I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a bit less than a year now, and I want to get an electric guitar. I don't have the most extravagant budget, so I was trying to decide between these 2 guitars. I want to be able to play metal (power chords, lead playing, improvising, shredding etc), but I also want to play a variety of other things. My favorite bands are Opeth, Radiohead, Muse, and Metallica. Which one do you think would better suit my needs?

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2:
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1400

Ibanez GSZ 120 SV:
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2621
It's a horse a piece, I've owned a Special 2 and it actually wasn't too bad.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
^ So after a year of playing and deciding upon playing metal, we should all spend $2500 on an ESP? Right, that makes perfect sense.

To the threadstarter, I wouldn't really recommend the Epiphone. I don't think it'd really cut a metal tone to be honest. As for that Ibanez, it should serve your purpose better. According to that site the body is mahogany, and even if it's a lower grade of mahogany, it will still deliver a fat, punchy tone - or at least more then that of the Epiphone's deliverance. Although its scale length should feel relatively similar to your acoustic and so will be much easier to get used to.

However, you should know that you'll have to try out both guitars and decide which is more accustomed to you - the one that feels right. Most beginner and entry level guitars are fairly similar, and so the quality will be smiliar, also. Just play those two, and perhaps a couple others, and decide which feels best.
i do own an epiphone les paul special II ...it's not a bad guitar especially for starting out. Can't comment on the ibanez ....never played them ...but along with paying attention to the wood, pay special attention to the pickups ... and juckfush is rite, best way to judge either of them is to try them both out and then make up ur mind...gud luck!!!
Quote by juckfush
^ So after a year of playing and deciding upon playing metal, we should all spend $2500 on an ESP? Right, that makes perfect sense.

To the threadstarter, I wouldn't really recommend the Epiphone. I don't think it'd really cut a metal tone to be honest. As for that Ibanez, it should serve your purpose better. According to that site the body is mahogany, and even if it's a lower grade of mahogany, it will still deliver a fat, punchy tone - or at least more then that of the Epiphone's deliverance. Although its scale length should feel relatively similar to your acoustic and so will be much easier to get used to.

However, you should know that you'll have to try out both guitars and decide which is more accustomed to you - the one that feels right. Most beginner and entry level guitars are fairly similar, and so the quality will be smiliar, also. Just play those two, and perhaps a couple others, and decide which feels best.

A lot of people on UG refer to LTDs as ESPs so maybe thats what he was talking about?... I dunno.

Look into getting an LTD though... It will do you a lot more good than an Epiphone.
both the guitars that he mentioned are in the 150$-200$ range ...i don't know of any good ESP that would come for that price....even an LTD....
Maybe a Dean Vendetta or something?
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal