I'm going to buy a new guitar and my current decision is the ESP LTD H-1001 deluxe http://espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-h.html Any thoughts about this guitar? Should I buy it with EMGs or Duncans? I'm currently using the EMG HZ passive ones, wich sound pretty OK for my ears, but i have never tried the Duncan custom-5's. I play mostly metalcore/hardcore stuff with ****loads of breakdowns.

Cheers from Finland!
I havn't tried it, but from looking at the spec, and with experience of other ESP/LTD's, it looks like a pretty decent guitar. Personally, and for that style, I would pick the one with the EMG's. You say you've tried passive EMG's? These are active ones so will probably give a different response/sound than the passive ones.

I'd recomend trying both types and picking the one you think sounds best both clean and distorted/overdriven.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
The binding kills it for me...

I'm a fan of passives, so I'd almost always lean towards the Duncans. They've been making pickups since "EMG" only stood for "Electro-Mechanical Gizmo".
Pssives all the way

Beautiful Guitar btw

I use SD'd, and i play the same style as you, they work like gold
Pssives all the way

Beautiful Guitar btw

I use SD'd, and i play the same style as you, they work like gold
a friend of mine uses one in a metalcore band
http://www.myspace.com/acausetounite

he uses the one with emg's
i dont really dig that style of hardcore, but in my opinion the one with emg's runs out of headroom.
i'd go passives. then you get rid of the battery changing issue.
Quote by xgregoryx
a friend of mine uses one in a metalcore band
http://www.myspace.com/acausetounite

he uses the one with emg's
i dont really dig that style of hardcore, but in my opinion the one with emg's runs out of headroom.
i'd go passives. then you get rid of the battery changing issue.

i agree with the headroom part, and the duncans part, because duncans are amazing.

but not the battery changing part. each 9v gets something like 3000 hours of life in the active pickups. you don't really need to worry about it.
_______
|||||||||||||||
do it.

absolutely solid guitar, sounds awesome, even with all the binding and EMG's.

looks better than the pics on the site, the binding's not all that tacky, really.
------

Shwiggity.
I have the h-1000 with duncans. It's SUPER sweet. You'll love the guitar btw, super fast and plays extremely well. Other guitar manufactures would charge over $1000 for that setup. The tuners are the nicest you can buy, the graphite nut and saddles really help and those duncans can produce one hell of a monster tone. The only bad thing is it is not neck through! It's a beautiful guitar. Good luck with it! GET THE DUNCANS THEY SOUND AMAZING AND DO CLEANS BETTER THAN EMG's.

oh wait damn. They got rid of the amazing spertzel tuners! IT used to a JB not a custom 5 too! Oh well great guitar never the less just not as good as the 1000 I think. The tuners really helped it along with the gold.....
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at May 22, 2008,
it will be cheaper in the long run to go passives
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
If you're wanting metalcore, go for the EMGs.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
now now the duncans can easily do metalcore too. I play metalcore on my duncans. Either way it's a good choice but the duncans are more versatile and have lower outputs.
any pickup can "do" metal core (oh boy) but Emg's just have the tight punch, especially in this guitar (from experience) that add to the palm muting and synchronized breakdowns.

EMG FTW
------

Shwiggity.
You could also go for Duncan Blackouts, which are somewhere in between EMG's and Passives (in other words, more organic sounding, but still have the output-or more- that EMG's actives have). Blackouts are active Duncans, if you didn't know.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd like to clarify that I wasn't implying that Duncans can't do metalcore. Typically though for that genre you're looking at an active pickup into at least one overdrive pedal into a high gain modern amp. Duncan Blackouts would also work. I'm not an EMG fan I'm just making a recommendation based on the original post.

For the people who are already offended, because you're favorite metalcore band/guitarist doesn't use EMGs, please note that I said typically. Read: usually, on average, etc.

EDIT: for typos and clarification
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at May 22, 2008,