hey guys, so as some of you may know, y band's been lookin for a drummer for ages now, my friend (who cudnt join becoz of final exams) finished his exams and is free to play, he hasnt got a drumm set do we rented this apartment for 2 and a half hours today and it cost us 9 pounds, 3 pounds each (sounds good no?) the apartment has a drumm set, amplifiers a giant PA system with mixer and power amp, microphones a guitar and the whole place is sound proof. the perfect place for our first practice!! it was great!!!!! the rythm guitarist played a riff, i improvised/solo and the drummer came up with sick beats!!
i think he really like it and i know that my friend and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so here i finaly come to the point: 1)the drummer hasnt sed he'll join yet and i don't know how to ask him.
2) i need a way to convince him/make him join (he alredy plays in sum other hobby band)
3) he ives like 35 mins away from the practice spot, is it too far away??

he sed he enjoyd it and we are playin again next week hopefully, plz help me out.

im rlly glad about this!!!!
hey.. i have a rhythm guitarist who lives 25 mins away from our practice spots and unless your drummer can drive, it'll be too far. 25 minutes is a pain even. As for asking him, just ask him how he liked it. If he liked it he'll join. I don't know how old you are but you seem a bit young, so i would suggest acting a little more official, and don't beg him if he doesn't join.
Wow, We have to pay £30 for the practice space for 3 hours (£7.50 each), you've got a bargain.

Is it 25 minutes walking or driving?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by thedefrockednun
hey guys, so as some of you may know, y band's been lookin for a drummer for ages now, my friend (who cudnt join becoz of final exams) finished his exams and is free to play, he hasnt got a drumm set do we rented this apartment for 2 and a half hours today and it cost us 9 pounds, 3 pounds each (sounds good no?) the apartment has a drumm set, amplifiers a giant PA system with mixer and power amp, microphones a guitar and the whole place is sound proof. the perfect place for our first practice!! it was great!!!!! the rythm guitarist played a riff, i improvised/solo and the drummer came up with sick beats!!
i think he really like it and i know that my friend and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so here i finaly come to the point: 1)the drummer hasnt sed he'll join yet and i don't know how to ask him.
2) i need a way to convince him/make him join (he alredy plays in sum other hobby band)
3) he ives like 35 mins away from the practice spot, is it too far away??

he sed he enjoyd it and we are playin again next week hopefully, plz help me out.

im rlly glad about this!!!!

Well to start with, the musicians technical term for what you're attempting to do (to take another band's drummer) is called 'poaching.' It can be frowned upon by many musicians, usualy by the more professional ones to whom any kind of upheaval in a band can cost them money from their livelyhoods, but apart from that....
The guy looks like he's already interested anyway, he turned up for the first jam session didn't he? He totaly enjoyed it didn't he?
If you've already arranged another practi.... erm... jam session, that's the first step towards it becoming a real band.
If he's had no problems getting to the last jam and has no problems getting to the next one, I don't think the 35 minute journey will be much to worry about. Just be prepaired to be flexible with the guy and take the amount of travelling that he has to do to jam with you guys into consideration.
I think the best way to broach the subject of him joining your band would be to stop whatever you're doing halfway through the next jam session, just as everyone is really getting into it or just as everyone is sharing a joke and having a good laugh together, and say to him 'Hey, this sounds so good, how do you fancy playing a gig together sometime?'
If he says 'Yeah, what a good idea!' or words to that affect, you've got yourselves a drummer and you can start rehearsals towards your first gig.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 23, 2008,
if 35 minutes is too much really depends on how much the drummer would like to play with you..if he's passionate about it, he'll do it. I he doesn't feel like it, don't beg.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

to answer slacker, the drummer is in a "hobby" band, they just goof around and dont make proper music, thats why i think hes so intreted in a nother practice session.

also his parents are divorced and at the moment hes on holiday, so hes livin with his dad, whose houise is really near the place but his real house is 35 minute train ride.

