Hey guys.

I will be receiving my Ibanez S470DXQM (moon blue finish) in a couple of weeks, and I want to do a pickup switch immediately because I have heard that the infinity pickups are not very good.

Couple of questions:

1) I want to get some hot pickups. I want to be able to hit harmonics with ease, including low string.. Which pickups would work for me? People have suggested that I go with DiMarzio. D-Activator, Tone Zone, Evo, Breeds.. all have been suggestions for me, but I don't know which one to go with. Also as you can see in my sig, I use a VOX AD50VT amp.

2) Does anyone know which stock pickups are better - AH1 AH2 (on my Iceman) or INF1 and INF2 on my incoming S470?

3) I have looked at tons of diagrams for pickup soldering/installations but I still haven't found one with pictures, to make life a little bit easier. I plan on doing the soldering myself but it will be my first ever pickup installation so I need to make sure I do it right. Also I'm a little bit nervous about messing up the 5-way selector. I'm still unsure about how to connect the pickups properly, so if there is a link to a pictured tutorial or something I would greatly appreciate it.

Any help on the above would be great.
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
Mkay so:

1. The standard pickups aren't THAT bad, but if you are going to swap them out you would see a massive improvement

2. Depends on your style and what music you want to play, so name a sound you want to get and what bands you want to sound like etc

3. Hmm I'm not sure on that, they will have different qualities so i cant comment on them.

4. If you want to go without a hitch get a professional to do it, maybe you could ask and watch
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
Mkay so:

1. The standard pickups aren't THAT bad, but if you are going to swap them out you would see a massive improvement

2. Depends on your style and what music you want to play, so name a sound you want to get and what bands you want to sound like etc

3. Hmm I'm not sure on that, they will have different qualities so i cant comment on them.

4. If you want to go without a hitch get a professional to do it, maybe you could ask and watch

Well to be honest, I'm all over the place. Mostly heavy stuff, so the cleans aren't really important to me. But I play stuff like Guns N Roses, System, Disturbed, Metallica, Ozzy.. even Pink Floyd. Basically all over the spectrum. But I want to be able to get the Zakk Wylde style harmonics if I have to.

Also, if I install hot pickups.. should I go for a medium output single coil? For the pink floyd/not so heavy rock style. How should I balance my guitar so that I can play heavy if I want to (probably on the bridge pup) and not so hot if I want to.

EDIT: for those who don't know, the s470 is HSH. So I have some space to work with when choosing my pups.

EDIT2: I found a diagram on DiMarzio's site (http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/C.pdf) that I overlooked with a perfect explanation on how to do the wiring for a 5-way selector, so I'm at ease with it now.
Ibanez S470DXQM
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
Last edited by shadow21x at May 22, 2008,
I think you should put a really hot bucker in the bridge, and a more cool bucker in the neck, so you will have a bit of better cleans. also you might want to install push\pull pots for coil splitting the buckers, more versatility and probably better cleans.
strat player forever.
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
I think you should put a really hot bucker in the bridge, and a more cool bucker in the neck, so you will have a bit of better cleans. also you might want to install push\pull pots for coil splitting the buckers, more versatility and probably better cleans.

That's what I was leaning towards.

What about the Single coil though? What should I get to make my guitar as versatile as possible?

and lastly, I still need some suggestions for the 2 H's and 1 S!

but making great progress so far and I appreciate the help, UG.
Ibanez S470DXQM
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
You HAVE to wait until you've got the guitar, you need to play around with it for a while and assess the tone and how it feels. That includes adjusting pickup heights and fiddling with the amps EQ - there's no point going to the expense of changing pickups when all you needed to do was turn a screw or a knob. After that then you're in a position to make an informed decision on whether you need to change the pickups and people can make suitable recommendations.

For example "Well, I've noticed that the neck pickup is a bit full on sounding, it's a little compressed and shreddy sounding. I'd prefer something that's a little more open with maybe a softer attack. The bridge isn't bad either, but it sounds a little flat and I'd like something that's a bit more responsive with a bit more emphasis on the midrange."

You can't make those kind of judgements until you've had the guitar a while, and likewise nobody can really recommend anything until you've formed an opinion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You HAVE to wait until you've got the guitar, you need to play around with it for a while and assess the tone and how it feels. That includes adjusting pickup heights and fiddling with the amps EQ - there's no point going to the expense of changing pickups when all you needed to do was turn a screw or a knob. After that then you're in a position to make an informed decision on whether you need to change the pickups and people can make suitable recommendations.

For example "Well, I've noticed that the neck pickup is a bit full on sounding, it's a little compressed and shreddy sounding. I'd prefer something that's a little more open with maybe a softer attack. The bridge isn't bad either, but it sounds a little flat and I'd like something that's a bit more responsive with a bit more emphasis on the midrange."

You can't make those kind of judgements until you've had the guitar a while, and likewise nobody can really recommend anything until you've formed an opinion.

Fair enough, I guess it won't hurt to play around a bit before making the decision. Thanks for the advice
Ibanez S470DXQM
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
Quote by shadow21x
Fair enough, I guess it won't hurt to play around a bit before making the decision. Thanks for the advice

You're always better off taking a little bit longer to make the right decision, a pickup change isn't exactly major surgery but it's still a hassle and also an expense. If you're going to do it you need to first find out if it needs doing at all, and if it does then you want to get it right first time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com