I've always wanted to play bass and recently I decided to do myself a favour. I went out and bought a starter pack and havent put my bass down since!!

However, there is one thing that bothers me. When given the selection between a 34" bass or a 45" bass, I chose the latter. I assumed that the 34" was for children and that I should get the full size (I'm 21).

Is learning on a larger bass going to hinder me? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a larger bass, if there are any?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I think one is the length of the neck and the other is the whole thing... I'm not sure though.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
^That makes the most sense.

34" scale is the standard scale (i.e. string) length of an electric bass.

There do not exist 45" scale basses. Period. Uprights are typically 42" scale. There are not electric basses with 3" longer scale than upright.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yeah 45'' scale would be ridiculously huge that's got to be overall body length, or some sort of mistake.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Fair enough, that does make sense. Now that I think of it, it was a pretty silly question, lol.

Thanks guys
Quote by thefitz
^That makes the most sense.

34" scale is the standard scale (i.e. string) length of an electric bass.

There do not exist 45" scale basses. Period. Uprights are typically 42" scale. There are not electric basses with 3" longer scale than upright.

This.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
The only other common Scale Length is 35" which is often used on 5 Strings to keep the Low B taught, which makes me wonder why my Stinger is only 34" because that B is floppy as hell
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Scale length will not decrease the flop of a B string. The note B is at 30Hz. It'll be as flappy on a 34" scale instrument as it would be on our imaginary 45" scale instrument.

Scale length increases string tension a bit using the same gauge, but that doesn't change the fact that the string jiggles 30 times in a second.

Take the 35" scale Dark Lord, with a .175 F# string. That string is quite taut. However, when playing it, it's super bouncy, almost like a trampoline. Very strange feeling. Like imagine something that feels like concrete but bounces like rubber.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..