Hey guys, just a quick question for you,

I currently have a Samson g TRACK CONDENSOR MIC, the one with the built in audio interface which is usb to my macbook. Now what i am confused about is do you record music or vocals first? common sense tells me its obviously music but i need to sing along as i play the song on the guitar as it helps me keep the tune or i just lose it. now if im recording my guitar plugged into the microphone as a seperate line in, it works fine but how do i go about recording an instrument like my martin acoustic that has no jack plug, its just acoustic.

Wondering if i could get some advice. thanks
Quote by Khann
Stick the microphone infront of the guitar?

more likely the amplifier mate unless its acoustic lol
Gear:
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Marshall 4x12 Cab

Gibson SG Standard + Bare KnucklePickups - Warpigs
Gould Les Paul + BKP's - Crawlers
See Through Acrylic Strat

Zakk Wylda Wah
Original Crybaby
Boss Flanger
Boss Phase Shifter
Quote by Tim_Miles
how do i go about recording an instrument like my martin acoustic that has no jack plug, its just acoustic.

Quote by splinter26
more likely the amplifier mate unless its acoustic lol

Do you feel silly now?
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Khann
Stick the microphone infront of the guitar?

if your playing acoustic this isn't the best way to record. the position for the best sound is right next to the hole.
well ill be playing acoustic yeah, the g track lets you plug the electric guitar directly into the mic so it will record onto the pc because it has a built in audio interface but as my acoustic is not an electro its just an acoustic i have know idea how to record to get the best sound, bearing in my what i said about needing to sing with it only recording the guitar and not my voice. this is where im confused.
Most acoustic artists record with microphones.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
My suggestion is to do a guide track doing both at the same time into one mic, then replace them one by one. This way you have both guitar and vox to play along to.

It is also a good exercise in mic technique and vocal control, because it teaches you to balance your own vocals in a mix live.