im thinking of making a bridge, and ive pretty much got the idea down now, it seems quite obvious of the best way to do it - but the saddles (altho makeable) are quite a difficult thing to sort properly, so i was wondering, just how bad would the guitar sound if totally wrongly intonated
The guitar may "sound" fine, but bad intonation is like nails on a chalk board for me.

You should at least compensate your design somewhat like PRS does with their non-adjustable tail-piece/bridges.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Intonate it at the nut? I believe you can get nuts that do that right?

That or make this bridge as your prototype and build upon it til you can intonate with it.
Quote by CobenBlack
i'll have a look into that - is there an example that anyone knows of where a guitar that is intoned is compared with one that isn't?
I would just straighten out all of the saddles on one of your guitars. Even if you pick the average mid-point of your saddles as they are, the difference is going to be apparent instantly. Good intonation is very, VERY important.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Intonate it at the nut? I believe you can get nuts that do that right?
There are compensated nuts (Earvana) but nothing I know of will allow intonation to be done at the nut.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but I can only imagine it being WAY more trouble that its worth.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"