I could be in the wrong forum here, not sure how "advanced" the question is, although it can definitely be made more advanced.

background...playing for 1-2 years, decent enough, but I really want to improve my soloing. I of course know all the modes pretty well, pentatonic and blues scale also, so the scales themselves aren't the problems.

what I was wanting to know is a list of essential type riffs that are cool...shorter type stuff, so a technique like the intro to Chuck Berry's "Johnny Be Goode", which you can transer to another note counts as a little riff.

I'm basically trying to assemble a bunch of really cool little licks that I can learn and incorporate into my soloing to make it better. If there's a massive thread on this already, just tell me, but I DID use the search function, didn't find anything there.

so I've been looking through some old GNR songs (big Slash fan), and came up with some pretty stock short riff/timing things...

drumming hphphphphphphphph something like a 5h7p5h7p5h7p5h7p

bending up a note, then release and pull off, i.e. 10b12r10p8

the slide down or up the scale, also can be picked, 1/3/5/7/8/10/12/13

a quick hammer pull off 12h15p12, pick a note on a higher or lower string. something like 7b8r7---10 would fit into the rhythm scheme too.

coming up through cycling...7-8p7-11p7-8-11-12s14-11-12

these are of course fairly simplistic, and I was wondering what riffs you guys especially enjoyed, that can be very useful in soloing.
You say you know the modes well, but many people don't really understand them when they think they do; are you sure that you DO have a firm understanding?
Quote by :-D
You say you know the modes well, but many people don't really understand them when they think they do; are you sure that you DO have a firm understanding?

i know what it is...i know the differences. i know how to play in the same position and play two different modes. i know this kind of stuff, not necessarily particularly adept at it, but I've got a decent understanding.

I guess I think what I'm looking for in this thread is rhythm that I can transfer to different parts of the fretboard.
Quote by eliterun
i know what it is...i know the differences. i know how to play in the same position and play two different modes. i know this kind of stuff, not necessarily particularly adept at it, but I've got a decent understanding.

Okay, just a little test then: if I'm playing over a static C major chord and play this line in this order: F G A B C D E, what mode did I play?
The intro riff to "Brush With the Blues" by Jeff Beck is a good riff to start a solo into a pentatonic scale. I would recommend learning and fully understanding the CAGED system helped me quite a bit.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by eliterun
Lydian.
Hooked line a sinker. Your a bad person Mr Smiley, next time DONT chew the noobs.

The correct answer was "ionian." The harmonic content (chords) make the mode.

And search through MT, somewhere theres a thread called the "lick library" or "lick repository" or something like that
this is an awesome lick is use in a lot of rock
--------------------------------------------[B](10)[/B]------------------
B------7-----------------7-------------[B]10(12)---(12)10--7--10--8(9)[/B]
G-7--9---7---------7--9----7---------------------------------------
D----------9--7--9------------9--7--9--7---------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------

the others one i tell you how to do them im too lazy to tab them

put your 1st finger on the 5 fret of the 1st string on the second string or b string bend 8 and repeat

the other one is do full bend on the 5 fret of the 3rd string then hit the 3 fret on the b string and 3 fret on the 1st string and repeat this is a very cliche rock lick is use alo-t but still sounds awesome

5h8p5 the hit 8 on the next string and repeat

hope those help
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash