside of the circuit board, the green stuff got scratched off, but the metal underneath looks intact.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
What's with boss pedals failing so much?
Atleast their distortions...

Just make sure to run through everything good. Check solder joints, battery connection, try it with an adapter, stuff like that.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by black007hawk2
I checked the solder joints and the board/switch connection, and they both look good. However, I did notice some scratching on the underside of the circuit board, the green stuff got scratched off, but the metal underneath looks intact.

The green stuff is solder mask. They put it on the board so they can solder it in a wave soldering machine. It will work just fine with the solder mask scratched up. It could have happened during manufacturing, or perhaps someone scratched it off to work on it at some point.

If there was a power problem then you probably wouldn't hear anything in bypass since Boss pedals are buffered. Sounds like you've got a flaky switch, but there are other possibilities, as well.

There's a limit to what you can troubleshoot with your eyes only. If you can't track it down then take it to a tech for service.