I'm new to guitar customizing and have never done it before. I'm 13 by the way. I was wondering if people could give me some tips. I know exactly what i want but don't know where/how to go about doing so.

At the moment i have a knock of version of this (to mess about with instead of my gibson.

The only differences being the floating trem is black and the headstock is jackson style on mine.

now onto what i want:

Colour
I want the same finish that i have at the moment (glittery silver) but i wanted it tinted electric blue. Is there a quick way of doing this (painting i meen)? Or a matte white/black

This colour

Bridge
I want this type of bridge. Any tutorials would be really apprecated.

(Invalid img)
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=APEX2 (if you can't see the picture above)

I mainly have the problem that once i take out the previous bridge i will have a massive gap. Is there any way around it.

Pickups

I don't want to change the pickups i just want to change the pickup covers. And would like something either like white EMG's or like what are on the Yamaha RGXA2

Hardware
I will be getting my dad to help me on this. I would like a really cool pickup wiring (not necessarily complicated just something that would confuse the likes of brian may). But with a maximum of two pickup selector switches and 4 guitar knobs (i.e volume, tone etc.)

I would like it to be as cheap as possible so i'm not bothered about quality.
I am in the UK so all parts from here not the USA

Thankyou so much
All help appreciated
I think everything sounds pretty feasible except for the bridge. The amound of wood taken up by the floating trem vs. the tunomatic is really different. Someone else may know a way, but I can't think of one. As for the wiring, I actually wired a cheap strat copy with the Brian May Red Special switching options, so I don't know if you actually wanted to switch the phasing of the pickups or just to choose odd combinations. Either way, I'd recommend using push/pull pots for your volume and tone controls instead of two pickup selector switches.
Last edited by Kentris.5 at May 22, 2008,
- Use the search bar to find the repainting/refinishing threads for the paint.
- Use the search bar for the trem thing, you might need to block off the extra space. (i have no idea about the trem though.)
- You can buy EMG look-alike pickup covers on ebay.

Edit: As for the wiring i'd say coil/tap if possible.
"Here we are, Juggernaut."

/C/R/A/C/K/ my anti-dru...
Last edited by 1_wise_guy at May 22, 2008,
Thanks for the quick replies
Do you have any websites to help me at all (that explain everything in depth).
Thanks
It's not worth it for a knock made of plywood that likely has no trussrod that's made in China. The mods you're putting in are WAY more than the guitar is worth though. You also could not put the pickups in that Yamaha in as they are P90 sized. As said, there is no feasible way to do the TOM on it. Next, for the wiring configuration, here is what I would do:

5 way switch, stacked pots for volume and tone controls. You can't do a lot with the EMGs unless you get 89s, and the singles can't be tapped. EMGs are the most versatile pickups if you want to do crazy mods imo. Uses regular passives with 4 conductor wires. Good ideas, but save for the paint, most of them won't be worth the time and some aren't even easily feasible.
putting a hardtail bridge into a floyd rose is hard. its doable but i dont think its doable when your 13. but hey i started my first guitar mod when i was 13. what you would have to do is cut put a block of wood that fits the space in the tremelo glue it in then let it dry. then you would have to reposition the bridge and drill holes for the bridge. aligning it is a pain because if your off the intonation would be off. check out www.projectguitar.com for some info

id get a trem setting. its a spring that alows u to block the tremelo so it now acts as a hardtail. everything else is totaly doable. for some cheap but quality parts check out www.guitarfetish.com
what do you mean :? im confused lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Now for on board effects,
Ages ago i saw an effect (i think it was EMG but it isnt on the site anymore) that cancelled out all other sound effects and only gave you the sound of the amp/fx pedals.
The company stated 'to give the effect how the fx are supposed to sound'.
Does anyone know a good site?
Thanks
Quote by jakuknown
Now for on board effects,
Ages ago i saw an effect (i think it was EMG but it isnt on the site anymore) that cancelled out all other sound effects and only gave you the sound of the amp/fx pedals.
The company stated 'to give the effect how the fx are supposed to sound'.
Does anyone know a good site?
Thanks

I'm not sure this exists. So it's an effect that makes your effects sound like they are supposed to, yet cancels all other sound effects (like what?) I'm not entirely sure what it does and why you would want it
Don't worry.
Does anyone know any cool on board effects apart from distortion?
Quote by jakuknown
Don't worry.
Does anyone know any cool on board effects apart from distortion?
mutually exclusive.

on-board effects =/= cool
cool effects =/= on-board

that's just the way it is.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Has anyone tried to put the mini KP (smaller version of the kaoss pad) in a guitar, if so where is a tutorial?

Also does anyone has one for sale in the UK
Last edited by jakuknown at May 26, 2008,