He sed hell try and come even if it takes half an hour.

the problem i have is askin, wud it be awkward or weird to send an sms askin if he wants to join???

ill giv u an example:

hey miki, rlly enjoyd the last practice, btw r u intrested in "oficially" joining the band? if yes ill put ur name up on the site.

thx, cya thursday.
Quote by thedefrockednun
to answer slacker, the drummer is in a "hobby" band, they just goof around and dont make proper music, thats why i think hes so intreted in a nother practice session.

also his parents are divorced and at the moment hes on holiday, so hes livin with his dad, whose houise is really near the place but his real house is 35 minute train ride.

the problem i have is askin, wud it be awkward or weird to send an sms askin if he wants to join???

ill giv u an example:

hey miki, rlly enjoyd the last practice, btw r u intrested in "oficially" joining the band? if yes ill put ur name up on the site.

thx, cya thursday.

Ask him face to face, don't send him a text message that looks like it's written by a ****ing retard. How hard can it be to ask? It's not like he is a hot chick that you wanna bang.
id be better at askin the hot chick tbh, at least i have more experience in that lol, as for askin him face to face, it seems weird to just suddenly after 2 jam sessions to say: hey u wanna join the band? r u sure an sms is a band idea?
Quote by thedefrockednun
to answer slacker, the drummer is in a "hobby" band, they just goof around and dont make proper music, thats why i think hes so intreted in another practice session.

Heh heh, I was only kidding about the 'poaching' comment.
But yeah, it does sound like he's in a position that he would want to 'move on' from.

Quote by thedefrockednun

ill giv u an example:

thx, cya thursday.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem, no matter how you ask him. He seems keen enough.
But I would ask him to his face rather than sending an sms. Asking him to his face means he has no time to think about it (and all the travelling that he's about to commit himself to doing) before giving you an answer.
You could say something like 'Hey, y'know I think we should officialy call this a band, you're obviously the guy for us, whaddaya say?'
Or, like I said earlier, if there really is a problem of some sort with asking him to actualy join the band, then rather than asking him to join the band, just ask him if he wants to play a gig with you guys. This puts him in the position of having to practice regularly with you guys towards a gig without actualy having to commit himself to saying that he's a member of your band.
Eventualy, by the time you play your fist gig, it'll just be assumed by everyone, including yourselves and the drummer, that he is a member of your band.

You could do it like that, but seriously though, stop wasting time and just ask the guy, he's already demonstrated how committed he is to your band by being willing to travel for half an hour to maker it to rehearsals.
Sounds to me like he's just itching for you to ask him to join.
ok cool thx, hes callin me today to see which day we can jam next week, maybe ill ask him then.

hx evry1 for the help.
Quote by thedefrockednun
ok cool thx, hes callin me today to see which day we can jam next week, maybe ill ask him then.

hx evry1 for the help.

Anytime bud, let us know how this turns out OK?
yh ok, i talked to the rythm guitarist and he sed we shud wait till next practice to ask him, which is wat most of u told me to do so i think we'll ask him sum time next week, ill let u all kno wat happened.
YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!! HE AGREED TO JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE FINALY HAVE A DRUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was gonna ask him on thursday in person, but today his younger half brother (who i teach guitar) told me that the drummer was happy about the fact that he can join!!

he called me so that i can show him our myspace, and i was sorta givin him a "tour" of the site and it slipped outta my mouth: on the left is all the band info, btw do u want me to put ur name up there???
and he sed yeah sounds good!!!!!!! for the time being we have drummer, man im happy!
congratulations! I hope everything turns out ok..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by thedefrockednun
YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!! HE AGREED TO JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE FINALY HAVE A DRUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was gonna ask him on thursday in person, but today his younger half brother (who i teach guitar) told me that the drummer was happy about the fact that he can join!!

he called me so that i can show him our myspace, and i was sorta givin him a "tour" of the site and it slipped outta my mouth: on the left is all the band info, btw do u want me to put ur name up there???
and he sed yeah sounds good!!!!!!! for the time being we have drummer, man im happy!

