Hey I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now. Barring I found was near impossible. Even when it became comfortable for my hand to hold the position the second string just wouldn't work.

Today I tried something out of the blue. I slid the guitar to the right, so my face and left arm are further up on the fretboard. I find this WAYYYY easier to play a lot of chords where previously, my hand would be touching the high e string, and find it wayyyy wayyy easier to bar.

My question is, am I just holding the guitar more properly now? It looked fine before. Or am I "cheating" and is this gonna make playing some stuff harder - ie a shortcut thats gonna bite me in the ass. I just want some advice before I continue to get used to changing the position I hold the guitar. Thanks!
I'm having trouble imagining how you're holding it now. I guess I didn't understand your description though. There's no real way to "cheat" at guitar, either it's a shortcut that will make things more difficult later (I have one of these, I never played ith my pinky and now I'm in trouble when it comes to more advenced things), or maybe you've just found a more comfortable and innovative way of doing it, in which case, good for you!

Pictures might help, too.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
It's not cheating, whatever's comfortable works; pictures would be good but I think I get what you're saying.

Spoony_Bard: Is that name a reference to Final Fantasy II? As it happens, I'm currently playing it and about to reach that line.
If you're picking in the middle of the fretboard, it definitely changes the tone, and that isn't going to work for everything. As for barring, Hendrix/ SRV used their thumb for the bar chords with roots on the low E. I think it's way easier, so I do that.
Well...is it still sitting with the curve of the body over your thigh? If it is then I don't see it as a problem. You may be swinging your leg further out to reach this position, however I would think that if it is so much easier now you can slowly move it back to normal position as your hand strength improves (assuming that your original positioning was correct). If I understand your explanation properly, and I think I do, try having the guitar between the two positions you have used, but slide your elbow out a little more on your fretting hand so that it meets the neck at, more or less of, a 90 degree angle. This should give you better grip of the instrument.
Quote by :-D
It's not cheating, whatever's comfortable works; pictures would be good but I think I get what you're saying.

Spoony_Bard: Is that name a reference to Final Fantasy II? As it happens, I'm currently playing it and about to reach that line.

Haha, yup. Never played the game though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
So you've basically shifted the guitar position further to the right to let you get to the frets easier right? There's nothing wrong with changing your position so it's more comfortable as long as you aren't getting pain when you play (and risking permanent damage).

If you can still play over the soundhole/pickups then tone shouldn't be affected just like qstionauthority said. My thumbs aren't flexible enough to fret the E on barre chords and I use the side of my finger rather than the flat (if you get what I mean). If you keep practicing them they'll get easier and if you're still worried about the position just move it gradually as they get easier to play.

Not to get too personal mate but if you're still growing then eventually you'll find it easier when your arms get longer.
guitars aren't like games and sports, there's no real rules as to how you play it. so whatever's comfortable for you will do.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
i would think whatever is comfortable would be good. as long as you are still strumming/picking over the soundhole, i think it should be fine.
Alright thanks a lot guys! Yes, after I shift it a bit, it actually feels like there is less tension in my arm. I tried to compromise based on what some of you said, I'm now holding it somewhere in between and it seems to be good enough.

Quote by bellerophon

Not to get too personal mate but if you're still growing then eventually you'll find it easier when your arms get longer.

Haha, I wish I can still grow. I'm 23. I'll let you know if my arms suddenly grow from playing guitar though

Sample246 : I like this one a lot too : http://www.facebook.com/share_redirect.php?h=e5af0beee716db027325bcf80bbd0dd7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAbndgwfG22k&sid=16599561594
Last edited by EdreesesPieces at May 22, 2008,