i currently have:

MARSHALL 4x10 450(300RMS) watt combo amp - MB4410
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MB4410

ESP ltd b-50 bass (4string)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B50-Bass?sku=512723

ZOOM B2 multi-effects
http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.ZOM-B2

i am now on a great quest to purchase a new bass. i am unsure of whether to get a 5, or stick with a 4. my price range is under $1000 Canadian, although id perfer it to be in the 400 -700$ range.

my influences and music i play range from southern to hardcore to metal to punk to country to whatever.

some bands i play are

-pennywise, rancid, sum 41, blink 182, old afi and old antiflag, death by stereo, authority zero, offspring
-maylene and the sons of disaster, holly springs disaster, everytime i die
-pantera, metallica, slayer, acdc, black sabbath, iron maiden
-august burns red, underoath, haste the day, killswitch engage, devil wears prada, architechs, children of bodom, all that remains, as i lay dying, suicide silence, bring me the horizon, cancer bats etc
-redhott chilli peppers (i play very little slap) rise agasint, nickleback, 3 doros down ( mainstreamish) once in a while
-etc

basicaallly i play everything, although my main focus woudl probably be the metal/hardcore/metalcore (AND punk, although my band does not play this stuff lol) stuff similar to august burns red and devil wears prada, due to my band playing thsi style of music.

i need a bass that can do all this lol. i am thinking probably a 5 string, but have no diea what to get. i usually play with a pick, and might get a 1x15 extension cab. any help finidng a bass would be great. thank you.

also: what do you guys htink of my rig? thanks a ton.
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
Last edited by markr17 at May 22, 2008,
I'm not in to the metal/hardcore genre so I don't know how well it would work for that but a fender highway one p bass would suit the other styles you play well I think.
look into a fender precision bass for that awesome punk tone, as most of the punk bands you listed use a p-bass.

as for metal, esp and ibanez are pretty popular, as they provide a deep growl tone..
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Keep in mind that the Marshall is 300W as-is, 450W with another 4 ohm cab. Also, it's $850. That's way too good an amp to pair with a $200 ESP. Scale down/Carvin your amp and get a nicer bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
jaz for hardcore/meta/metalcore? Nah. Take a look at some Ibanez SR or SRX series basses.

That bridge pup can nail the bite and vintage growl for hXc but in the end, it doesnt really matter cause on the record, you'll be so low down in the mix.

About the TS's rig - im not a big fan of Marshall SS Bass stuff, but its alright. I used to play the college's Marshall BassState, was okay, not my cuppa tho.

Their tube amps are interesting, 400W all tube, huge sound, you get the feeling that its an amp built from the castors up to be a metalhead's penis extension so that the bassist can feel right in place with the guitarists, all tube, full stacks.

Never played your bass so I cant really comment.

I've played other pedals in the zoom range and they seem pretty good value for money. You shouldn't expect mircacles from them but it's nice to experiment with and are a lot of fun!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
That bridge pup can nail the bite and vintage growl for hXc but in the end, it doesnt really matter cause on the record, you'll be so low down in the mix.

Yay for metal bass stereotyping

A jazz may suffice for hXc, but I do feel that for straight up metal, the jazz bass is lacking.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yay for metal bass stereotyping

A jazz may suffice for hXc, but I do feel that for straight up metal, the jazz bass is lacking.

Stereotyping ftw, without it, how would we know who's gonna be the next president, i mean, noones gonna vote for a black guy >_> <_< Obama steals chickens!

You're probably right that an Ibanez will be better for metal "out-of-the-box", with soapbar pickups and more modern sound but I think that the feel of a fender with a few modifications (just new pups really), and you'll have a killer metal bass.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
so ill check outt he highway1bass. how about the ibanez? ive always liekd a lot of those. which fot hem would you s\recommend?
PTARMIGAN DUNE?