Ok, so last month I went to guitar center and bought a new set of Di' Adarrio EXP lights for my 4 or 5 month old Takamine acoustic. The stock strings were in pretty bad shape from months of abuse by a beginner guitarist, so I figured it was time for a change. Here's the problem though...2 or 3 weeks after I put the new strings on, the high E string broke. Irritating, but I had a spare pack of medium phosphor bronze strings, so it wasn't a huge deal. Now 3 weeks later, I go to tune up, and the high E breaks AGAIN! So does anyone have some suggestions for a guy desperate for decent strings that I won't have to pay out the @$$ for? and by the way, I'm not one of those guys that plays extremely hard, so that's definately not the problem. Maybe I'm just not stretchin the strings right or something, but ANY advice to help me keep maintenence costs low for my guitar would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Natrone at May 22, 2008,
Check the nut? It's not normal for strings to consistently break.
Or is it?
That could be it. It's the lowest-end you can get for Takamine. The thing is though the stock strings lasted for 4 or 5 months and werent showing any signs of weakening or breaking.
Put a heavier gauge string on the high E?
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Natrone
That could be it. It's the lowest-end you can get for Takamine. The thing is though the stock strings lasted for 4 or 5 months and werent showing any signs of weakening or breaking.

Well, from what you've said, it seems like the actual problem is in tuning up. It probably is the nut, since I'm assuming you haven't had this problem before.
that is where the string broke at both times....maybe the edges of the hole in the nut is too sharp?
Looks like it. It could also be the bridge. Basically, anything that touches that e-string is a suspect.
so what should i do to get it fixed then? should i sand it down or take it to a local shop and see what they can do? or...well this is probly the most economical...just buy a crapload of strings?
take it to a shop and get them to see if there are any sharp points. it should be a relatively quick fix if they know what they're doing. the most likely suspect is the nut.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Either move up a string gauge or you could try Elixir Anti-Rust. They're a little more expensive, but they barely rust, which could be the cause for the strings breaking.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Pfft. Not much for advice here since no one touched on what is most likely the real problem. And you said it in your original post. YOU put new strings on. The guitar didn't have any problems until YOU restrung it. That tells me that you aren't putting the strings on correctly, and you're looking for an excuse as to why they keep breaking. Stop blaming the guitar and assuming it's at fault. Sure, it COULD be, but I doubt it. When you string up, how are you wrapping the strings at the tuners? And are you using any lubricant at the nut slots so there won't be any binding? Pencil graphite works, but for $10 you can get the good stuff from MusiciansFriend called Big Bends Nut Sauce. It's like vasoline for lips but with graphite in it.
Sorry if this sounds so harsh, but from what I read of your original post, the problem is in how you are restringing it, not in a defect with the guitar. Let me know how you do it, and I'll tell you if it's right or wrong and we can take it from there, simple as that.
Quote by LeftyDave
Pfft. Not much for advice here since no one touched on what is most likely the real problem. And you said it in your original post. YOU put new strings on. The guitar didn't have any problems until YOU restrung it. That tells me that you aren't putting the strings on correctly, and you're looking for an excuse as to why they keep breaking. Stop blaming the guitar and assuming it's at fault. Sure, it COULD be, but I doubt it. When you string up, how are you wrapping the strings at the tuners? And are you using any lubricant at the nut slots so there won't be any binding? Pencil graphite works, but for $10 you can get the good stuff from MusiciansFriend called Big Bends Nut Sauce. It's like vasoline for lips but with graphite in it.
Sorry if this sounds so harsh, but from what I read of your original post, the problem is in how you are restringing it, not in a defect with the guitar. Let me know how you do it, and I'll tell you if it's right or wrong and we can take it from there, simple as that.

+1
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
LeftyDave....and everyone....sorry that I got the parts of the guitar wrong. But what I meant wasnt the nut, but the strings keep breaking at the tuning bolt. So I'm probly puttin the strings on wrong there. So....if someone could help me out here with advice on how to restring properly...instead of how i'm doin it....PLEASE TELL ME CUZ IM TIRED OF SPENDIN ALL THIS MONEY ON NEW STRINGS!!!!!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^^^ And there you have it. That's one of the resourses that I would suggest you use. Another is FretNotGuitarRepair.com.
I still don't know how you are stringing them up at the tuners, but either site will explain to you the proper way of doing it.
Hey thanks. I was apparently stringin it up wrong at the tuning post. (NEVER TRUST ABOUT.COM ARTICLES FOR YOUR GUITARS! I LEARNED THE HARD WAY!)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
This thread is awesome hahaha
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.