Well heres my situation.I've been in and out of work for the past year or so,and unemplyed since the beggining of the year.I'm pretty much just sick and tireds of moving from one meger ass job to another.
So my goal,if possible,is to decide on a career that I would enjoy and would love to do for the rest of my life.I',hopefully,looking to find something to where I'd only have to attend school for 2-4 years,or even less(probably not likely),to where I'd be able to make ATLEAST 50K a year,as I plan on being the main providor for my future family(my fiance,soon to be wife,and 4 kids I would like to have,and maybe even more.)
I come from a family of 5 kids and 2 parent,that for the majority of my life,hs gotten by on my moms welfare,and whenever my pops was working construction(which I'm sure most of you know isn't necessarily consistant work)and I would really like it if I wouldn't have to put my family through the same situation.

I basically looking for something that has to do with working on,or with cars or computers.I'm also open to any other suggestions,as I hjave also looked at maybe being a x-ray tech.I apreciate any input from you guys.

So yeah,help me,help my self to stop being a slacker.

EDIT:Also,if it makes a difference,I live in southern california and would prefer to stay within the state or maybe oregon.
Proud Member Of The Leah Dizon Fan Club
Last edited by STOJDub at May 22, 2008,
Go do something you want..? Why do you need to ask UG for help?
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
You could be the Ultimate Guitarist!

... no, wait, nvm. Sorry.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Computer engineer?

Get yourself into a computer school thing and get qualification themn become a computer engineer?

there big nowadays.
Quote by brandon369852
Go do something you want..? Why do you need to ask UG for help?

Don't really NEED to ask.I would just like some input from people other than the drugies I know that are happy with there $9p/h jobs.
Doing something I like,neccisarily isn't an option,as if I don't make enough money to support the family I plan on having,then that pretty much makes it a useless career now doesn't it?

I apreciate the helpfullness so far.I forseen and expected most the smart-asses.Even so,keep it comeing,good or bad.

Best one I've seen so far is go-go dancer.i've also considered chip and dales,even though I don't think they employ lanky pale strippers.
I can tell you know anyone who tells you a role is non-active military or civilian is wrong and is either trying to recruit you or ignorant of the facts.

but military does sound a good career, it will turn your life around if you can put up with being treated like a twat for a year or two
Firefighter? It takes about 2 years to become a firefighter, plus ladies love them.

Criminal Justice is also an easy choice in terms of school.
Quote by STOJDub
Don't really NEED to ask.I would just like some input from people other than the drugies I know that are happy with there $9p/h jobs.
Doing something I like,neccisarily isn't an option,as if I don't make enough money to support the family I plan on having,then that pretty much makes it a useless career now doesn't it?

Don't plan your future career prospects around your family prospects. You're young, live a bit before you think about family. Kids are a lot more expensive than you seem to think, if you feel that 50k will cover at least 4 of them. My rents earn 60k equivalent, and tha barely covers 3 kids.
Banker,Engineer...........................Ultimate User
Recommend me any good post-hardcore band
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't plan your future career prospects around your family prospects. You're young, live a bit before you think about family. Kids are a lot more expensive than you seem to think, if you feel that 50k will cover at least 4 of them. My rents earn 60k equivalent, and tha barely covers 3 kids.

Well I'm sure I could,mayb not being cushy,but we wouldget by.I mean,my family lived of what I'd say was about 20k a year,if that,for the majority of my pre-teen and teenage life.
Also I forgot to mention,my fiance does have intentions of going to cullinary arts school.I just wanna make sure that if for some reason she cant work(being pregnant or some other reason)That I would be able to hold **** together for that time period.
Quote by Xeus
+1 on computing

i hear its big bucks these days

IF you can find a job. It's a saturated career field and only getting worse. Mechanics don't get paid dick, though electricians can make good money after completing an apprenticeship program. Work can be inconsistent, but less commonly if you stay out of the union.

Personally, I am in the same boat that you are, TS, (except, I already have the wife and kids that need me to make $50k+/yr) and I am finishing a degree in Business Management. Versatility is key in today's job market.

Here's my advice, as I best see it from my own experience: If you have a passion, pursue it. If you are like me and you do not, pick something you can tolerate (read: don't hate) for 20 years that will feed your family, put a nice roof over their heads, buy them a few things their little hearts desire, and allows you enough time to spend enjoying the family you work so hard to maintain.
Quote by Xeus
+1 on computing

i hear its big bucks these days

Bah, if I were doing what I do now in the 90s I'd be making 6 figures easy.

I recommend IT, but I'm a bit biased. Definitely get a college degree, preferably a bachelors/4 year. Most employers will sort resumes by college education. You'll be lucky if you're considered without it unless you've got decades of experience.

If you have the time/money after that I would recommend either a Microsoft or Cisco certification depending on what you want to do, but if you're smart you can get your employer to pay for that once you land a job.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
UG is not a career adviser. If you want to stop being a slacker, start now by finding a career adviser and talking to them.

This.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
UG is not a career adviser. If you want to stop being a slacker, start now by finding a career adviser and talking to them.

He's asking the pit. I think he did it partially for teh lulz.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Rox0r713
IF you can find a job. It's a saturated career field and only getting worse. Mechanics don't get paid dick, though electricians can make good money after completing an apprenticeship program. Work can be inconsistent, but less commonly if you stay out of the union.

Personally, I am in the same boat that you are, TS, (except, I already have the wife and kids that need me to make $50k+/yr) and I am finishing a degree in Business Management. Versatility is key in today's job market.

Here's my advice, as I best see it from my own experience: If you have a passion, pursue it. If you are like me and you do not, pick something you can tolerate (read: don't hate) for 20 years that will feed your family, put a nice roof over their heads, buy them a few things their little hearts desire, and allows you enough time to spend enjoying the family you work so hard to maintain.

Yeah,the whole reason I don't wanna be a mechanic anymore was for the fact that I've been seeing they do get paid jack squat,and thats if you can even find a job.
I had thought on something to do with buisness,as my fiance(when done with school)would like to open a special occasion bakery(wedding cakes,and things of the sort)my only wory with that is how often small buinesses go under so fast.

I'd love to go talk to a career advisor,but since my car was totalled back in January,I really don't have a way around town as of now.

I'm just fishin ideas,****,I've even considered trying to play arena football,which would still probably require me to go to collage and play there first.I appreciate the positive feedback guys.
Do not join the military, or any goverment job if one of your requisites is good pay. 50k is top brass ****.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Become a professional Butt-Wiper

Good pay there
██████████████████████████████
work at a guitar center and make it ur goal to be the first useful employe there
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
i would say if you want a good job you should definitely go into the trades. lots of people look at it as if it's nothing but if you're interested in it then it can be fun and a plumber on average makes as much as a doctor. if you don't want much schooling trades is nice