Hey guys. I have a question for you guys. I am primarily an electric guitarist. I am hitting a point where I am getting a bit disillusioned with gear acquisition and the not so simple aspects of electric guitar. I am still a relative beginner. I have been thinking about starting over so to say by buying a somewhat cheap (~$350) classical guitar and learning on that for quite awhile before jumping back into electric again. I figure a classical would allow me to have a somewhat fast action guitar and yet keep things basic.

I practice anywhere from 1-4 hours daily (although most days are 2 hours or more) and take a half hour lesson once a week. Am I crazy to think that starting over with the basics will be best? Any advice is appreciated!
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
It depends what your targets are, what do you want to achieve?

EDIT: whats a fast action guitar?
The beginning is always a good place to start, and practice makes perfect, but you don't need to switch to a classical guitar unless you're into it.

You can and should apply the basics to any instrument.

Perhaps you should try playing your electric with no effects, and work on technique. Playing classical style will not necessarily improve your electric technique. It may however expand your chord and scale knowledge.
Maybe devote some practice time to theory if you don't already know it.
Or take up a new instrument, drums or piano?
If you don't practice with other people try to find someone that you can jam with, music's fun but 100x better with other people (and beer )
theres nothing wrong with starting with acoustic and then progressing to electric playing but the main thing is you play and practice the music you enjoy and have fun playing it. Otherwise you wont be inspired and you wont get as much out of the hours of practice you put in.

You dont have to switch to classical guitar because you feel u need to start from the beginning. As wastedResource said, you just as well off practicing clean on your electric. If you want to give yourself a workout , put heavier strings on

As well as practicing clean, theres alot to be said for practicing with lots and lots of volume and distortion, cuz you'll learn how to control a loud guitar and keep strings quiet when youre not playing them etc etc

good luck!
You don't necessarily have to "start over". Sure, give yourself a refresher on the basics (not just now, but from time to time), but don't neglect some of the more demanding techniques you'll eventually want to know. Considering how much you practice, I'd say devote 1 - 2 days a week to basics, and use the rest of your time to progress. Most of the techniques used on electric guitar can be transposed pretty handily to acoustic (minus stuff like tapping and pinch harmonics - not to say they can't be done, but they don't sound as good).

Practicing clean on electric is a great way to go. Play it clean before you make it muddy. A standard steel string acoustic will give you more of a workout, but if your end goal is to play electric, then you might as well stick with it. However, if you want to play acoustic because you enjoy it, then by all means, just don't think of it as a means to an end or you won't get as much enjoyment out of it (IMO).

Hope that helps
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play