Hi, right, the main background on this is, i am in a band on lead guitar, we have a bassist, drummer and singer, when we first started there wasn't much spark, but then it hit us and so far we have made about 7 really great original songs, we played a couple of gigs and one or two songs at open mic nights, but recently the spark seems to have gone.

We have about 3 or 4 song and riff ideas knocking about (the drummer can play guitar and bass as well and the bassist comes up with good progressions), we got one new song partially done but i noticed the drummer and bassist seem to clash a fair bit (the drummer has a pretty big ego and the bassist likes to try and annoy people a bit), outside the band we are all good friends anyway and it hasn't affected our music or friendship but today it seemed quite heated. We were playing with each idea and couldn't make anything of them partly due to time restrictions, plus the drummer and bassist were messing about, now i hate being an asshole in bands (i think being pushy is one of the worst things someone can do), but today i was losing my temper and started rushing people to play the song rather than stand around and argue (in not such a polite way).

I want to continue this band because what we have is great, but can anyone help me how to get over this hurdle of the writers block and the clashing?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I know how you feel. I'm in a band with my best friend and his cousin (we're all really good friends) but it's hard not to be mad at one without the other getting pissed. I'd say just sit down and talk seriously about the problems you guys (or your drummer and bassist, haha) are having. Tell them that you think its very detrimental to the band for them to be acting that way (see if you can get your singer to say the same thing, haha). Basically, just let them know how you feel and if they're not jerks they should see your point. As for the writer's block, just throw ideas around, don't have like a set way you do things, just kinda let it go where it goes (if that makes any sense). Hope that helps! Good luck!
Last edited by ASITHOS at May 22, 2008,
Every band goes through this at some point or another. It generaly stems from bordom and apathy within the band.
First thing you need to do is to contact the rest of the guys and apologise for being sharp with them at the last rehearsal. A band is built on trust and friendship, so an apology will go a long way.
Next, take a week or two off from rehearsing, that's generaly all it takes when you hit a wall, a little time off, then everyone comes back to the next rehearsal refreshed, enthusiastic, and raring to go.
Try it, see how it goes, if the situation is still the same, try playing something in a completely different style to what you normaly play. Just keep trying different things until the spark lights up again (I've found it usualy happens when you start playing your usual stuff again after playing around with different styles for a while)
Apart from all that, the best cure is generaly one great new song. So if you can come up with one, that'll help.
Yeah i think thats why enthusiasm has been quite high up until now,we have come up with some really good stuff and they all sounded different to eachother (not going from jazz to hardcore death metal obviously). but the thing is we rehearse at college, and for about 2 weeks we haven't been able to get a room to practice in due to other people just taking it first, plus one of the lecturers is drumming in one of the bands so they seem to get priority, so that made my morale a bit low. Also, sometimes if we are practicing our drummers girlfriend would come into the room looking sad and so he would drop whatever hes doing, regardless of how much time we have left and go and comfort her, which annoys us all alot, i don't want to kick him out because he is good and has good ideas and can be under control alot of the time.
WHOMP

Quote by donender
Yeah i think thats why enthusiasm has been quite high up until now,we have come up with some really good stuff and they all sounded different to eachother (not going from jazz to hardcore death metal obviously). but the thing is we rehearse at college, and for about 2 weeks we haven't been able to get a room to practice in due to other people just taking it first, plus one of the lecturers is drumming in one of the bands so they seem to get priority, so that made my morale a bit low. Also, sometimes if we are practicing our drummers girlfriend would come into the room looking sad and so he would drop whatever hes doing, regardless of how much time we have left and go and comfort her, which annoys us all alot, i don't want to kick him out because he is good and has good ideas and can be under control alot of the time.

Yeah, all of those are simply little niggles, including the drummer's girlfriend and you really can't go kicking people out of the band over any of it. (well... you can... but you'd be an idiot if you did)
Your drummer has the same problem many of us do, he has a girlfriend who expects to come first, and who can blame her? Anyone in a relationship expects to come first before any silly hobby (that's how she will see it) that their partner might have.
There's three ways to cure that,
1) Split 'em up.
Which is cruel, insensitive, and if you're drummer ever found out that you were responsible for his girlfriend leaving him, you'd no longer have a drummer, but you'd probably have a lovely, shiny, black eye instead.
2) Have a band policy of 'No visitors' at rehearsals.
Which generaly works ok if it's implemented right at the start of a band. Your problem is, she's already coming to rehearsals so to stop her now would be akin to an insult to her from the entire band, which means the drummer will get a really hard time from her and this will have a knock on effect for your band. Remember, what effects any members of the band also effects the band itself.
3) Distract her.
Have lots of other people at the rehearsals who are all there just to watch the band play and who will all start slow handclapping or shouting stuff like 'hey, are you gonna be long?' whenever she takes up too much of the drummer's time.
Or, have her best girlfriend come along to rehearsals, they can sit nattering about the price of shoes or whatever in the corner while you guys get on with your practicing.
Y'know, in a way, it's a shame that you're not paying for practice time because there's nothing like a musician having to pay out money only to sit and talk to his girlfriend all night to make him prioritise his time.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, all of those are simply little niggles, including the drummer's girlfriend and you really can't go kicking people out of the band over any of it. (well... you can... but you'd be an idiot if you did)
Your drummer has the same problem many of us do, he has a girlfriend who expects to come first, and who can blame her? Anyone in a relationship expects to come first before any silly hobby (that's how she will see it) that their partner might have.
There's three ways to cure that,
1) Split 'em up.
Which is cruel, insensitive, and if you're drummer ever found out that you were responsible for his girlfriend leaving him, you'd no longer have a drummer, but you'd probably have a lovely, shiny, black eye instead.
2) Have a band policy of 'No visitors' at rehearsals.
Which generaly works ok if it's implemented right at the start of a band. Your problem is, she's already coming to rehearsals so to stop her now would be akin to an insult to her from the entire band, which means the drummer will get a really hard time from her and this will have a knock on effect for your band. Remember, what effects any members of the band also effects the band itself.
3) Distract her.
Have lots of other people at the rehearsals who are all there just to watch the band play and who will all start slow handclapping or shouting stuff like 'hey, are you gonna be long?' whenever she takes up too much of the drummer's time.
Or, have her best girlfriend come along to rehearsals, they can sit nattering about the price of shoes or whatever in the corner while you guys get on with your practicing.
Y'know, in a way, it's a shame that you're not paying for practice time because there's nothing like a musician having to pay out money only to sit and talk to his girlfriend all night to make him prioritise his time.

Well the thing is we rehearse at college and shes in the same class as us, so is her best girlfriend, as insensetive i may seem when i say this, she could just save it for later with our drummer and go to her friend if she wants company or feels upset, but considering the fact that we have 2 big gigs coming up, one the wednesday after this one coming and one the friday after that, and we want to get at least 2 or 3 more songs down, but this will be harder to do if we keep getting distracted.

I am not gonna break them up of course because i will most likeley get found out, plus they are both pretty good friends of mine. Hopefully we'll sort this out, i mean we did get one more song made that day and we need a little time to perfect it, but considering we have a few more ideas knocking about it should be ok hopefully.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at May 24, 2008,