I am primarily a guitarist but I really want to learn bass not only because it is an awesome instrument, but because I think it will help my guitar playing immensely. I talked my local shop into letting me trade in my acoustic for $250 store credit. That would allow me to get a squier vintage modified j-bass for my acousic plus a couple bucks. Problem is that funds are tight and I can't afford to get a bass amp at this time. I have an old fender frontman 25r guitar amp that I never use and can't sell. I know you risk blowing the speaker out if you use a guitar amp, but if I play quietly, is it safe until I can afford a bass amp later in the summer?

The other option is to sell my main guitar amp and use the bass amp to practice guitar and bass although I really don't want to do that because I enjoy the all tube sound of my valveking. Any input is appreciated!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
I dont think its a problem. My bassist used to come over to my house and play through a Line 6 Spider or my little Marshall MG practice amp. We never had any problems.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

Should be fine. It won't sound as good, but it'll be fine.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
You'll blow the speaker
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You'll blow the speaker

You just need to look at this guys sig to see he's right.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I realize that it isn't good for the speaker. If I didn't know that, I wouldn't be posting. I am simply wondering if since this amp is pretty much dead to me anyways and if I play on super low volumes (maybe even use headphones most of the time) if I will blow the amp right away? I need something to keep me entertained for probably 2 months until summer pay checks start rolling in and I can really buy a nice bass amp.
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
For the time being, yes, but don't expect it to last too long.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
It shouldn't blow for a while but I reckon in a few months of use it will go. Its not gonna be an instant thing as damage never really is instant unless you through something out a window or something. But I will say it should be okay providing you don't have much love for the amp and are only going to be using it for a little while.
with months of constant, loud use you might do some damage, but i used a modeler for bass casually for months (at sensible volumes) with no damage
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.