My band had some shirts made for us and the total cost came out at $100. My band is a trio, so if we all kicked in about 33 dollars, we could cover it. The problem is, my bandmates seem reluctant to pay up their end of the bargain. I know I'm not paying for these myself, because I'm not at the point where I can just throw around 100 dollar bills like crazy. Should I just flat out tell them that they have to pay up or it's a no-go on the shirts?
yeah of course......you're not going to pay it yourself. The band should pay it
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
If they made the commitment to pay, then you could say they have to. But if they didn't, then I don't see how you can force them, even if they are for the whole band.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Pay for them yourself but keep all of the profit from selling them and don't let them have any of that money.

This sounds like the best idea to me, but like you've already said, you can't afford to pay for all the shirts yourself (just out of interest, how many shirts are you getting for $100?)
The band really should all chip in an equal amount each to pay for the shirts and then (once enough money has been recouped to pay for the next batch) everyone takes out an equal amount of profit.
Wanna know how to get 'em to fork out some money?
Get a 'sample' shirt made up with your band name/logo on it. I don't know if it's exactly the same there as it is here in Britian but here, (and I'm presuming you're talking about screen printing here) to get the first sample shirt made, you usualy have to pay for the screen to be made first, in Britain this usualy costs around £25 (about $50) plus the cost of the shirt (about £3) but once that screen is made, the rest of the shirts will be printed from it so you've just paid for roughly half of the shirts to be printed.
My point is, you can then walk into your next rehearsals with your band's name/logo emblazoned across your chest. It will be the only t-shirt of your band in existance and the rest of your band will be as jealous as hell. They'll really want one too, at which point you tell 'em that if they fork out $33 each, they can have one each too, plus 97 more of them that you can sell at gigs.
Once they've paid up, you can recoup the extra $20 that you forked out to have the screen made and use the rest to get your first batch of t-shirts printed.
You're next batch should be cheaper because you don't have to pay for another screen to be made, so that means more profit for the band.

Of course, looking at the thread starter's post again, it looks like they've already been printed.
So tell 'em to pay up or it's a no go for the shirts and if you mess around the shirt printers like this, you'll never get the same deal again.
But try to get one 'sample' shirt from the batch, talk to the printers and ask for one in exchange for paying half the bill, then you can still do what I suggested earlier.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 23, 2008,
Thanks for the advice, Slacker. I'll keep that stuff in mind when (if) we get more merch made. The shirts are coming in a pack and are already printed when they get here.

Since you asked, we're getting 10 shirts made at 10 dollars a piece, which comes out to $100.
^ thats a little costly... is you band big enough to make a profit off those shirts? i mean its justified for say... radiohead... to charge 25$ for a shirt... but even 15$ seems a little steep if you guys arent a big act
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I was going to say that you should try and get a few pre-orders, but it hardly seems worth the effort if it is for only ten shirts. Do you only have ten fans that would want shirts, or are they for yourselves or something? You may want to consider just going the diy route if it's that small or a number. You could do it the easy way by running to the store and picking up some iron on transfers. Otherwise you could make a stencil and spray paint some shirts or learn to screen print (if you go on YouTube, there are plenty of videos). Any of these options would be less expensive than $10 per shirt (and then would actually give you some room for profit.)

But, if you are dead set on buying screen printed shirts at insane prices, see if you can get some people to cough up the cash ahead of time. Even it it was just three or four, if you were selling them at $15, you would be have $45 to $60 of the costs already paid. (This is assuming, of course, that you have a couple of devoted fans that have already promised to buy shirts.)
Quote by Potato_Souffle
I was going to say that you should try and get a few pre-orders, but it hardly seems worth the effort if it is for only ten shirts. Do you only have ten fans that would want shirts, or are they for yourselves or something? You may want to consider just going the diy route if it's that small or a number. You could do it the easy way by running to the store and picking up some iron on transfers. Otherwise you could make a stencil and spray paint some shirts or learn to screen print (if you go on YouTube, there are plenty of videos). Any of these options would be less expensive than $10 per shirt (and then would actually give you some room for profit.)

But, if you are dead set on buying screen printed shirts at insane prices, see if you can get some people to cough up the cash ahead of time. Even it it was just three or four, if you were selling them at $15, you would be have $45 to $60 of the costs already paid. (This is assuming, of course, that you have a couple of devoted fans that have already promised to buy shirts.)

Learning to screen print yourself is probably the favourite. It's easy to do (as long as your design isn't too complicated and has only a single colour) and definately the cheapest option, (as long as you can get a decent deal on wholesale T-shirts, you're looking at spending no more than a dollar or two on each shirt) infact, if I wasn't such a lazy slacker, I'd do it myself.