semester is coming to and end and i have a final assignment for philosophy

we have to make some kind of review/essay of a book

the point is, the book doesn't need to be completely about philosophy but it needs to have philosophical content

right now i've only tought of "the flowers of evil" by charles baudelaire

any other suggestions?

(it doesn't matters if it's poetry, novel or anything else)

thanks in advance
the stranger by albert camus. its an existential book, so if you don't like that, then nevermind.'

Oh! Siddartha by Herman Hesse. its filled with so many thought provoking ideas and you'll be sure to love it.

They're both really short books. about, 100 pages or so.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!

It's pretty short. Two books over the course of about 200 pages, take your pick of which one to read.
Warning: Rant

Siddhartha is considered very deep by some and a total sham by others. Both sides of the arguement make sense to me. It's very odd, but worth reading. It could be described about a man who simply wants to experience everything he possibly can and at the end of the story has a three page illusionary experience about the nature of the universe.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a good bet. I gaurantee you that no one else in your class will have read it, or possibly even heard of it (unless you happen to be in college and taking classes with cultured inidividuals, which in today's society is unlikely, not to say that I'm cultured, I just read a lot). It is about blatant hedonism, and no other book so clearly shows it's authros opinions. It drags a little through the middle, but is the most fascinating book I've ever read, which is no small feat. It is a fairly long book though.

The best recomendation I can give is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Unfortuantly it has been awhile since I've read it and cannot say much about it other than it's about a sheepherder who decides he wants to find a wonderful treasure. The theme of this book is something along the lines of 'The secret of life is to fall down seven times and stand up 8."

Lastly you could read "The Average American Male" which is not deep at all, at least not until the very end and hardly then, but is instead really funny. It gives a completely accurate description of the average american males thought process with the exception of the fact that his sex drive is ten times that of mine and most males i know. The depth in this book is that during relationships all women eventually turn into the same person. This would be a good read if you're bitter about previous relationships.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Last edited by eviledge87 at May 22, 2008,
@ two above posts. Thank you kind sirs for reading material. :]
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Nausea by Sartre is alright. It's pretty deep but kind of dry to read. Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche and The Stranger as previously recommended are good too.
i was going to mention nietzsche, but i was going to say Beyond Good and Evil, or the Case of Wagner.

Nietzsche is my homeboy.

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Fight Club it has extremely philosophical material.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by eviledge87
Siddhartha is considered very deep by some and a total sham by others. Both sides of the arguement make sense to me. It's very odd, but worth reading, but it is not very deep. It could be described about a man who simply wants to experience everything he possibly can and at the end of the story has a three page illusionary experience about the nature of the universe.
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a good bet. I gaurantee you that no one else in your class will have read it, or possibly even heard of it (unless you happen to be in college and taking classes with cultured inidividuals, which in today's society is unlikely, not to say that I'm cultured, I just read a lot). It is about blatant hedonism, and no other book so clearly shows it's authros opinions. It drags a little through the middle, but is the most fascinating book I've ever read, which is no small feat.

two of my friends have read it... one of them said it sucks the other one loved it...

i've already considered siddharta, but too many people on my class is doing it

@TheJManSays:

i was considering "thus spoke zarathustra" (i've already read it) but it seems like too much for that work,

i'll consider both you suggested
what does anybody think about "being and time" by martin heidegger?

i've only read some small bits of it, never got deeply into it
Quote by tayroar
Fight Club it has extremely philosophical material.

: O!!!

fight club is life!

palahniuk is life, actually. seriously, you could get away with that.
do a palahniuk book!! DO IT!

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Quote by lucky69
: O!!!

fight club is life!

palahniuk is life, actually. seriously, you could get away with that.
do a palahniuk book!! DO IT!

Yeah also, Survivor or Choke or Invisible Monsters all pretty philosophical. Fight Club was the philosophical book most didn't get from seeing the movie I can catch the stuff but the majority of people watching it were like. VIOLENCE and didn't catch it all.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Alice in wonderland

A lot of stuff about the philosophy of mathematics in there. As well as empiricism, epistemology etc etc.

Great book.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Do you want short novels to read? Then siddartha and the stranger are both great bets, you cold also look at Heart of Darkness or Old man and the Sea--these are all novels everyone should read anyway , and happen to be very short-- Personally if you are already thinking about Les Fleurs du mal, I'd go for it, great set of stuff, you might also look into a little novela called Against Nature if you want to see the kind of ideas that come out of Baudelaire's literary impact. It's about Ennui eventually leading to aesceticism--hey kind of a reverse of Siddartha.

If you ask me, using any Nietzsche in a philosophy class is going to get you in over your head, if you were a professor wouldn't you go hard on the cocky little twerp that tried to bring that in? I'd straight up avoid that.
Quote by AuroraBorealis
Try this

I have it actually, and it IS a wonderful book. I'd totally recommend it, cause it has changed me a lot. I havent even finished it yet. I think it's also the kind of book that when you've read it, you can read it again and find out so much more wisdom from it.