I ask you guys. I've seen a lot of bands who released music in their twenties coming back and still being great in their 40's and 50's. You look at the guys in Judas Priest, Testament, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and to a lesser extent Metallica (their music not so much). With the exception of maybe Ozzy Osbourne, all these guys are releasing great music that's more mature and artistic and they've done a good job of keeping themselves relevant and from being the creepy old metal guys. They're not like a lot of 70's/80's rock guys who look burned out and its getting sad that they're still touring. So any of you guys have an opinion on this?

Partially inspired by listenthrough of Testament's new album and reading a Rolling Stone review of Iron Maiden's recent album which said they were maturing gracefully.
Most of the bands mentioned had really crappy mid-period albums. But yeah I mean like Maiden and Priest are the lords of metal really, Priest for the most part are pushing 55/60 and still ripping it up. Amazing.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Most of the bands mentioned had really crappy mid-period albums. But yeah I mean like Maiden and Priest are the lords of metal really, Priest for the most part are pushing 55/60 and still ripping it up. Amazing.

agreed

And even though Holt is the last original member of Exodus, this Exodus comeback has been amazing. And Celtic Frost's Monotheist turned out splendidly.

Btw, is the frost still continuing without Tom? and if so... How and Why...?
2 words: Lemmy Kilmister.
He's 60 something, ugly as sin, and still gets groupies. I'm sorry, but that man is nothing short of amazing.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
dude, IMO Ozzy is still great. He still sang great in Black Rain. The album just didn't exactly sound like a true Ozzy album, but what do you expect considering that Zakk Wylde is in BLS? I've still got faith in Ozzy.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
Metal is ageing amazingly well.

There ya go.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by dead-fish
He's 60 something, ugly as sin, and still gets groupies. I'm sorry, but that man is nothing short of amazing.

'THIS ONE IS CALLED....''STEAL YOUR FACE'

A living legend.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
this isnt exactly "metal" but alice cooper is in his 60's and still putting out records, touring like crazy and killing himself at the end of every show. hes freaking amazing.
Quote by powerhead
Btw, is the frost still continuing without Tom? and if so... How and Why...?

No, but hes probably going to do the same thing he did in 84. Same line-up and sound, different name.
its just weird for me because you can look back on some music and think "yeah i can see them being good in their 50's" like say Paul McCartney or the Allman Brothers.

go back to say 84 and look at Dave Mustaine you'd think i was crazy if i said 25 years from now he'll still be around, mature and releasing great music.
Quote by Psychopathology
No, but hes probably going to do the same thing he did in 84. Same line-up and sound, different name.

http://www.metalsucks.net/?p=5469

The name sounds like a fucking transformer.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
http://www.metalsucks.net/?p=5469

The name sounds like a fucking transformer.

aka Sexbot?

Wait...

Did you mean that as a verb, or adjective?
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Haha no, the name of the band.. its Tryptikon, it just reminded me of the Decepticons.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
If the band is still around, touring, and selling, then they've done well

If the band is not, then no, because all the members either run crappy strip joints or followed in the footsteps of their fathers and became accountatnts or some Sh*t.
Quote by Eric 666
Metal is aging like fine wine.

It does get better with age. I think it's due to a few things - the fact that metal has never been in fashion, but never out of fashion, making it immune to trends; true metal fans won't change their tastes easily, and every generation breeds dedicated metal fans; the fact that is so different from other sub genres of rock music gives it a true subculture with - for the most part - decent fans who are one of the reason why the veteran bands actually keep playing and writing good music.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
It's ageing great. The truly great old metal stays timeless, and will be listened to for years. The stuff that is more typical of a period, for example the hair stuff of the 80s, gradually gets forgotten and only the immortal classics remain.

Meanwhile, newer, better, faster, heavier, more symphonic, more technical, and just plain different stuff is coming out all the time. And it still stays true to itself; real metal is still undeniably metal no matter how much it mutates.
Quote by freddaahh
It does get better with age. I think it's due to a few things - the fact that metal has never been in fashion, but never out of fashion, making it immune to trends; true metal fans won't change their tastes easily, and every generation breeds dedicated metal fans; the fact that is so different from other sub genres of rock music gives it a true subculture with - for the most part - decent fans who are one of the reason why the veteran bands actually keep playing and writing good music.

Are you kidding? Metal is a huge trend right now. There are many true fans out there, but just as many 15-years who claim to be metalheads, yet only listen to Pantera and Metallica, with no real respect for the genre
Quote by dead-fish

I wish I could be one of lemmy's moles.
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
^
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I bet Lemmy's groupies are nasty biker sluts who have moles on their vaginas.

..and the combined moles fit together like puzzle pieces!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
^

You laugh, but it is evident that you want to be the other mole.

Quote by guitgrinder
I bet Lemmy's groupies are nasty biker sluts who have moles on their vaginas.

..and the combined moles fit together like puzzle pieces!

Jealousy has never been more obvious.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish

Totally! What's sexier than a 60 year old biker chick whose had the train run on her rollin' up her clit like a taquito?

I'm GREEN with envy.
Testament's new album is absolutely amazing. And I can't wait to hear what Metallica have been working on. Even after that last album which... I don't even want to think about, I still have strong faith in them. I heard the "new song 1" and "new song 2" on youtube, and they definitely have potential. Maiden's last album kicked some serious ass. Priest was incredible at the VH1 Rock Honors. Hell, I even enjoyed Ozzy's last album. It wasn't as great as his old ones, obviously, but he can still rock just fine. I went to a Slayer concert last year, and they're just as insane as they used to be.

Metal will live on forever, IMO. It might lose its popularity, but it will always have a strong fanbase. I plan on raising my kids to be metalheads myself, but god knows what kind of crappy music popular culture will shove up their asses by then.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by dead-fish

Exactly what I was thinking, Slarti.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
^ I agree
As for the question, metal is doing just fine in terms of ageing
I have a lot of respect for bands that can put out great material after 20+ years like Vader.

I have a lot of respect for Judas Priest pushing the age and still being very tight, motivated, and technical live.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by freddaahh

Obvious to all true Music loving Metal fans, but still +1.

Quote by Terror Kovenant
I have a lot of respect for bands that can put out great material after 20+ years like Vader.

I have a lot of respect for Judas Priest pushing the age and still being very tight, motivated, and technical live.

As do I
Quote by Terror Kovenant

Exactly.

Even if Vader occaisionally have the song that sounds a lot like Wings or Xeper.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by slayer1516
Are you kidding? Metal is a huge trend right now. There are many true fans out there, but just as many 15-years who claim to be metalheads, yet only listen to Pantera and Metallica, with no real respect for the genre

Metal isn't a trend now, or not at least a mainstream one. The trends are emo, indie, nu-rave, and all that endless bollocks which has had constant media coverage and thousands of new bands cashing in on the popularity and thousands more kids getting sucked into the new trend. Metal is not like that, because, most people hate it or are oblivious of it, but the ones who know and love it will love it for ever.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too