Poll Options
View poll results: Are SG's UGLY?
Yes
95 28%
No
245 72%
Voters: 340.
Page 2 of 2
3 humbuckers provide almost no tonal advantage at all. If anything, they are a bad thing because of increased magnetic pull on the strings, which cause buzz. You also cant use hybrid pickup combos like neck/bridge, neck/mid, or mid/neck. Theres only neck, mid, or bridge, no combos.

You also lose more sustain because of the larger cavity to capacitate all 3 humbuckers.

Trust me, I've been where you're at when I saw my first 3 humbucker Epiphone.
Three-pickup guitars do intead look great but they're actually a downgrade, for all the reasons Twisted Magnum said. Plus personally, I find the middle pickup gets in the way of actual playing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I love it, i really dig the fact that it has three pickups.
You can blend the pickups together, since three of the knobs are Volume, and one master tone knob. Very versitile guitar, and it sounds amazing with the three 57's
I really like the sound of bridge/mid, it's like the middle possition on a normal SG, but it has the bite of the bridge
The only negativ thing i can say about that guitar is, it doesn't heva a 50's style neck.
Quote by Simto
I love it, i really dig the fact that it has three pickups.
You can blend the pickups together, since three of the knobs are Volume, and one master tone knob. Very versitile guitar, and it sounds amazing with the three 57's
I really like the sound of bridge/mid, it's like the middle possition on a normal SG, but it has the bite of the bridge
The only negativ thing i can say about that guitar is, it doesn't heva a 50's style neck.
you can only do that stuff if you change all the wiring. Stock, you can only select one pickup to be on at any time.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I personally don't like it
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Dude... Chery SGs... mmmm.... beautiful!
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by Sammy2K7
some are nice, some are horrible. like most guitars.

like a nice old cherry red one with a bigsby whammy is nice, but not the gothic one

Pssh. Satin black SG > Gloss black SG.

ESP Vipers are ugly, but classic Gibson styled ones are lovely.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I personally hate the shape of the SG, regardless of the finish and hardware on it. I don't doubt it's playability, as I've tried a couple myself, but I absolutely despise the way it looks.

But to be fair, I really only like the LP shape and this:

That's pretty much it.

EDIT: And the Iceman.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Last edited by Skar at May 22, 2008,
sg`s rock, gimme a cherry red 68 w/ black pic guard.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by KidBARTLEY
I am not stating my own opinion. I love the sound the sg makes it is veyr nice but most of the ones i have seen are well ugly. And also i am not a little 10 year old i just was talking to one of my mates about them and he said i should put a thread up about it to see other peoples opinions. Jesus the only erason why wee need admins is to stop you from spamming other peoples threads.

you say that i am spamming? u spammed the forum when u made this post, cause no one cares about htis particular post.

damn i hate these lame posts!.
Quote by MrFlibble
Adding to the 'making SGs look hot' picture collection...

Leo from Jaggedy Ann (AC/DC with big boobs) with a Gibson SG Goddess in Skyburst - most beautiful SG ever. Someone buy me one please.

I'd honestly prefer that pic to be without the SG.

SGs don't do it for me, the little pointy horns just look like something from a comic book.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
NO! WTF is wrong with you!?!?! SGs are gorgeous
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Depends on the version. I love the '61 version, yet the '67 (and all subsequent versions) piss me off. also when gibson do that red and gold crap on some of them it looks really stupid. the sexiest SG ever is Pete Townshend's jnr/special or whatever it is. it has dual P-90's and looks awesome.
they play beautifully but i dont like them that much so i'd say yes, i think they are ugly

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
but with a stetsbar.......now THAT is dang shmexy!

and a yellow one:

... i just came
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Angus_Junior35
but with a stetsbar.......now THAT is dang shmexy!

No way. Stetsbars are feck-arse ugly. That Vibrola Lyre is pretty cool, but I can't stand the look of the Stetsbar, solely because of where the arm is fastened. If only they'd move it to the side...

and this one is outrageously camp, but dang I practically "Cream" myself whenever I see it...

geddit? geddit? lolololololol

Quote by stigmeister2win
you say that i am spamming? u spammed the forum when u made this post, cause no one cares about htis particular post.

damn i hate these lame posts!.

If nobody cares then why are there 69 posts? ask ureself that. Also it has actually been a very interesting poll and thread as it has lead to a arguement about sg's
i dont think they're ugly guitars but i really do think it looks weird to see someone play them
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by ross1234
i dont think they're ugly guitars but i really do think it looks weird to see someone play them
Guitars... being played? NEVER!
Quote by Ian hawkins
Sg's Are Awesome!
How Dare You Even Us The Word Sg And Ugly Together Like That?

How Dare You Capitalize Every Word Of The Sentence?

but IMO, SGs are beautiful.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Why did you feel the need to make such a worthless thread?

Ah! I know! Could it be....

Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
imo sg has a more deeper growling tone thn les paul. but les paul are nothing special. its just a thick body with short cutaway. now prs on the other hand. oh man. there guitars are a made to perfection, especially the custom 24 with 10 top and birds
Quote by Skar
I personally hate the shape of the SG, regardless of the finish and hardware on it. I don't doubt it's playability, as I've tried a couple myself, but I absolutely despise the way it looks.

But to be fair, I really only like the LP shape and this:

That's pretty much it.

EDIT: And the Iceman.

well you definitely found the world's ugliest headstock
Playing Metallica on my Gibson SG Standard got me flashed by my buddies girlfriend (sorry, Chris)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
like any guitar, some are bound to look bad
but they vast majority are beautiful
I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think SGs are ugly. The SG is one of the sexiest looking guitars ever made.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 2 of 2