i was just wonderin this today, I've been playin quite awhile but just thought today, why do guitar necks taper so theyre smaller near the head? My theory is i'd rather have more room near the head for open chords, and less room down the neck to play faster (maybe i'd change my mind if a guitar was made like that, just my odd thought of the day)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by kai29
you have no idea what you're talking about do you?

That's why he's asking.
kai, don't be a jerk. Why not answer the question, instead of making a meaningless post?
Personally, I find I like guitars with wide necks, and a lot of those have very little taper. My guess is that while it has to be a certain width at the bridge (though it can vary slightly between bridge types), width can vary more at the nut depending on taste. Thinner necks thus have more taper at the nut since they have to achieve the same width as a wider neck at the bridge.
Hope that made sense.
the Synyster gate custom has a neck thats like thick at the bottom and thinner near the top......so does every other guitar but the synyster gates custom has it aswell
Quote by nemjeff13
i was just wonderin this today, I've been playin quite awhile but just thought today, why do guitar necks taper so theyre smaller near the head? My theory is i'd rather have more room near the head for open chords, and less room down the neck to play faster (maybe i'd change my mind if a guitar was made like that, just my odd thought of the day)

you mean the width of the fret board? like why is it closer together near the nut and further apart near the bridge? if so, im pretty sure it has to do with how the strings vibrate. they need to be further spaced as they get longer because the further away from the nut you get, the wider the vibrations are. im pretty sure thats why.

if you mean the actual thickness of the neck, i dont know. guitars like strat would actually be thicker at the nut and thinner further up. this has to do with stoping notes from "fretting out" when bending on higher notes. the fretboard is rounder near the nut because its better for playing chords with. but these days i think a lot of guitars have the same thickness throughout and have a flatter fretboard.
Quote by Nightfyre
kai, don't be a jerk. Why not answer the question, instead of making a meaningless post?
Personally, I find I like guitars with wide necks, and a lot of those have very little taper. My guess is that while it has to be a certain width at the bridge (though it can vary slightly between bridge types), width can vary more at the nut depending on taste. Thinner necks thus have more taper at the nut since they have to achieve the same width as a wider neck at the bridge.
Hope that made sense.

I wasn't. It's called sarcasm. Learn it. It's good.

Also, guitars have lower taper toward the headstock because of the headstock width and shape. It also wouldn't be very strong if you had a larger neck toward the headstock than where it connects to the body. Broken neck= Bad guitar. I would imagine that sustain would be depleted more as well.
Quote by Nightfyre
Hope that made sense.

I first thought you were talking to me D:

but I actually wanted to know also, and this answered it ^^ Thanks =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Blind, the vibrations are widest at the midpoint of the string.
Kai (kai29, anyway. sorry for the confusion ), sorry I missed the sarcasm, but sarcasm doesn't carry well over the internet. Without any indication in your post that you were being sarcastic, I naturally assumed you meant what you said.
I just had another thought: weight. A guitar with a neck that is wide at the nut would be very neck-heavy and thus unbalanced. The tapered neck shifts the center of gravity towards the body and so it balances better.
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 22, 2008,
Quote by kai29

Also, guitars have lower taper toward the headstock because of the headstock width and shape. It also wouldn't be very strong if you had a larger neck toward the headstock than where it connects to the body. Broken neck= Bad guitar. I would imagine that sustain would be depleted more as well.

I think you need to learn sarcasm, because it's quite apparent nobody else thought it was sarcasm. Sarcasm requires a pretext to distinguish it from speech intended to be a serious statement. You provided none before or after your purported "sarcastic" statement. I therefore submit that it is YOU that must learn it.

On topic, I think it has to do with the fact that strings vibrate more widely farther away from anchor points, so the strings spread.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Crazybudget
the Synyster gate custom has a neck thats like thick at the bottom and thinner near the top......so does every other guitar but the synyster gates custom has it aswell

anyone else notice the synyster custom had nothing to do with the topic at hand?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
yeah I meant the width of the fretboard at the nut...I def think the weight has somethin to do with it, didnt think of that. I just got a nasvhille del tele with a wider fretboard and less of a taper, thats what made me think of it...haha and thanks for the random synyster gates post
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by kai29

Yes, it was. This post is simply to save face.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
I think you need to learn sarcasm, because it's quite apparent nobody else thought it was sarcasm. Sarcasm requires a pretext to distinguish it from speech intended to be a serious statement. You provided none before or after your purported "sarcastic" statement. I therefore submit that it is YOU that must learn it.

On topic, I think it has to do with the fact that strings vibrate more widely farther away from anchor points, so the strings spread.

Not true. Maybe you need to go back to your english class and learn a little more.
Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking.

And Flann, it was sarcasm. If you knew me then you would know I am highly sarcastic and mostly in a negative manner.