Is it just me, or does the metronome seem to slow down when you are playing along with it, and speed back up when you stop. I was playing sextuplets at 126 BMP's yesterday, and it seemed that I was perfectly in time, but every time I would stop playing, the metronome seemed to speed up slightly, as if I was out of time while playing. But I was even counting the beats out loud to check that I was in time. Did anyone else notice this? Is this the time time-warping John Petrucci is talking about?
Last edited by one vision at May 22, 2008,
Ghosts. Only way to explain it.
Or gypsies... those dang gypsies...
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
nice one, Deagle-Eyes. lol.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Maybe there was a.. gnome.. speeding the tempo up when you turned your back to the METROGNOME!

Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Maybe there was a.. gnome.. speeding the tempo up when you turned your back to the METROGNOME!

I was going to say some thing cleaver but +1
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Dude, your probably just playing out of time. Your playing to fast maybe?... or it could actually be some evil spirit having a laugh with you...
Make sure you are playing in time. But if you are, which you may be, just know that time is relative. I seem to be asleep for 1 second when I am actually asleep for hours. *shrug*

Quote by one vision
Is this the time time-warping John Petrucci is talking about?

Nope. Shawn Lane speed is necessary in order to time warp. Petrucci is just ignorant.
OK well there's no rational explaination for that. 120 bpm is not that slow by the way. Unless your playing whole notes. Turn it down to 80 bpm and plays eighth notes or two notes per click and see if its still doing it. If it is, emmm... exorcist may be needed or it could be just faulty. I hope that helps in any way cause' you got a really weird problem there mate.
Some metronomes do suck and go out of time, but an electronic click track should do the trick.

But you're likely just rushing the tempo. This is natural, but should be eliminated by metronome practice.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Some metronomes do suck and go out of time, but an electronic click track should do the trick.

But you're likely just rushing the tempo. This is natural, but should be eliminated by metronome practice.

True, I guess. I have good timing, but I don't practice with a metronome often, so maybe I'm just not used to the effects.
I sometimes feel the same way.

Time flies when you're having fun, it might be a related phenomenon due to your concentration or something.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums