so I'm a n00b.

that's the first step to recovery, knowing you have a problem.

I've never played in a band.

Now I'm trying to organize a band, and I've got questions about chemistry and such. when you first get a band together do you really sit down and just jam? or pre-plan songs to work on and such? I've called around and basically I live in an area small enough where I'm happy to get any bassist, I don't care whether he's good or bad.

so then should the first order of business be what type of music we'll play?

so with questions like this about the whole muck of starting a band...is it mostly just a chemistry thing that comes with time?

help a n00b out.

reply to this thread.
Having been in few bands, I found that playing a cover breaks the ice nicely. That way you can start playing music right away, as there is going to be some tension among strangers. You also know what bands they like.

If no one knows anything (or if 1 person doesn't) just make up an easy riff and get the drummer going. The bassist (if you can find one these days) should jump in.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm in a pos band with two friends. But before then it was just me being stupid on Guitar Pro. My friend heard it and she liked it so the band started. We found some one else who liked that style of music.
We usually set out to play certain pieces of music(that may only be because we all suck, but I could be wrong)
With us, since we all liked playing a certain kind of music, we went with that from the start. So picking the genre would probably be a good place to start.
Chemistry will come with time, but some people, no matter how much time and compromise, will never get along.
Quote by eliterun
so I'm a n00b.

that's the first step to recovery, knowing you have a problem.

I've never played in a band.

Now I'm trying to organize a band, and I've got questions about chemistry and such. when you first get a band together do you really sit down and just jam? or pre-plan songs to work on and such? I've called around and basically I live in an area small enough where I'm happy to get any bassist, I don't care whether he's good or bad.

so then should the first order of business be what type of music we'll play?

so with questions like this about the whole muck of starting a band...is it mostly just a chemistry thing that comes with time?

help a n00b out.

reply to this thread.

I think generaly, most bands start off by guys getting together, having a jam, feeling each other out, getting familiar with each other's styles before deciding on which direction the band is naturaly going.

Yes, I'd say it's a chemistry thing that comes with time. The main thing to make sure of is that you all initially get along together and that you all get a measure of enjoyment out of what you do.
With this as a foundation and with a little hard work and perseverance, you should eventualy have a pretty decent band.
There's no right or wrong way to do it.

Personally, if I was starting a new band today, I'd have each member select a cover song and have the rest of the band learn it. That helps break the ice and also helps the other members get a feel for the style/genre of music that each member likes.

Following that I'd probably have a jam session or write a song together.