Ok im righting a song and one of the transitions i have gos like this

Drop C

e-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
b-----------8-7-8-10-8-10-12-10-12------------------------------------
g---9-7-9-------------------------------------------------------------------
d-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some odd reason i cant find out how to harmonize it. Every way i try it comes out sounding nasty. Im no theory buff so its prob something really easy or obvious
Try playing notes that are 3rds, 4ths, or 5ths above it, or a combination of them. if you don't want to use theory, record the lick really slow and just start playing notes over it until you get something that you think sounds good.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Why do you need to harmonise it. If the riff is strong enough alone then have it alone. As it's a transition you're doing just have it without backing and bring the rhythm back in strong when the verse/chorus returns.
To harmonize in fifths (for example) first decide what scale or mode your using. In hard rock and metal that's often aeolian which is also called natural minor. To harmonize each note properly, count five tones up the scale from each note. It's important to count up the scale, don't just play the fifth of each note.
e----------------7-5-7--8-7--8--10--8--10------------------------------
b---8-7-8------8-7-8-10-8-10-12-10-12------------------------------
g---9-7-9-------------------------------------------------------------------
d-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rds in Emin.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

I wouldn't use 5ths - 3rds sound better IMO - - but he's right about staying within the scale.

I used 5ths only as an example. It's the same process for harmonizing using any interval. The simplest way to learn this stuff is Metal Method's Stage Six: http://www.metalmethod.com/guitar-lesson-stage6.htm
Last edited by Axe-me at May 30, 2008,