Result!
Nice one bud, congratulations. Y'see? We told you he would.
There's probably a drummers forum somewhere on the net where this drummer guy's been asking how he should approach you guys to ask if he can join the band perminantly and is now saying ''YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ASKED ME TO JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M FINALY IN A DECENT BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!''

Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 28, 2008,
lol i wish, no hes hungarian (speaks english fluently tho) im sure he doesnt go on this type of forum, anyway all we need is a singer (and lateron a bass player) but for now most importantly a singer.

EDIT: we also have new band tshirts
9 Pounds!? Jesus, you guys are getting a great deal.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by Wiirdo
9 Pounds!? Jesus, you guys are getting a great deal.

Heh, we get to rehearse for free in a room upstairs in the local pub because our practice sessions attract people who buy beer from the bar.
I'm actualy thinking of charging them to let us rehearse in their club because they make so much profit when we practice.
My band needs somewhere to practice, but there's only one possible place in my area, and the people that run it, I'm sure they would charge us a lot. Also, it's a youth centre, so we'd only be able to have it for a while and nobody has two of their instrument, so it means we'd have to carry all our stuff there, then back. Any tips?
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by Wiirdo
My band needs somewhere to practice, but there's only one possible place in my area, and the people that run it, I'm sure they would charge us a lot. Also, it's a youth centre, so we'd only be able to have it for a while and nobody has two of their instrument, so it means we'd have to carry all our stuff there, then back. Any tips?

In an ideal situation, you'd have the kit, instrument amps and PA set up perminantly in your practice room and bring your guitars with you, but needs must. You simply have to do whatever you can to ensure you get to rehearse, whether that's carrying gear all over the place or paying over the odds.
Quite a few pubs and clubs in my area hire out their function rooms to bands that wish to rehearse. Most of them already have a small built in PA system that's perfectly good enough for a vocal PA and most of them also have a small room that you can store your gear in that also has a lock on the door.
Maybe you could see if any of your local pubs or clubs can help you out?
Failing that, another novel approach to the problem that some of my mates took was to hire a small industrial unit, deck it out with soundproofing and split it into four rooms, one room to store gear in, two rehearsal rooms and a room to just sit in. Then they hired out rehearsal time to all the other bands in the area that were struggling to find somewhere to practice and they are now making a tidy profit.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 1, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
In an ideal situation, you'd have the kit, instrument amps and PA set up perminantly in your practice room and bring your guitars with you, but needs must. You simply have to do whatever you can to ensure you get to rehearse, whether that's carring gear all over the place or paying over the odds.
Quite a few pubs and clubs in my area hire out their function rooms to bands that wish to rehearse. Most of them already have a small built in PA system that's perfectly good enough for a vocal PA and most of them also have a small room that you can store your gear in that also has a lock on the door.
Maybe you could see if any of your local pubs or clubs can help you out?
Failing that, another novel approach to the problem that some of my mates took was to hire a small industrial unit, deck it out with soundproofing and split it into four rooms, one room to store gear in, two rehearsal rooms and a room to just sit in. Then they hired out rehearsal time to all the other bands in the area that were struggling to find somewhere to practice and they are now making a tidy profit.

thats the exact decription of the place we hired, if i convert the price into pounds we pay EXACTLY: 4 pounds per hour, divided by 3 we each pay about 1,3 pounds lol, per hour we stay usuually for 2-3 hours and pay 3 pounds each.
Our drummer just has a large basement with a nice surround sound system we run everything through. It takes a lot of adapters, but at least it's free.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Quote by thedefrockednun
thats the exact decription of the place we hired, if i convert the price into pounds we pay EXACTLY: 4 pounds per hour, divided by 3 we each pay about 1,3 pounds lol, per hour we stay usuually for 2-3 hours and pay 3 pounds each.

Is it your kit and amps that's perminantly set up or is it the rehearsal place's gear?